Moira Kelly and The Return

Discussion of Twin Peaks TV Series, Fire Walk With Me, and Books

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

Forum rules
Welcome to the forum. We know our members are passionate about their love for all things Twin Peaks. You wouldn't be here if that wasn't the case. Despite having differing viewpoints it is a policy that we all treat each other with mutual respect.

Posting abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated, or any material that may violate any laws be it of your country or the country where this forum is hosted will get you permanently banned.

Posting of spoilers are allowed as long as you indicate (Spoilers) in the topic name and use the Spoiler Tag.
User avatar
Jonah
Posts: 1006
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:39 am

Moira Kelly and The Return

Postby Jonah » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:13 pm

I've read conflicting accounts about LFB and The Return, some that she was offered but refused, and others that there was no role for her.

I haven't come across anything about Moira Kelly.

Given how The Return is so similar in tone to FWWM in some respects and how Lynch uses the FWWM version of the Palmer house, the diner, etc., having Moira Kelly as Donna in The Return would have fit. I wonder why she wasn't approached for role? Any one have any more info on this?
Last edited by Jonah on Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vicksvapor77
Posts: 541
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:51 pm

Re: Moira Kelly and The Return

Postby vicksvapor77 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:19 pm

Jonah wrote:I've read conflicting accounts about LFB and The Return, some that she was offered but refused, and others that there was no role for her.


Lara Flynn Boyle was definitely offered to return. See these time-stamped interview pieces with Sabrina:
https://youtu.be/OPc3CU1nEB4?t=2498
https://youtu.be/OPc3CU1nEB4?t=3090

I assume they decided that if they couldn't get Boyle back, there would be no Donna. I don't think it was anything to do with Moira's performance but rather that Lynch was trying to "recreate" the pilot experience since he sees that as the quintessential Twin Peaks experience.

I have no solid proof of this but I do have *some* information I can't share that suggests that Gersten replaced Donna in the story with Steven, albeit probably in a minimized role from what was originally there, the same way that we know Sylvia replaced Audrey in the assault scene (we know Audrey had more than this with her hair salon but the brutal scene with Richard was definitely written for Audrey initially.)
Last edited by vicksvapor77 on Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Jonah
Posts: 1006
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:39 am

Re: Moira Kelly and The Return

Postby Jonah » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:35 pm

It's a shame they didn't approach Kelly once LFB turned it down. I think she would have fit in well. I could have seen her not only in the Gersten Hayward role, but even in the Renee role crying in the Roadhouse.

vicksvapor77 wrote: See these time-stamped interview pieces with Sabrina:
https://youtu.be/OPc3CU1nEB4?t=2498
https://youtu.be/OPc3CU1nEB4?t=3090



Sutherland mentions people were offered but turned it down.

So that's MJA, LFB, Michael Ontkean. Anyone else?
vicksvapor77
Posts: 541
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:51 pm

Re: Moira Kelly and The Return

Postby vicksvapor77 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:40 pm

EDIT: Never mind, earlier post was edited.
Last edited by vicksvapor77 on Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vicksvapor77
Posts: 541
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:51 pm

Re: Moira Kelly and The Return

Postby vicksvapor77 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:41 pm

Jonah wrote:It's a shame they didn't approach Kelly once LFB turned it down. I think she would have fit in well. I could have seen her not only in the Gersten Hayward role, but even in the Renee role crying in the Roadhouse.


Renee was a role already written, she wasn't a replacement for Donna.
User avatar
Jonah
Posts: 1006
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:39 am

Re: Moira Kelly and The Return

Postby Jonah » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:42 pm

I know, but she also said a few people turned down roles in general. So I was just wondering who they were?

And then I said, once LFB turned down the Donna role, I think they should have gone to Moira Kelly.
vicksvapor77
Posts: 541
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:51 pm

Re: Moira Kelly and The Return

Postby vicksvapor77 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:43 pm

Jonah wrote:I know, but she also said a few people turned down roles in general. So I was just wondering who they were?

And then I said, once LFB turned down the Donna role, I think they should have gone to Moira Kelly.


Sorry! I replied too quick, I redacted my post because you edited yours haha. :)
User avatar
N. Needleman
Posts: 2035
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:39 pm

Re: Moira Kelly and The Return

Postby N. Needleman » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:07 pm

I honestly still don't believe it about LFB. It still feels like a polite white lie told to allow her dignity given her IRL troubles in recent years; they don't directly speak on her unless directly asked, and then only very briefly. I can't see where Donna could have fit. I guess it's possible it was Gersten.

