what is canon to you and why?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Re: what is canon to you and why?

Post by sylvia_north »

MoondogJR wrote:For me the books are canon. Yes, there are A LOT of inconsistancies. But most of them I can 'filter out' in my mind.

But there's one that particularly bothers me since the new season is airing. I'll add a spoiler tag because of the place where this topic is.
Spoiler:
Tamara Preston receives the dossier (TSHOTP) in 2016. I think it's safe to say the show takes place in 2013 or 2014 (1989 Lucy is pregnant, Wally Brando is 24).
This doesn't make any sense, because it's clear to me that Tamara Preston reads the dossier before the events in season 3. Or am I misinterpreting something here? Please enlighten me! :)
It bothers me more than other continuity errors, because both works were made so close to each other by the two main show-creators working toghether and it seems odd Frost nor Lynch talked about this to each other.
Spoiler:
Cole mails the dossier to Tamara Preston at an address in Twin Peaks, you can see it in the book trailer. A redditor said "Cooper slams his head into the mirror on March 28th, 1989. Marlon Brando's birthday is April 3rd. Lucy wasn't 8 months pregnant in the tv show. If we assume twin peaks the return is taking place in 2014 (25 years later) then Wally was born 4/3/1990"
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

I took my reaction on this to the spoiler thread: http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 546#p87546.
"Your log and I are on the same page."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I pretty much consider everything canon but I also think the canon for this show should be fluid. So it wouldn't bother me if Lynch or Frost retconned anything - except maybe major stuff, like Laura, Coop, etc. I think Season 1 and most of Season 2 should be established as strict canon. Other stuff is up for debate.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

I take the ending of the International Pilot to be part of Cooper's dream somehow. Maybe his actual dream in episode 2 wasn't 100% like that, but his recollection of the dream the next morning reflects details from the International Pilot.

So while he didn't actually dream the full ending of the International Pilot, that is how his conscious waking mind pieced together his dream in the morning. This is common with dreams, we have these intense and irrational thought experiences in our sleep, then when we awake we rationalize them in a way that is slightly different then the initial dream.

So the International ending is canon in as much as it's Cooper's flawed memory of the dream.
PsychoFox
Roadhouse Member

Post by PsychoFox »

It seems that "My life, my tapes" has been taken into account into the design of Diane in season 3: she looks like a cabaret dancer, as described in this book.
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

While I would call everything released under the TP moniker(that takes place in universe) canon, I think there are varying levels.

Tier One - Where the main canon is solidified and what most people have access to/have seen.
Seasons 1, 2, and 3
FWwM

Tier Two - Interesting diversions(set in universe) that fill in the world in a way the material in Tier One may have been unable, but may be contradictory due to being deleted scenes or trans-media works. Where contradictory to Tier One, Tier One takes precedence.
The Missing Pieces
Deleted Scenes from the Series
TSHoTP
TSDoLP
ML,MT
Cooper Tapes Audiobook

Tier Three - Meta works that help to fill in the world.
Between Two Worlds
Log Lady Intos
Scripts
Creator/Writer Interviews

I think all of the above helps to deepen, enrich, and expand the work, but one need only watch the Series and FWwM.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Cappy wrote:I take the ending of the International Pilot to be part of Cooper's dream somehow. Maybe his actual dream in episode 2 wasn't 100% like that, but his recollection of the dream the next morning reflects details from the International Pilot.

So while he didn't actually dream the full ending of the International Pilot, that is how his conscious waking mind pieced together his dream in the morning. This is common with dreams, we have these intense and irrational thought experiences in our sleep, then when we awake we rationalize them in a way that is slightly different then the initial dream.

So the International ending is canon in as much as it's Cooper's flawed memory of the dream.
Prior to the events of the International ending, Cooper is shown in full REM sleep mode, so I think this is a good interpretation (even though it shows him waking up after the phone call from Gerard).
F*&^ you Gene Kelly