"Room to Dream" about 'Twin Peaks' (SPOILERS)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Re: "Room to Dream" about 'Twin Peaks' (SPOILERS)

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

mtwentz wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:Since you're speaking of Ontkean: is there any indication WHATSOEVER as to the reason(s) he dropped out of S3 production? The matter's driving me bugshit! :)
I never believed Ontkean was going to leave his comfy perch in Hawaii in order to film in Washington. I always thought his participation was at best highly doubtful.

And if it's true that everyone except Kyle was offered scale wages, can you imagine Ontkean flying from Hawaii to Washington for such low pay?

I know people say it was some personal or medical reason, and maybe it was, but I can't imagine Ontkean wanting to participate anyway unless they made it worth his while financially (and from what we've heard, it's not clear that Ontkean would have ever received an offer any better than the offer made to the rest of the supporting cast.)

Edit: And if I were Ontkean, I probably wouldn't leave Hawaii either unless I was offered substantial $$$$$
No! I'm getting sad just thinking about Harry Truman not being part of Season 3. Reading this is only making it worse! Flying from Hawaii to Washington and appearing in Twin Peaks is a fucking dream come true. It's a great privilege. Would you really stay put in Hawaii and demand more cash to be granted such an honor? Harry Truman is Ontkean's legacy, man. His decision created an awkward and empty depression in The Return's otherwise mostly magnificent form.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Ontkean, from my understanding, has never been much of a Twin Peaks fan, so to bring him out of retirement it probably would have required more than scale. Multiple sources includung Sabrina have talked about some health issue, but I'm still not convinced.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Poiuyt
Roadhouse Member

Post by Poiuyt »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Soolsma wrote:It only makes sense he still has very fond memories of working with MJA. Probably Lynch doesn't just see MJA as the jerk he's become, but also as a person with serious mental problems. On multiple occasions in my life I've been close to people with similar problems (paranoia but also full on schizophrenia), one of which who developed a grudge towards me. Though the bond of friendship we once shared has surely been broken, it's hard to blame that person for something he clearly suffers from himself.
Agreed. Jennifer expressed similar sentiments back when everything went down. But DKL has wisely remained mum on the subject publicly. It’s nice to see some indication that he may feel the same way as Jen. One certainly couldn’t blame him for harboring feelings of anger, given what was said.
In the other thread you mentioned:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:The quotes and anecdotes are nice (particularly thoughts Ontkean contributed in October 2016, a year after he had opted out of S3).
I'd be really interested if you'd be willing to share some bits of those.

And I'm getting this book.
As in Brad Dukes’s book, Ontkean’s contributions border on being poetry. My favorite: “With David it’s always soulful, and it’s always some form of homemade circus transformed into an offbeat pagan ritual.” Mike’s so cool. He also has a beautiful description of his first meeting with DKL, but you’ll have to buy the book. ;)
i've been thinking about this quote all day. cheers!
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

mtwentz wrote:Multiple sources includung Sabrina have talked about some health issue, but I'm still not convinced.
What reason do any of us have not to believe them? We know Ontkean was even looking for Harry's old coat.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

N. Needleman wrote:
mtwentz wrote:Multiple sources includung Sabrina have talked about some health issue, but I'm still not convinced.
What reason do any of us have not to believe them? We know Ontkean was even looking for Harry's old coat.
Actually I went back to the Sabrina AMA on Reddit and she did not give any reason for Ontkeans non participation.

And when was Ontkean looking for the coat? I imagine it was before any salary negotiation had been concluded.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

IIRC, Brad Dukes was the one who told us Ontkean would not be participating due to personal issues, and that news came through around September 2015, right around when filming began. We know Brad has a direct line to Ontkean, and his information was accurate long before the official cast list came out.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

mtwentz wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:
Actually I went back to the Sabrina AMA on Reddit and she did not give any reason for Ontkeans non participation.

And when was Ontkean looking for the coat? I imagine it was before any salary negotiation had been concluded.
Sabrina didn't intimate that it was a health issue, but others have.

