Classic! Great article on the Frost/Lynch relationship in Season 1 and more

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

claaa7
Great Northern Member

Classic! Great article on the Frost/Lynch relationship in Season 1 and more

Post by claaa7 »

Here's a little throwback that is really a great read for any fan of Twin Peaks, it was published shortly before the Pilot aired on television for the first time and features quotes from both Frost and Lynch on the Writing process. some very interesting stuff that i don't think i ever heard before, like Benjamin Horne being almost entirely written by M. Frost while Cooper from the beginning was almost all Lynch. lots of good stuff in here. Called "When Blue Velvet meets Hill Street Blues", this article was originally published in the New York Times on April 8, 1990:

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/04/08/arts/ ... blues.html
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Re: Classic! Great article on the Frost/Lynch relationship in Season 1 and more

Post by claaa7 »

love this part:

Lynch-Frost have built a teaser into the script, leaving the murderer unnamed in the initial seven episodes. Unless the network renews the series, viewers will never know who murdered Laura Palmer. (A two-hour videocassette version of the series does, however, identify the killer.) Each of the two men is directing an episode on his own (Mr. Lynch did the second; Mr. Frost the seventh) and, as co-executive producers, the two are overseeing the work of the other directors. They plan to continue their collaboration, if not on ''Twin Peaks'' then on some other project.

''Mark is good for me and I'm good for him,'' says Mr. Lynch. ''If you're working on your own, it's more abstract, subconscious. But when you say something out loud, it becomes more accessible. And the process happens faster.''
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

here's Another good one from around the time it started airing:

http://www.thecityofabsurdity.com/twinp ... icle9.html
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Interesting to see DKL in that first article, before the series even aired, expressing frustration and a growing feeling of losing control as other writers worked on the show without him involved in the day-to-day. I’ve always wondered...did word on the TP pickup come down after DKL was already committed on W@H? Did production on TP have to begin immediately? What I’m wondering is, how intentional a choice did DKL make in abandoning this show/world he loved so early on in the process?

Weird to read that DKL was a soap opera fan (at least according to Mark).
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

claaa7 wrote:here's Another good one from around the time it started airing:

http://www.thecityofabsurdity.com/twinp ... icle9.html
Thanks for that article claaa7. Too bad it's so quiet in here.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Cool find, thanks!

"The author is someone called Lynch-Frost. I can only describe it as a kind of Vulcan mind-meld." I knew that Kmac and Ferrer loved their Trek, Mfrost was a very likely candidate but this is the first reference I remember from him :)
"'generally my internal pace is faster than David's" the bar was low, pal :lol:
"The audience learns about Cooper's findings as he dictates to his unseen secretary via his microcassette recorder, which he carries with him everywhere. Mr. Lynch also uses this kind of device when he is working out ideas for movies. " Hah, just when you think that maybe one (1) character trait isn't a self insertion...
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

laughingpinecone wrote: "The audience learns about Cooper's findings as he dictates to his unseen secretary via his microcassette recorder, which he carries with him everywhere. Mr. Lynch also uses this kind of device when he is working out ideas for movies. " Hah, just when you think that maybe one (1) character trait isn't a self insertion...
haha suddenly it all starts to make sense :)

i found a GREAT interview with Frank Byers who was the DP on every single episode of "Twin Peaks" aside from the Pilot and it is certainly one of the more enlighting interviews i've come across as far as discussing visual style of the show.. there's also this interesting answer to the question about why he think the ratings dropped in the second season:

"FB: Once they solved the murder case, the show really changed. And at that time, Harley Peyton became a major player, and his scripts were really different, as I recall."

https://detroederum.wordpress.com/boger ... ank-byers/