Valentine's Day 1989

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Fred
Roadhouse Member

Valentine's Day 1989

Post by Fred »

I thought of something the other day: Laura's tragic last night is 23rd February 1989. She speaks to James, her true lover, and goes through many mood swings, near Sparkwood and Highway 21.

This is just 9 days after 14th February: Valentine's Day! I think this is when Laura gives half of her necklace to James and wears the other half around her neck. In an early episode of season 1, James remembers this as a flashback. He looks quite upset about it...
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Valentine's Day 1989

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

She gave him the necklace on February 5 ("Day One" in her diary). Cooper asks James what happened on 2/05 right before he remembers the flashback, and the script and deleted scene have Laura asking James what day it is and him explicitly telling her the date.
Fred
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fred »

I wonder why Laura would give James the necklace on that particular day, 5th February, rather than waiting just 9 more days until Valentine's Day (14th February), which seems more appropriate for giving such a broken-heart-shaped gift?
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Because Donna is like 85% of her impulse control...?
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.