The claim about Ontkean and the coat was before he pulled out last-minute.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

N. Needleman wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:

Sabrina didn't intimate that it was a health issue, but others have.

The claim about Ontkean and the coat was before he pulled out last-minute.
Here is the closest we've ever had to an official reason: "Regarding Ontkean’s decision not to return, a source close to the actor says, “Michael is fully retired from show business, and has been for many years.”"
https://tvline.com/2015/10/08/twin-peak ... t-forster/

It may turn out at the end of the day that some kind of personal issue was the reason for his pullout. But then it's entirely possible both can be true; there was a personal issue, and that personal issue would not have prevented him from participating had the offer been more to his liking.

In any case, I think it's safer to assume that we've seen the last of Ontkean as Harry S. Truman than to believe he'll show up in Season 4. On that point, I hope I'm wrong, but I ain't bettin' the farm that he can be enticed to leave Hawaii for filming.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

mtwentz wrote:It may turn out at the end of the day that some kind of personal issue was the reason for his pullout. But then it's entirely possible both can be true; there was a personal issue, and that personal issue would not have prevented him from participating had the offer been more to his liking.
Bingo. Anything can be a personal issue. My knee hurts a little bit. I might not want to go do this or that right now...unless it's worth my while. We all have countless personal issues. My guess is that being paid scale was not sufficient compensation to overcome Ontkean's personal issues.

While I admit that it's probably a long shot, I do allow myself the faintest glimmer of hope that if a season 4 happens, Showtime will increase the budget sufficiently that Ontkean's personal issues clear up, and Harry S. Truman overcomes his unfortunate illness.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

mtwentz wrote:In any case, I think it's safer to assume that we've seen the last of Ontkean as Harry S. Truman than to believe he'll show up in Season 4.
You are certainly welcome to do that.
Valaquen
Roadhouse Member

Post by Valaquen »

I'm sure I read that someone (maybe Brad Duke) went and bought a $500 replica jacket for Ontkean before he decided not to participate in S3. I hope he kept the receipt.
FlyingSquirrel
RR Diner Member

Post by FlyingSquirrel »

I'd heard a little about this book, but now I'll definitely have to track it down.

It's a little disappointing to hear that DL has such little regard for everything in between the pilot and Episode 29, especially when he himself did some great work in there. I love the Log Lady's introductions, and I thought Episode 2 (with Coop's dream at the end), the first two episodes of Season 2 (which I think he also directed?) and Episode 14 were all high points of the series. I don't know that I've ever seen the beautiful and the horrific more effectively juxtaposed than the last 15 minutes or so of Episode 14 - I doubt I'll ever forget "Something is *happening*, isn't it, Margaret?" or "I'm so sorry."

In fact, Episode 16 is probably the only non-Lynch-directed episode that I'd rank as equal in quality to his, and I don't mean that as a knock against the others - there are probably only a couple of episodes that I'd actually consider *bad*, as opposed to "good, but not quite *as* good as the series at its best."

I guess what I'm getting at is that on one hand, I'd always want to support the idea of a writer/director or any sort of artist being able to pursue their visions without compromise, but sometimes a product with external constraints imposed can still turn out pretty amazing.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

We've discussed this a bit. IMO: He's just being grumpy. I think his feelings are more complex than all that.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-07-07 at 9.52.31 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-07 at 9.52.31 AM.png (57.94 KiB) Viewed 11339 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

WOW! What a bomb Peyton just dropped. Though I'm definitely in a camp that cherishes non-Lynch contributions as well as Lynch ones and I was anything but pleased with Lynch taking it out on Season Two (my favourite part of TP cannon) the way he did just prior to Season Three premiere, it saddens me to see there's bad blood among those who gave us the beautiful gift of TP back in '90-'91, and after all these years, at that. Hope some kind of reconciliation happens one of these days, perhaps in favour of a Season Four (though those are just madman's hopes, I'm sure) ...