Who is Laura Palmer?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Low Entropy
Roadhouse Member

Who is Laura Palmer?

Post by Low Entropy »

Why are people so fascinated by Laura Palmer and so touched by her fate?
Because everyone is Laura Palmer; everyone has a light and dark side and is struggling to maintain control of this.
With Laura Palmer it's just more visible.
I always found it odd that some people think Laura is a clever TV creation; this is true too. But as a producer and DJ in extreme electronic music for 20 years, I've met many real life Laura Palmers; girls and women with hearts of gold and brilliant minds who also wasted themselves on drugs and "whored" around and did other dark deeds. I'm sure a lot of us can tell similar stories.
Now I assume most of us face struggles less dark in our lifes now. Still, it's a daily choice if we add more happiness, or more misery to this world.
To overcome our darkness is the goal of life. And I'm sure this will be the topic as Twin Peaks continues.
Jatriot
Roadhouse Member

Re: Who is Laura Palmer?

Post by Jatriot »

Low Entropy wrote:Why are people so fascinated by Laura Palmer and so touched by her fate?
Because everyone is Laura Palmer; everyone has a light and dark side and is struggling to maintain control of this.
With Laura Palmer it's just more visible.
I always found it odd that some people think Laura is a clever TV creation; this is true too. But as a producer and DJ in extreme electronic music for 20 years, I've met many real life Laura Palmers; girls and women with hearts of gold and brilliant minds who also wasted themselves on drugs and "whored" around and did other dark deeds. I'm sure a lot of us can tell similar stories.
Now I assume most of us face struggles less dark in our lifes now. Still, it's a daily choice if we add more happiness, or more misery to this world.
To overcome our darkness is the goal of life. And I'm sure this will be the topic as Twin Peaks continues.
As a Professional Guitar player since the age of 11 I can only,sadly,overwhelmingly agree with what you have seen on the road or just a standard small town Cover band for that matter. I must add that in every instance there have been a Mr. C or some dark parasitic presence waiting for prone girls and boys to cross their path. Certainly much could be done to protect the young from such truly evil forces, however, it can be a life threatening situation to oneself if you try and intervene. It's just all so tragic and sad. People have to learn to look out for themselves to be sure but when in the hell did it become expected behaviour for people to simply not give a damn about each Other? It has to start there.
With love,light and a Happyy Canada day thrown in for some positivity I bid you adieu.