Aside from MJA's meltdown I only know of one other alleged turndown, which had extenuating circumstances.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
User avatar
Mr. Reindeer
Posts: 2365
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: Moira Kelly and The Return

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:56 pm

N. Needleman wrote:I honestly still don't believe it about LFB. It still feels like a polite white lie told to allow her dignity given her IRL troubles in recent years; they don't directly speak on her unless directly asked, and then only very briefly. I can't see where Donna could have fit. I guess it's possible it was Gersten.



I know we’ve done this dance before, but I respectfully disagree. Lynch has always rejoiced in casting washed-up/“troubled” actors (see Dennis Hopper in 1985 as the epitome of this), and given that credible sources have repeatedly told this version of events involving LFB, I see absolutely no reason to disbelieve it. Gersten’s appearance in TP:TR feels equally random to Sylvia’s (yes, Lynch has a longstanding relationship with Alicia Witt, but the character appeared in one episode as a child). It feels eminently credible to me that, with decades of water under the bridge, L/F intended for Donna (one of four characters to appear in every single episode of the original show) to return on the new show, that LFB still had a chip on her shoulder, and that they then slotted in a random bit player, just as they did with Audrey/Sylvia. I mean, honestly, what are her “troubles”? Some bad plastic surgery and substance abuse issues? I don’t see that being an obstacle in Lynch’s eyes, in and of itself, to her doing a few days of shooting. We’re talking about a director who repeatedly cast a chronically alcoholic Jack Nance.
User avatar
N. Needleman
Posts: 2035
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:39 pm

Re: Moira Kelly and The Return

Postby N. Needleman » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:33 pm

It is entirely possible. She's just been divorced from Peaks for so long that idk, I don't see it.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
vicksvapor77
Posts: 541
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:51 pm

Re: Moira Kelly and The Return

Postby vicksvapor77 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:03 pm

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:I honestly still don't believe it about LFB. It still feels like a polite white lie told to allow her dignity given her IRL troubles in recent years; they don't directly speak on her unless directly asked, and then only very briefly. I can't see where Donna could have fit. I guess it's possible it was Gersten.



I know we’ve done this dance before, but I respectfully disagree. Lynch has always rejoiced in casting washed-up/“troubled” actors (see Dennis Hopper in 1985 as the epitome of this), and given that credible sources have repeatedly told this version of events involving LFB, I see absolutely no reason to disbelieve it. Gersten’s appearance in TP:TR feels equally random to Sylvia’s (yes, Lynch has a longstanding relationship with Alicia Witt, but the character appeared in one episode as a child). It feels eminently credible to me that, with decades of water under the bridge, L/F intended for Donna (one of four characters to appear in every single episode of the original show) to return on the new show, that LFB still had a chip on her shoulder, and that they then slotted in a random bit player, just as they did with Audrey/Sylvia. I mean, honestly, what are her “troubles”? Some bad plastic surgery and substance abuse issues? I don’t see that being an obstacle in Lynch’s eyes, in and of itself, to her doing a few days of shooting. We’re talking about a director who repeatedly cast a chronically alcoholic Jack Nance.


Well said! I 100% believe Lara was asked back. Again, I don't feel comfortable indicating much more other than Gersten was definitely added through the course of rewrites. Since Steven was having an affair with someone, I think Donna is the most logical choice given that Gersten is her sister, they did this with Audrey/Sylvia, Sabrina says Lara was asked back, Mark Frost kept Donna as a drug addict in The Final Dossier up until he had to amend the outcome of her character due to the rewrites, it was a way to tie two original characters together through story (Donna/Shelly)... It all adds up, at least to me with what I know.
User avatar
N. Needleman
Posts: 2035
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:39 pm

Re: Moira Kelly and The Return

Postby N. Needleman » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:18 pm

Fair enough!
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
LateReg
Posts: 891
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 5:19 pm

Re: Moira Kelly and The Return

Postby LateReg » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:06 pm

I personally love that it ended up being Gersten. Such a powerful and strange bit of screentime. A totally peripheral character that gives a deeper glimpse into the life and trajectory of the town. And Witt knocked it out of the park.
BGate
Posts: 233
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:15 am

Re: Moira Kelly and The Return

Postby BGate » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:50 pm

vicksvapor77 wrote:I have no solid proof of this but I do have *some* information I can't share that suggests that Gersten replaced Donna in the story with Steven



This is my suspicion too although I have no hard information, at least nothing I can recall.

Return to “Twin Peaks Movie, TV, Books”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests