POLL - Do you Like Season Three and How long have you been watching twin peaks.

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

KnewItsPa
Roadhouse Member

Re: POLL - Do you Like Season Three and How long have you been watching twin peaks.

Post by KnewItsPa »

S3 IS A STEAMING PILE OF POO

Watched TP when first aired in UK (1990)
Read Laura Plamers Diary, Dale Coopers Tapes
Hung Madchen Amick Twin Peaks poster on wall :-)
Watched again when released on VHS.
Hung around alt.tv.twin.peaks
Regularly picked up Wrapped In Plastic zine
Watched when Channel 5 launched.
Bought the DVD box set fo S1
Waited years for S2, then got it.
Big fan of DLs movies, own all on DVD & VHS.
"Crack the code, solve the crime."
snusmumrik

Re: POLL - Do you Like Season Three and How long have you been watching twin peaks.

Post by snusmumrik »

Hello, I've been posting on here under another account a few months ago, then I lost my old password and mail. Anyway:

I love The Return (in retrospection, I do find certain flaws with it, but nothing that could lower my reaction from "love" to just "like").

I watched the old Twin Peaks as a kid on the TV in 1991/1992 (not quite sure about the exact year - I'm from Eastern Europe, they aired it a couple of years later here), and rewatched it numerous times later in my conscious life.
Julee Cruise wrote: Fkin keyboard, I Yelled my Head off in Anger!
Skip Bittman
Roadhouse Member

Post by Skip Bittman »

Better than the original and worth the wait.
Maddy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Maddy »

I loved the return.

I've been watching Twin Peaks since the pilot so around 28 years.
The Angels will return...
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

The Return is my favorite thing I've ever watched. Call it fawning, misguided, fanboyish. But there ya go.

I was only 5 in 1990 but I first watched the series about 12 years ago.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

This new Twin Peaks, namely series three and both Frost books that came along with it, is all one giant MEH to me - not exactly bad, but it just wasn't worth the epic, 25+ years-long wait. Not by a long shot. Hence, I couldn't care less if it gets picked up again, something that was unthinkable for me prior The Return, during the 1991-2016 time span.
I was and I remain the original TP fanatic - watched it at the age of 10-11 back in '91 when it ran in my European country. I'm most thankful that the new stuff hasn't managed to taint my love of the old stuff - I just have to unthink this continuation like it never happened, which is something I curiously find not that hard to do, and all is right in the world (again). :)
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

I feared beforehand that S3 would turn out to be a reunion show that was heavily influenced by Showtime and Mark Frost. After seeing the first four episodes, I couldn't believe how experimental is was; how much of a 'screw you!' towards the 'coffee and pie fans' of the show. I was in seventh heaven!

For me TPTR is clearly the strongest season so far. Still, it never fully met my (sky high) expectations. I kept waiting for it to become epic. In the end, it paid off with a very strong part 18 (and the second half of part 17). And there was so much to enjoy before that (Audrey's final scene, part 8, Steve's suicide scene, etc.),

Still, I was not on the edge of my seat constantly. Both the Las Vegas-storyline and the Buckhorne-storyline (although I liked or even loved some of the actors, and I get that these storylines were necessary in the bigger plot and thematic set-up) were just not interesting/exciting enough on a minute-to-minute-level. And a lot of the old TP-located actors (especially from the Sheriff Station) were even weak or had weak material to work with.

I was still inclined to say that TPTR was one of the best things I've seen in my life, until I recently rewatched 'Inland Empire'' . That made it clear to me how cosy and safe even the 'horrifying moments' of TPTR are. Even the brilliant part 18 (that was a bit uncomfortable to watch), is pale in comparison to truly masterpieces such as Inland Empire and Mulholland Drive.

(I saw some episodes of S1 in the early 90s. In the early 00s, I bought S1 on DVD and loved, loved, loved it at first sight. I had to wait for many years to finally see S2 on dvd. That was an utter dissapointment. I could not believe how bad most of it was (even comparing it to normal tv-shows). I then also began to see the flaws in S1. Somewhat later, I finally watched Mulholland Drive on dvd, a movie that I hadn't bother to watch for years, despite having it in my house. Only after seeing this movie, which was the best experience of my life, I realized I was a hardcore Lynch fan.)
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Funny how tastes differ. It was MD that, together with this new Peaks, has turned me off Lynch for quite some time (maybe forever). After witnessing the two (I watched MD for the first time approximately one year before the premiere of The Return), I have absolutely zero desire to check out those films of Lynch that still remain to be seen by me - Dune, Lost Highway and Inland Empire (I might give Dune a whirl, since it stems from the age when Lynch was still making good things, in my opinion, although Eraserhead has left me completely cold).
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

I quite liked the new season as a whole, despite some blemishes. Sort of the same way I feel about the original series and FWwM, mixed bags that I love overall. Some of the lows felt as low as James and Evelyn while some of the highs felt as high as anything in the original(excluding the end of Episode 14 and parts of Episode 29, which will always be the strongest to me), so it feels of a piece with the original.

I have been watching and rewatching for 10 years, since the release of the Gold Box.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Agent Earle wrote:Funny how tastes differ. It was MD that, together with this new Peaks, has turned me off Lynch for quite some time (maybe forever). After witnessing the two (I watched MD for the first time approximately one year before the premiere of The Return), I have absolutely zero desire to check out those films of Lynch that still remain to be seen by me - Dune, Lost Highway and Inland Empire (I might give Dune a whirl, since it stems from the age when Lynch was still making good things, in my opinion, although Eraserhead has left me completely cold).
You might not enjoy "Dune" very much either. There are aspects of that film that didn't turn up in Lynch filmography again until TPTR, namely the constantly glacial pacing and a certain kind of coldness/aloofness to all the characters. I love "Lost Highway" and "Inland Empire" but judging from your reactions to "Mulholland Dr." and TPTR those are probably the right Lynch films to skip for you.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

eyeboogers wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:Funny how tastes differ. It was MD that, together with this new Peaks, has turned me off Lynch for quite some time (maybe forever). After witnessing the two (I watched MD for the first time approximately one year before the premiere of The Return), I have absolutely zero desire to check out those films of Lynch that still remain to be seen by me - Dune, Lost Highway and Inland Empire (I might give Dune a whirl, since it stems from the age when Lynch was still making good things, in my opinion, although Eraserhead has left me completely cold).
You might not enjoy "Dune" very much either. There are aspects of that film that didn't turn up in Lynch filmography again until TPTR, namely the constantly glacial pacing and a certain kind of coldness/aloofness to all the characters. I love "Lost Highway" and "Inland Empire" but judging from your reactions to "Mulholland Dr." and TPTR those are probably the right Lynch films to skip for you.
Thanks for the heads up. In LH's and IE's case, I suspected as much. I might still try Dune, just because Lynch so openly voiced his discontent with it over the years and so might be interesting to see what is it that irks him so much (though atributes you mention certainly don't make it sound like much fun).
OrsonWelles
Roadhouse Member

Post by OrsonWelles »

I love season three. They are airing it again on Belgian commercial television, so I decided to watch it again. Part 1 is the only one aired so far.

I first saw the original series 9 years ago and have watched it three times in its entirety. The Return is something quite different, but I don't see how you can't reconcile the two. Perhaps it's easier to love TP:TR if you like Lynch's later films as well. I think Mulholland Dr. is probably his best work and IMHO one of the best movies ever made, and certainly see a parallel between the two.

In another thread I already made the comparison with James Joyce's Ulysses. It's a flawed book, but it shows the story and the characters in so many ways and perspectives and I get the same feeling from TP:TR. Yes, it's flawed, and some scenes go beyond the testing of the viewer's patience, but it's a journey. As the characters move closer to Twin Peaks, so does the viewer.
MasterMastermind
RR Diner Member

Post by MasterMastermind »

I love season 3. Season 3 premiered almost exactly ten years after I first finished the series. I first saw the finale in early May 2007 with a friend.
Fred
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fred »

I enjoyed most of Season 3, but some scenes were too violent, eg, Richard Horne stealing money, and Tim Roth getting shot by machine gun. However, on the whole it was very good. The story was interesting and shed light on many things, like the green ring, the Convenience Store, what happened to Philip Jeffries, the Blue Rose, etc.

There are still some unsolved mysteries, eg, what happened to Chester Desmond? Presumably, when he picked up the ring, it transported him to the Red Room, where he remained trapped for several years.

I first watched Twin Peaks in 1990-1991. I was broadcast in Britain on BBC2. I hope that it gets repeated on one of the Freeview channels (perhaps even BBC2 itself) so that more people can watch it.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Fred wrote:There are still some unsolved mysteries, eg, what happened to Chester Desmond? Presumably, when he picked up the ring, it transported him to the Red Room, where he remained trapped for several years.
Maybe Chester and Coop can try to find their way back together in season 4 :-) they might currently inhabit the same realm.