Page 1 of 1

Deleted Scenes

Posted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:15 am
by NewtoTwinPeaks
Deleted scenes and bloopers are quite popular with shows today, but was there ever anything released for Twin Peaks Season 1 or Season 2 in terms of deleted scenes or bloopers? If so, how was it?

Re: Deleted Scenes

Posted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:58 pm
by AXX°N N.
There are bloopers and deleted scenes from the show on the various DVD sets, all of which are on the Entire Mystery bluray.

On youtube, and I'm not sure they're still there, there's some blooper reels you can't find anywhere else, and one or two deleted scenes.

There's also a bootleg tape of about an hour of dailies, deleted scenes and different takes of certain scenes, that some of the deleted scenes from the bluray was actually taken from (you can tell because the quality is degraded tape) but I don't know where you can watch this, it was passed around between fans and since I've only seen it on obscure torrent sites...

The best of them are definitely on the official releases. There's also scripts online (at Lynchnet) for every episode, with various unfilmed scenes and differences.

Re: Deleted Scenes

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:43 pm
by NewtoTwinPeaks
AXX°N N. wrote:There are bloopers and deleted scenes from the show on the various DVD sets, all of which are on the Entire Mystery bluray.

On youtube, and I'm not sure they're still there, there's some blooper reels you can't find anywhere else, and one or two deleted scenes.

There's also a bootleg tape of about an hour of dailies, deleted scenes and different takes of certain scenes, that some of the deleted scenes from the bluray was actually taken from (you can tell because the quality is degraded tape) but I don't know where you can watch this, it was passed around between fans and since I've only seen it on obscure torrent sites...

The best of them are definitely on the official releases. There's also scripts online (at Lynchnet) for every episode, with various unfilmed scenes and differences.


Thanks a lot for the reply! I hadn't visited this forum in a while, almost forgot about this post.

Re: Deleted Scenes

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:34 am
by Mordeen
That footage is in very limited circulation. It may never see the light of day in proper fashion because Lynch ordered the internal copies destroyed.

-Mordeen

Re: Deleted Scenes

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:51 pm
by Mr. Reindeer
Mordeen wrote:That footage is in very limited circulation. It may never see the light of day in proper fashion because Lynch ordered the internal copies destroyed.

-Mordeen


It was very routine practice in that era for TV shows to get rid of dailies, deleted scenes, etc. In the pre-DVD era, there was no real use for such materials, especially once the show ended. I don’t know who smuggled that bootleg material or how, but we’re extremely fortunate to have anything.

Re: Deleted Scenes

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:07 pm
by Mordeen
Lynch has a particular quirk about not wanting his cut material viewed, even if it was cut under duress. Remember the extended Dune, directed by Alan Smithee?

Plus, there's the extended version of Blue Velvet. Which actually doesn't contain all the footage, but it's out there. . .

-Mordeen

Re: Deleted Scenes

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:30 pm
by Mr. Reindeer
Mordeen wrote:Lynch has a particular quirk about not wanting his cut material viewed, even if it was cut under duress. Remember the extended Dune, directed by Alan Smithee?

Plus, there's the extended version of Blue Velvet. Which actually doesn't contain all the footage, but it's out there. . .

-Mordeen


I disagree. Yes, he has a quirk about not wanting anyone, including himself, to mess with the released cut once it’s locked — that’s true. But he has released hours more of deleted scenes than almost any director I can think of on Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart, INLAND EMPIRE and FWWM. He was heavily involved in all those releases, and in each case poured his own labor and resources into making sure the release was done right. He also spent his own money unsuccessfully trying to salvage lost Eraserhead scenes from the dump due to his second wife getting rid of them during a move (including paying a young Eli Roth to try to locate them). Not to mention that he personally selected and approved the release of the “bootleg” scenes that ended up on the TP Gold Box set, and also likely participated in the cleanup of the additional scenes that ended up on the Entire Mystery Blu Ray (the majority of which come from his Pilot shoot). I definitely don’t think his track record shows a director shy of making deleted scenes public. He just prefers to present them as “more things that happened,” to quote the INLAND EMPIRE DVD, as opposed to recutting the film itself.

Re: Deleted Scenes

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:37 pm
by Mordeen
Sorry, I'll admit to a typo I let slip. "Has" should have read as "had." He's much more open to it now than in the early days. There's still tons of missing footage from many of his works that we all hope to get our hands on.

-Mordeen

Re: Deleted Scenes

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:29 pm
by Mr. Reindeer
Mordeen wrote:Sorry, I'll admit to a typo I let slip. "Has" should have read as "had." He's much more open to it now than in the early days. There's still tons of missing footage from many of his works that we all hope to get our hands on.

-Mordeen


For sure. I personally don’t believe the fault is with him in this regard though. I think his website triggered a change in him, and at least since the early 2000s, he has expressed a strong interest in releasing anything and everything he can. There might be certain limited exceptions — every artist has certain things they perceive, right or wrong, as embarrassing misfires — but overall, I think whenever he has been given the opportunity to release “lost” material, he has poured his efforts into doing so.

In any event, my point stands: I believe the destruction of the majority of the TP deleted scenes was more a product of ‘90s TV production culture than any obsessive urge of DKL to destroy all unused footage.

It will be interesting to see if anything from TP:TR emerges. The official narrative is that there is very little that was cut. The BTS material gave us a few minor variations/shots that were dropped. Without getting into specifics, do you believe from your sources that more significant material was shot and cut?

Re: Deleted Scenes

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:44 am
by TheAlien
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Mordeen wrote:It will be interesting to see if anything from TP:TR emerges. The official narrative is that there is very little that was cut. The BTS material gave us a few minor variations/shots that were dropped. Without getting into specifics, do you believe from your sources that more significant material was shot and cut?



My thoughts exactly, I can imagine that there definitely would be some substantial cut scenes. I guess at least we have behind the scenes footage for the time being.....