Movies to watch between episodes!

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Movies to watch between episodes!

Post by Deep Thought »

(Mods, if this needs to move forums, I apologize. But I hope I'll find some great movies to keep me happy between Peaks episodes, so I think the TP forum is appropriate).

1)Name the movie
2)Why it will appeal to TP fans
3)Why it will satisfy the TP craving

I'll start:

1) Pale Flower, directed by Masahiro Shinoda (1964)
2) Unreal cinematography, broad symbolism in its characters major and minor, powerful and mysterious female character at its heart.
3) Some of the most amazing sound design in any movie, along with all of the above. Dream sequence with lots of doors, stairs, and statuary.

Odds that DL has seen this movie: 95%

A simple story of a mobster falling for a mysterious girl, told in a style that will be immediately familiar to TP fans, as well as Kubrick fans. Readily available free online, but much much better to splurge for the Blu Ray.
There's your roast beef and cheese.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Re: Movies to watch between episodes!

Post by claaa7 »

wow, thanks for the tip, that "Pale Flower" movie looks fantastic - stunningly gorgeous by judging from the Criterion trailer. the story doesn't seem all that special judging by what we learn from that but even if that's the case i bet the production design, set-ups and all that more than make up for it. and i never even heard of this movie!
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

"The Vanishing" - Holland, 1988, the setting is in France and both Dutch & French languages spoken.
Available via iTunes with subtitles.

I've enjoyed this psychological thriller because the acting between the leads is so natural, the cinematography quite beautiful, and a very methodical psychopath disguises himself very creepy-effectively to strangers and to his own family.
After watching it again last week for the first time since I'd seen it in a long while, I looked up info on the film and I read that Stanley Kubrick upon viewing it considered it a favorite and told the director George Sluizer so. According to an actor on the film Kubrick claimed Vanishing out-shone his own "Shining" but I think the actor might have exaggerated. It's noteworthy enough as I've recognized Kubrick-like touches during TP:TR, and have learned how Kubrick passionately revered Lynch's work in Eraserhead.

It's tough to say how TP fans who haven't seen it before would react. Some very interesting angles from which select scenes are shot/ framed. At times the film feels dated; certain background music seems campy, and the car models show their era but again it's in Europe so they're not as familiar to Americans. Vending machines at rest stops and a Polaroid camera -- certain icons depict those late 1980s and it's worth considering the movie was released the same time as Twin Peaks S1 was about to debut.

I pondered for a long time after I saw this the first time, the dream one lead character had described having. It's central to the story but only mentioned briefly; the way its small but central impact affected me was an indication this was beyond your usual psychological thriller.
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

Robert Altman's '3 women' (1977) - Are they all the same person? The seemingly mundane turned nightmare-ish and surreal.
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

chromereflectsimage wrote:Robert Altman's '3 women' (1977) - Are they all the same person? The seemingly mundane turned nightmare-ish and surreal.
Seconded! An absolutely fantastic, underrated gem.
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

Thanks, I'm looking forward to these, but unfortunately tonight my 16 yo has commandeered the TV and is watching London Has Fallen. Ho boy. I vow to watch every movie in this thread before the end of season 3. (no spamming please! :lol: )
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

chromereflectsimage wrote:Robert Altman's '3 women' (1977) - Are they all the same person? The seemingly mundane turned nightmare-ish and surreal.
YES, i so love this film and i can't imagine anyone loving Lynch not feeling the same way.. it's very dreamlike and creepy while also working as a good drama with interesting characters. "The Long Goodbye" is another cool Altman film that i think Lynch / Twin Peaks fans might enjoy.

Terrence Malick's two first features "Badlands" and "Days of Heaven" comes highly recommended. amongst the most beautiful american films ever made. the cinematography, directing and production design (by Lynch regular Jack Fisk) is above top notch. visual poetry!
ScarFace32
RR Diner Member

Post by ScarFace32 »

The best doppelganger movie The Whole Town's Talking 1935

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/2886 ... ellow.html
Jatriot
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jatriot »

By Wenders-Paris,Texas. Astounding Harry Dean Stanton performance. Amazing soundtrack by Ry Cooper. Dean Stockwell, IM sure anyone reading this,knows of his work with Lynch. Also Wings of Desire and this sequel: Far Away,So close both Starring Peter Falk. Kubrick's Killers. Barton Fink-The Coens rather blatant ripoff of Eraserhead. PI- You will see. Second Malleck's Badlands- If you loved Mulholland Dr. Billy Wilder will not steer you wrong. The 3rd Man.... sorry I know I've gone off topic in terms of explaining how this pertains to the watching of it between peaks episodes. Frankly I just became so enraptured with thinking of all the films I lost myself. Anyhow I'll stop before I never stop.
J
Jatriot
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jatriot »

