Movies to watch between episodes!

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

BOB1
RR Diner Member

Re: Movies to watch between episodes!

Post by BOB1 »

How about Wim Wenders' "Paris, Texas"? Harry Dean Stanton for one thing, in a brilliant performance (plus Dean Stockwell, too). The art of creating atmosphere is next. And some glacial pacing for The Return's fans ;)

p.s.
I really need to see those 3 Women!
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

Anyone ever see the anime series 'Serial Experiments Lain'? A girl committed suicide, and a classmate of hers starts getting text messages from the great behind saying she now lives inside the computer and didn't want to be caged anymore by the body. Classmate becomes obsessed and retreats more and more into the realm of of the internet/computer. Lots of explorations of existentialism with emphasis on electricity like the current TP.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

BOB1 wrote:How about Wim Wenders' "Paris, Texas"? Harry Dean Stanton for one thing, in a brilliant performance (plus Dean Stockwell, too). The art of creating atmosphere is next. And some glacial pacing for The Return's fans ;)

p.s.
I really need to see those 3 Women!
5/5 star movie, everything about it is absolutely gorgeous.. the mystery, the characters, the drama, the scenery, the cinematography. i've only seen it once but it really stuck in my mind. i need to get that on Blu Ray for sure.

i have just finnished buying all of Park Chan Wook's available films on Blu Ray and have been rewatching them. he's one of my absolute favorite directors (please watch "Oldboy" "Stoker", "The Handmaiden" if you haven't seen them) but the one that really made me think of this thread is the Asian omnibus film "Three... Extremes". Park's contribution ("Cut") is really good but I strongly encourage you to check out Takashi Miike's 40 minutes film "Box". i'm not sure i've seen any other director (including Lynch) capture the feeling and logic of dreams so well on film so well. just incredible!
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

have anyone seen Flying Lotus' debut film "KUSO" which premiered at Sundance this year yet? i'm trying to get a hold of a copy as i'm a fan of his music and a lot of the people in it and it looks absolutely mind-fucking-blowing.

Jatriot
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jatriot »

chromereflectsimage wrote:
AgentEcho wrote:Doh! It's actually Woman in the Dunes.

More recommendations, no particular order:

Don't Look Now (1973)
Dead Man (1995)
Alphaville (1965)
Meshes of the Afternoon (1943)
Carnival of Souls (1962)
Los Olvidados (1950)
The Innocents (1961)
The Tenant (1976)
Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975)
The Last Wave (1977)
Donnie Darko (2001)
Waking Life (2001)
Zodiac (2007)
Black Swan (2010)
Touch of Evil (1958)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956 and 1978)
I think I remember reading somewhere that Lynch himself was a fan of 'Carnival of Souls'
That would be correct via DL and COS.
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

I just watched Final Fantasy VII for the first time in 8 years (after seeing it a dozen times or so with my kids) and realized that there is a connection to why I have always loved that movie and to an aspect of The Return that truly satisfies me .

I have never played a Final Fantasy game nor have I heard anything about it, and by watching the movie I am plunged into a completely realized world with no prior reference point. Characters are introduced with no backstory and no hints at motivation, "Mother" seems to be driving the show, but who that may be I have no idea - something evil - that is apparent, but why does Cloud hold the key? Is that Mother we see realized as a world-destroying monster? Calmly delivered dialogue during the most intense of situations turns towards the surrealistic. This is a movie with a serious message hidden by "comic book" sensibilities. The whole Gaia silliness and fight scenes seem to be a stand-in for themes of a psychological nature.

Plus, the art is over the top incredible, if you can get past the absurdity of it all. Double plus, the cell phone is a main character - and the flip phone at that!
There's your roast beef and cheese.
zeronumber
RR Diner Member

Post by zeronumber »

Embrace the Serpent

Directed by Gurerra in 2016.

Fascinating and wonderful journey tale about an indigenous amazonian shaman and a euorpean historian.

Abit like Heart of Darkness, but with deep psychedelic and spiritual overtones.

A must see film with much to do with duality and Dream nature.

Stunning and unfogettable. Everything a Peaks~phile could enjoy.
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

"Woman in the Dunes" (1964)
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

If you want to see the average of Hitchcock and Lynch, watch The Fourth Man:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086543/

One of the classic early Dutch films of Paul Verhoeven (yes, that Paul Verhoeven!), and based on the novel by Gerard Reve. Very funny, lots of symbolism (apparently added deliberately to please the critics!), an amazing mystery and a classic set up. It became one of my favourite films after a first viewing last year.

His other Dutch stuff is also worth it, but is very different in tone (Spetters is the best teen movie I've ever seen, and the most overwrought).