Movies to watch between episodes!

Discussion of Twin Peaks and Fire Walk With Me

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

Forum rules
Welcome to the forum. We know our members are passionate about their love for all things Twin Peaks. You wouldn't be here if that wasn't the case. Despite having differing viewpoints it is a policy that we all treat each other with mutual respect.

Posting abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated, or any material that may violate any laws be it of your country or the country where this forum is hosted will get you permanently banned.

Posting of spoilers are allowed as long as you indicate (Spoilers) in the topic name and use the Spoiler Tag.
BOB1

Re: Movies to watch between episodes!

Postby BOB1 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:23 am

How about Wim Wenders' "Paris, Texas"? Harry Dean Stanton for one thing, in a brilliant performance (plus Dean Stockwell, too). The art of creating atmosphere is next. And some glacial pacing for The Return's fans ;)

p.s.
I really need to see those 3 Women!
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
chromereflectsimage

Postby chromereflectsimage » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:36 am

Anyone ever see the anime series 'Serial Experiments Lain'? A girl committed suicide, and a classmate of hers starts getting text messages from the great behind saying she now lives inside the computer and didn't want to be caged anymore by the body. Classmate becomes obsessed and retreats more and more into the realm of of the internet/computer. Lots of explorations of existentialism with emphasis on electricity like the current TP.
claaa7

Postby claaa7 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:28 am

BOB1 wrote:How about Wim Wenders' "Paris, Texas"? Harry Dean Stanton for one thing, in a brilliant performance (plus Dean Stockwell, too). The art of creating atmosphere is next. And some glacial pacing for The Return's fans ;)

p.s.
I really need to see those 3 Women!

5/5 star movie, everything about it is absolutely gorgeous.. the mystery, the characters, the drama, the scenery, the cinematography. i've only seen it once but it really stuck in my mind. i need to get that on Blu Ray for sure.

i have just finnished buying all of Park Chan Wook's available films on Blu Ray and have been rewatching them. he's one of my absolute favorite directors (please watch "Oldboy" "Stoker", "The Handmaiden" if you haven't seen them) but the one that really made me think of this thread is the Asian omnibus film "Three... Extremes". Park's contribution ("Cut") is really good but I strongly encourage you to check out Takashi Miike's 40 minutes film "Box". i'm not sure i've seen any other director (including Lynch) capture the feeling and logic of dreams so well on film so well. just incredible!
claaa7

Postby claaa7 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:30 am

have anyone seen Flying Lotus' debut film "KUSO" which premiered at Sundance this year yet? i'm trying to get a hold of a copy as i'm a fan of his music and a lot of the people in it and it looks absolutely mind-fucking-blowing.

Jatriot

Postby Jatriot » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:00 am

chromereflectsimage wrote:
AgentEcho wrote:Doh! It's actually Woman in the Dunes.

More recommendations, no particular order:

Don't Look Now (1973)
Dead Man (1995)
Alphaville (1965)
Meshes of the Afternoon (1943)
Carnival of Souls (1962)
Los Olvidados (1950)
The Innocents (1961)
The Tenant (1976)
Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975)
The Last Wave (1977)
Donnie Darko (2001)
Waking Life (2001)
Zodiac (2007)
Black Swan (2010)
Touch of Evil (1958)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956 and 1978)

I think I remember reading somewhere that Lynch himself was a fan of 'Carnival of Souls'

That would be correct via DL and COS.

Return to “Twin Peaks”