"Room to Dream" about 'Twin Peaks' (SPOILERS)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

FlyingSquirrel
RR Diner Member

Re: "Room to Dream" about 'Twin Peaks' (SPOILERS)

Post by FlyingSquirrel »

I'd be curious to know more about Peyton's contributions to TP in both seasons. I guess he gets a little less attention since he wasn't a co-creator and didn't have anything to do with FWWM, but he certainly had a lot of writing credits - I'm guessing he's at least 4th after Lynch, Frost, and Engels for number of writing credits in the first two seasons. (Though I've also heard that TV writing credits don't always reflect who was actually doing most of the work.)

Is it true that the S2 cast and crew were somewhat frustrated that Lynch wasn't around more? If so, I can imagine that Peyton might feel a little resentful, along the lines of, "You could have gotten more involved if you didn't like what we were doing." I do remember that he once posted on alt.tv.twin-peaks that originally Josie was going to have a more conventional death scene and then Lynch suggested having her trapped in the drawer knob, and they decided to go with it even though they didn't really understand it.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

FlyingSquirrel wrote:I'd be curious to know more about Peyton's contributions to TP in both seasons. I guess he gets a little less attention since he wasn't a co-creator and didn't have anything to do with FWWM, but he certainly had a lot of writing credits - I'm guessing he's at least 4th after Lynch, Frost, and Engels for number of writing credits in the first two seasons. (Though I've also heard that TV writing credits don't always reflect who was actually doing most of the work.)

Is it true that the S2 cast and crew were somewhat frustrated that Lynch wasn't around more? If so, I can imagine that Peyton might feel a little resentful, along the lines of, "You could have gotten more involved if you didn't like what we were doing." I do remember that he once posted on alt.tv.twin-peaks that originally Josie was going to have a more conventional death scene and then Lynch suggested having her trapped in the drawer knob, and they decided to go with it even though they didn't really understand it.
You should read Brad Dukes’s ‘Reflections’ book. It goes into all this in detail and is a wonderful read.

Essentially, Peyton ran the show for a good chunk of the second season when DKL had lost interest (and was engaged with other projects, including a showing of his art in Tokyo), and Mark was in Louisiana scouting locations for his film ‘Storyville.’ For better or worse, much of the back half of S2 is Peyton’s baby, with Engels as second in command. DKL would occasionally poke his head in and demand last-minute changes like the drawer pull sequence the night before a shoot via midnight phone call, and when Peyton started refusing to follow these last-minute orders the relationship soured and DKL started getting chummy with Engels.

BTW, Peyton is credited on more episodes of the original run than anyone else, with thirteen credits. Mark is second with eleven.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

I don't blame Peyton for being upset. I would be too. Season Two has its flaws to be sure, but it's still pretty damn awesome ( except for a very few episodes where it flounders before recapturing it's groove.)

The drawer pull scene is not my favorite of the series and almost led to premature cancellation. Lynch is the one who wanted Josie's face in the drawer?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I definitely feel for Harley, who did the best he could under impossible circumstances. One thing Room to Dream makes abundantly clear is that Lynch gonna Lynch. He follows his personal truth in life and in art all the time, and that requires selfishness, as he himself admits. That leads to emotional casualties—often ex-wives, who have all remained on remarkably good terms with him despite some callous treatment. As a fan, I’m happy that DKL did whatever he had to do and told himself whatever story he had to in order to find his way back into the world of TP and make Episode 29, FWWM and TP:TR. But I think Harley’s anger is completely justified.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I have immense respect for Harley Peyton, whose 'worst' work on TP is still head and shoulders above most TV IMO. His Channel Zero is also excellent.

Lynch has always told himself the stories about TP (and other things in his life) that he needs to tell. I don't believe all of them nor do I believe that he, deep down, believes all of them. I doubt he bears Peyton ill will. Will he ever tell Peyton that? Sadly, probably not. It just wouldn't occur to him.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.