Oh right. Detour and anything Directed by Fritz Lang's Noir period.
Jatriot
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jatriot »

Double Indemnity. Excellent performances across the board. Dark well sculpted mystery worthy of Lynch. Woody Allen's-Crimes and Misdemeanours & Stardust Memory's. Will scratch your surrealist itch. Dead Ringers by David Cronenberg-Amazing screenplay & Direction by Cronenberg. Astonishing work by Jeremy Irons. Very twisted. I'd imagine this would be a fav of Mr. C's. Also A Brief History of violence. Same reasons as others save Irons. Rear Window, Vertigo and Marnie. Hitchcock' best work imo.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

Deep Thought wrote:(Mods, if this needs to move forums, I apologize. But I hope I'll find some great movies to keep me happy between Peaks episodes, so I think the TP forum is appropriate).

1)Name the movie
2)Why it will appeal to TP fans
3)Why it will satisfy the TP craving

I'll start:

1) Pale Flower, directed by Masahiro Shinoda (1964)
2) Unreal cinematography, broad symbolism in its characters major and minor, powerful and mysterious female character at its heart.
3) Some of the most amazing sound design in any movie, along with all of the above. Dream sequence with lots of doors, stairs, and statuary.

Odds that DL has seen this movie: 95%

A simple story of a mobster falling for a mysterious girl, told in a style that will be immediately familiar to TP fans, as well as Kubrick fans. Readily available free online, but much much better to splurge for the Blu Ray.
Nice, I haven't seen this one, I'll have to check it out, but I've seen several other collaborations between Masahiro Shinoda and Toru Takemitsu. And since you mentioned the sound design, the latter is definitely worth a mention. He would often create the sound design of the films he composed music for. I'm not 100% that was the case with Pale Flower, but another example I am 100% sure about from the same year is Kwaidan, directed by Masaki Kobayashi.

Takemitsu was one of the greatest film composers who ever lived, and Lynch fans especially would be well served to become familiar with the films he scored. He probably had a more significant impact to the mood of the films he scored than any other film composer. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0006316/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Other great Shinoda/Takemitsu collaborations: Double Suicide, Under the Blossoming Cherry Tree, Himiko

And great films Takemitsu scored: Kwaidan, Harakiri, Women of the Dunes, Ran. Those are just starters.

Check out this piece he composed in 1956: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVvVNzQ5SS4
I think it might have been for a short film, but think about how far out this must have been in the 50's. Hell it's still pretty far out.
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

AgentEcho wrote:And great films Takemitsu scored: Kwaidan, Harakiri, Women of the Dunes, Ran. Those are just starters.
Nice. My Woman of the Dunes Criterion blue ray just arrived from amazon today, but tonight I'm watching a great online version of Days of Heaven, thanks claaa7! I just watched it, a remarkable and beautiful movie indeed. I may rewatch it, so thanks. I didn't feel there was a Lynch vibe at all though, it was much more naturalistic; quite a good thing, but maybe doesn't satisfy my itch between episodes! (Maybe there was a Dune vibe, though, of all things!)
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

Doh! It's actually Woman in the Dunes.

More recommendations, no particular order:

Don't Look Now (1973)
Dead Man (1995)
Alphaville (1965)
Meshes of the Afternoon (1943)
Carnival of Souls (1962)
Los Olvidados (1950)
The Innocents (1961)
The Tenant (1976)
Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975)
The Last Wave (1977)
Donnie Darko (2001)
Waking Life (2001)
Zodiac (2007)
Black Swan (2010)
Touch of Evil (1958)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956 and 1978)
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

AgentEcho wrote:Doh! It's actually Woman in the Dunes.

More recommendations, no particular order:

Don't Look Now (1973)
Dead Man (1995)
Alphaville (1965)
Meshes of the Afternoon (1943)
Carnival of Souls (1962)
Los Olvidados (1950)
The Innocents (1961)
The Tenant (1976)
Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975)
The Last Wave (1977)
Donnie Darko (2001)
Waking Life (2001)
Zodiac (2007)
Black Swan (2010)
Touch of Evil (1958)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956 and 1978)
Now that's a pretty good list! Zodiac is not one I would have thought of, but yes indeed, I like the thinking. There are 4 on your list I haven't seen, and I think that is a very good list, so I will check them out!