Twin Peaks VR game

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks VR game

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Gosh, "Twin Peaks VR" sounds so amusement park. It immediately made me think of attractions at a beach boardwalk. Anyway what's in a name, right? I'm spending more focus on the lack of Mark Frost name drops in this and so many other articles about Twin Peaks. Poor guy barely ever gets his props. Not that he cares, he's gonna walk that dog again I bet, and when he does, he won't be thinking about name drops.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Mr. Strawberry wrote:Gosh, "Twin Peaks VR" sounds so amusement park. It immediately made me think of attractions at a beach boardwalk. Anyway what's in a name, right? I'm spending more focus on the lack of Mark Frost name drops in this and so many other articles about Twin Peaks. Poor guy barely ever gets his props. Not that he cares, he's gonna walk that dog again I bet, and when he does, he won't be thinking about name drops.
I feel bad for him too, but hey us fans love both of them
Poiuyt
Roadhouse Member

Post by Poiuyt »

If Lynch is involved in the creative process in any way, then this could be very cool. One of my favorite what-ifs of his was that adventure/mystery game from the '90s that never materialized
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

So would a game of this type likely be done with CGI/animation? Or would it incorporate actual footage of the sets/locations? Or is it a mix? I imagine they can’t just use footage from the show because they would need full 360 degree walkaround capabilities, right?

The fact that DKL is previewing this at the Festival of Disruption indicates to me that he is enthusiastic about the result, even if he’s not hands-on involved. For contrast, Mark’s books didn’t have any kind of presence at the FoD, right? Or the various Pop figures and things like that.

OT, it also makes me sad that Mark is so often left out of the equation, especially disappointing in this era when writer/show runners tend to get their props moreso than ever before. I’m so glad I got to meet him and personally convey my appreciation.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

If the Player can walk around freely, then the other characters in there would have to be 3D models. If the Player is confined to certain areas in each room, then unused and recycled footage could be utilized I suppose, although you'd have to have a head-on shot to work with for most setups. It seems like creating models would be the way to go, because your options would be unlimited. Then again what do I know since very little has been released about this project and nothing has been revealed about the gameplay itself.

Oh, and what will they do about The Arm?
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

I highly doubt there'll be fully realized 360 3d models of (human) characters, that is pretty high tech, high budget stuff only blockbuster AAA game companies can do right. I think the EOTA is probably one of the easiest to properly realize in 3d.

Weird thing about this Collider Games is that on their website they don't seem like a game developer company at all. Rather as just a website that reviews games and movies.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Soolsma wrote:I highly doubt there'll be fully realized 360 3d models of (human) characters, that is pretty high tech, high budget stuff only blockbuster AAA game companies can do right. I think the EOTA is probably one of the easiest to properly realize in 3d.

Weird thing about this Collider Games is that on their website they don't seem like a game developer company at all. Rather as just a website that reviews games and movies.
Most likely they'll reuse the 3d models from season 3
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Soolsma wrote:I highly doubt there'll be fully realized 360 3d models of (human) characters, that is pretty high tech, high budget stuff only blockbuster AAA game companies can do right. I think the EOTA is probably one of the easiest to properly realize in 3d.
Don’t forget Drawer Pull Josie!
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Don’t forget Drawer Pull Josie!
I'd be so happy if wandering around the Red Room you could just come across Josie from the neck down just sticking out of the curtains.

I think this will be super cool though. Hopefully they'll add other areas as time goes on. I know the Convenience Store was modeled in 3D as were at least parts of the Fireman's House. Exploring those places would be amazing as well.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Anyone going to the festival? I'd love to hear about it.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Soolsma wrote:Anyone going to the festival? I'd love to hear about it.
Someone from reddit is going. Wish I got to go :(
Andromedeaux
Roadhouse Member

Post by Andromedeaux »

This thread reminded me of one of my favorite pieces from S3:

https://www.polygon.com/2017/7/11/15951 ... games-myst

This took the words right out of my mouth at the time. I remember thinking that red room scenes must have been directly inspired by Myst when I watched my first TP in the 2000s but the Return and its late 90s graphics (I think Windows 2000 to be exact) are uncanny resemblence to MYST. I would love it if somebody did a twin peaks adventure game... find your own ending. Maybe you can save Laura but my guess is you'll get pulled back out of a dream and into the world of Carrie Page (where I believe us all to reside, basically). I want to be able to save some others though - Sam and Tracy and also Hutch and Chantal. My favorite S3 vanquished.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

“Immediately after the pool turns to blood, viewers are transported to the Red Room, an extra-dimensional space that’s been a key feature of Twin Peaks in both the original series from the 1990s and the modern revival that aired last year. (It’s also a location frequently visited by the show’s main character, FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper.) Inside the room, viewers aren’t able to walk like they can in some VR experiences, but they’re able to teleport within the room as it rapidly changes in ways similar to what happens in the show itself. (One moment, a statue falls over before running around as a shadow on the other side of a curtain. In another, users can pick up a coffee mug that won’t empty until the second time it’s picked up.) The demo ends as a white horse appears in the room in the distance, surrounded in darkness but unreachable.”

From: https://hhhhappy.com/david-lynch-gives- ... een-light/

^- Mind you, the trailer on that webpage is not for the official TP:VR project, rather for a fan project that aims to do the same.
CuriousWoman
Roadhouse Member

Post by CuriousWoman »

I never played VR but since the 2d game simulator of the Red Room I always thought that it could be adapted into a low budget game in the same vein as those that made guys like pewdiepie or markiplier famous (slender, SCP-087-B). Do VR games like that absolutely need a headset to launch or can they usually be played on a mere computer ?

I find interview linked above quite interesting, especially the fact that everything in this game actually gets through Lynch for approval (i'm of the mind that if something involved one the co-creators then it's a valid source).

As a bonus, according to them we'll finally get to know what the red room ceiling is like amonf other things. What was your idea that until now ? the same motif as the ground ? a mirror? a starry sky like at glastonburry grove? My favorite is the one that the drapes go on indefinitely so we can't see anything else.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

CuriousWoman wrote:Do VR games like that absolutely need a headset to launch or can they usually be played on a mere computer ?
You would need a high end gaming pc and a headset