POLL - Do you Like Season Three and How long have you been watching twin peaks.

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

RedRum
Roadhouse Member

POLL - Do you Like Season Three and How long have you been watching twin peaks.

Post by RedRum »

Hi All,

As an original Watcher of the series all those years ago, Twin peaks has influenced my life over the last 26 years. The mystery, the light vs dark, the unknowing and at the periphery strangeness.

The style and wisdom that can be gained from the original series has been with me and I consider to be part of my psyche.

I absolutely hate 'The Return' I think it not only has ruined itself but has done much to unwind all the positive points of the orriginal, I personally think it should never have been made.

But I notice there are many that love the series and I just don't understand how anyone could reconcile the original with what we have in the Return. So I thought I would find out of those that like 'The Return' how many are original watchers.

So please reply with:

I love Season Three or I hate Season Three

along with

I first watched twin peaks x number of years ago

I'll first start.
RedRum
Roadhouse Member

Re: POLL - Do you Like Season Three and How long have you been watching twin peaks.

Post by RedRum »

I hate Season Three

I first watched twin peaks 26 years ago
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Re: POLL - Do you Like Season Three and How long have you been watching twin peaks.

Post by KyleRickards »

Love The Return and started watching on original run in the UK

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
AJPRR2GO
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: POLL - Do you Like Season Three and How long have you been watching twin peaks.

Post by AJPRR2GO »

KyleRickards wrote:Love The Return and started watching on original run in the UK

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What he said ^

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

I'm mixed on Return, but definitely engaged.

I watched FWWM when it first came out on VHS, then read diary and Cooper's Autobiography, then consumed the whole series all in a matter of days. But I did see the Pilot when it first aired.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
Little Pine Cone
Roadhouse Member

Post by Little Pine Cone »

I love season three.
LOVE. IT.
Admittedly, it took a couple of days after the 4-part premiere to acclimate to aspects of its new aesthetic (digital photography, minimal score etc. I was always on board for whatever the story may or may not be...I refused to be like one of those FWWM whiners that have been insufferable for nearly 3 decades) but after a few rewatches those first four episodes *clicked* and it's about all I've indulged in all day, every day since May.

Been watching since it was originally airing and I was in the 4th grade.
Didn't understand half of it, a quarter of it traumatized me but it solidified my taste in art and gave me an appetite for the strange that has colored my life to this day.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

I like season three (with a few reservations -- which also applies to the original series) and I first started watching Twin Peaks in 1991.

Since then I have been consuming pretty much everything written about the show and more widely about Lynch's output, from magazine columns to academic essays to full anthologies of critical writings. Also Jennifer Lynch's Secret Diary, the Access Guide, the Diane tapes, and most recently Frost's tSHoTP. The Final Dossier is pre-ordered. I don't regard all these TP-related things as being of equal quality, so it's certainly not a case of anything-TP-will-do. I much prefer the Return to the Secret History, for example.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Saela
Roadhouse Member

Post by Saela »

I think Season 3 is incredible, but whether or not I will love it just as much as the first two (which I started watching about 4 years ago) and FWWM, depends on how it ends.
timgerdes

Post by timgerdes »

Love Season 3, perhaps more than the original, as a more auteur driven show. The original series suffered in my opinion when it was managed like a ordinary TV show, with lots of directors and writers contributing to the overall story and mythology. That said, until it’s return, I believe the first two seasons of Twin Peaks was the greatest TV show ever.

I have been watching religiously since April 8, 1990.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

Watched the original run week to week just like this one. Saw FWWM 3 times in the theater, so I know the DVD Pink Room scene is bollocks, no matter what Lynch and Neff say.

Regardless of what I think of season 3, it is amazing to me that it was ever produced. I hope the premium channel business model deems it a success and it fosters new era a "prestige" niche TV. The fact that we are watching the singular vision of a single artist (team) on TV with these production values and at this scale is so encouraging.

The structure of season 3 (a Lynch sketch-show as I read here somewhere) is groundbreaking for TV. It gives a new meaning to episodic TV, more akin to Andrei RubIev than Manix, and will provide many hours of happiness as I try to unpack it. The sheer amount of information Lynch has convayed so far is astonishing. I can not imagine how any of this would change the rich tapistry of ideas I have built up around S1&2+FWWM. It may allow me to see them in a different light, or not, depending on which seems more true. This is a good thing, not a bad thing imo.
There's your roast beef and cheese.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

LOVE The Return.

It was 2013 when I first discovered my favorite tv series of all time. Pretty neat to hear only a year later it's getting a continuation :)
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

This thread is inherently skewed in asking us to choose love or hate.

I really like S3. There are some scenes I love, some I don't like at all. Overall a very mixed reaction on my part but generally leaning towards positive. I'll have to wait to see the whole thing, but I am guessing I will ultimately prefer the original series - but they are extremely different and hard to compare.

For what it's worth, I first watched Twin Peaks and FWWM in 2007/08 and have watched the series multiple times since. With the exception of Dune, I've watched every Lynch film numerous times. As a whole, I don't think The Return is his best work, but certain scenes as well as Part 8 and 14 are definitely up there with his best stuff. I'm really happy it's happening. I'm 25 years old.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I'll say it again: Love Season 3. Watched the show live in 1990-91 as a small child. Watched it countless times since, owned all the merchandise as a kid. TP is a fundamental part of my early imagination and creative life. Always has been.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Ashok
Great Northern Member

Post by Ashok »

I. LOVE. SEASON. 3.

I'm a somewhat newer fan. I always liked David Duchovny and decided to watched the show due to his credit around 15 years ago when the Season 1 DVDs came out. I had to buy the pilot from Japan separately and found Season 2 on Kazaa. The show totally exceeded my expectations with it's incredible fusion of multiple genres and dense mythology.

Season 3 had only continued to shatter all my expectations and looks on track to beat out Breaking Bad as my favorite cable drama. I don't think I've been this fascinated by a television series in years. It terms of lore and mythology there's just nothing else quite like it on television. Network TV is in a freefall and outside of Lynch and SHO, cable networks just can't flesh out characters and world build like Twin Peaks S3 due to their rigid model of producing shorter, flashy, 8-13 episode seasons. 14 episodes in and I'd say Twin Peaks S3 may be David Lynch's best work. Imho it flows seamless with the original series and had done nothing but retroactively strengthen both the original series + FWWM. If Episode 18 delivers, I'd go so far as to say The Return should rank up there with The Empire Strikes Back, The Dark Knight, The Godfather Part II, Terminator 2, and Aliens as one of the greatest sequels/continuations of all time.
"Whatever happened, happened." -Daniel Faraday
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

32 years old, 2013 fan, the last generation of TP fans to get the shock of the season 3 announcement :) I've since rewatched it with all the rl friends and relatives I've recced the show to.

TPTR is, barring unforeseeable disasters, my all-time favourite tv show.
Ashok wrote: If Episode 18 delivers, I'd go so far as to say The Return should rank up there with The Empire Strikes Back, The Dark Knight, The Godfather Part II, Terminator 2, and Aliens as one of the greatest sequels/continuations of all time.
Hear, hear! I've never stopped to think about sequels as a whole, but I had a very strong opinion on "timeskipped" sequels, ie that I'd only ever seen two worthy ones: The Lord of the Rings for The Hobbit and Uru for Myst. As they say, three's a company...
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.