'Psychic Self-Defense' by Dion Fortune (1930)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

'Psychic Self-Defense' by Dion Fortune (1930)

Post by Jerry Horne »

I know Mark has mentioned Dion before, but this 70's cover to the 1930 book seems more relevant now than ever. Oh and the Black Lodge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dion_Fortune
Attachments
0yf6juxQ.jpg
0yf6juxQ.jpg (146.9 KiB) Viewed 10235 times
Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 1.46.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 1.46.36 PM.png (805.53 KiB) Viewed 10235 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Mulberryspark

Re: 1930 'Psychic Self-Defense' by Dion Fortune

Post by Mulberryspark »

This is the same book Bowie was reportedly obsessed with during his Thin White Duke era. I wonder if he figured Twin Peaks drew from it when he was cast in FWWM?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: 1930 'Psychic Self-Defense' by Dion Fortune

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I imagine Mark loaned DKL a copy during the original run, and DKL's only takeaway was, "What a beautiful cover!"
TheAlien
RR Diner Member

Re: 'Psychic Self-Defense' by Dion Fortune (1930)

Post by TheAlien »

As an occultist myself, it is a book (and an author) I've read before. The whole black/white lodge thing has origins in the Theosophical society, then made it's way to Dion Fortune and Aleister Crowley who mentioned it to varying degrees in their work. But it obviously doesn't represent the same thing that is meant in Twin Peaks.
For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality.
― Austin Osman Spare
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: 'Psychic Self-Defense' by Dion Fortune (1930)

Post by mtwentz »

TheAlien wrote:As an occultist myself, it is a book (and an author) I've read before. The whole black/white lodge thing has origins in the Theosophical society, then made it's way to Dion Fortune and Aleister Crowley who mentioned it to varying degrees in their work. But it obviously doesn't represent the same thing that is meant in Twin Peaks.
I was interested in the occult and everything to do with the mind being able to bend reality, and I still am, but I've determined it's just too much work.

My big thing is focus on what I want out of life, and to meditate hard on it, write it down, and repeat it to myself. And let the Universe do the rest, or not do the rest.

But I am always fascinated about the boundaries of what the human mind can accomplish, how much we are responsible for creating our own reality. Which is of course, one of the main reasons I loved The Return.

Edit: I would guess the main holdup for a lot of people in making their life work they want it to is the lack of 'focus' and 'concentration'. I have started daily fasting to increase my focus and sharpen my intent. Hopefully that will make me more prosperous in the future, but at least more healthy :-).
F*&^ you Gene Kelly