What other TV shows do us Peak Freaks like?!

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

barryconvex
Roadhouse Member

Post by barryconvex »

Carnivale and Riget would possibly my number one picks, they simply succeed in every way possible: acting, storytelling, characters and the way humour is part of it all, not simply an addition.

In my opinion, The X Files have moments of greatness, but sometimes I wonder if the people involved really knew what made it special. I can definitely do without the "Mulder!" "Scully?" "Mulder?" "Scully!" dialogues, and the scenes dealing with "why isn't Agent Mulder around?" "plots".
In retrospect, it seems strange that the X Files were so nonsensual, cold and almost asexual apart from the Mulder / Scully interaction and yet they are so often referred to as Twin Peaks rip-offs.
Just look at the colors, clothing, cars and blank surfaces.

CSI Las Vegas is fantastic to me, I only really know the first five seasons, the "Fur and Loathing in Las Vegas" episode is television greatness.

Apart from that, put possibly not easy to get abroad: Polizeiruf 110 with the one-armed detective (German series): dry humour, wonderful characters, believable plots but much more personal and emotional than the standard television series. The Scandinavians are also very good at devlopping these more personal series (Beck).
Auggeo
Roadhouse Member

Post by Auggeo »

"Lost". It seems that some twin peaks fans dont like "lost" for some reason. I think its an amazing series with its great mix of adventure, romance, horror, humour and drama. It has it charm like TP. I really love each episode, because it focus in only character giving it a great deph and complexity. its also similar to twin peaks, because of its continuity. its not like x-files that recicles the same story in so many episodes...
Ive seen so many series in all my life..but to this day...lost gave me a reason to watch tv..just like twin peaks 16 years ago..
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Battlestar Galactica
Firefly
Lost
Six Feet Under
Sopranos

Guilty Pleasures are:

Kill Point
Nip/Tuck
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Recently started watching WONDERFALLS. I like it. It's well-written, well-made, quirky and intelligent. Co-created by TP's Todd Holland, with most episodes directed by him as well.

Is EERIE, INDIANA good and worth buying on DVD? I only vaguely remember it ....
zachary_mayo

Post by zachary_mayo »

I found John from Cincinnati really interesting and intriguing.

It's from David Milch.

The first 5 minutes of the last episode were one of the most beautiful thing I've seen in a TV show (the beautiful Bob Dylan's Series of Dreams can be heard at that moment).

There won't be no second season. At first, I was disappointed to hear that, and now I finally find it's a good thing : the whole mystery of the show stays intact, and leaves us a big room to dream.

And the two hawaiian characters were really hilarious.

I also just began to watch Carnivale. I have it for a long time, and never found the time to see it. Episodes 1 and 2 were really interesting, and it's always a pleasure to see Little Mike.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Eerie Indiana was fantastic! Some of the same actors from Twin Peaks were in it and Tim Hunter directed a few episodes. There were also many references to Peaks in the show. Buy it for sure!

Blake's 7
Doctor Who
Upstairs Downstairs
The Comic Strip
The Simpsons
On The Air
The Prisoner
Last edited by Jerry Horne on Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

A few great ones that haven't been mentioned yet (i think)

"Moon Over Miami" created by Twin Peaks's Harley Peyton. Detective show with a touch of romantic comedy starring Bill Campbell("The 4400") and Ally Walker ("Profiler")

"Studio 60 on the sunset strip" Aaron Sorkins best show so far, greatly underrated.

"Profit" short lived show co-created by David Greenwalt ("Angel","Jake 2.0")

I agree with previous posters that "Wonderfalls" and the second season of "Millennium"(essentially one long story) are essential viewing.
zachary_mayo

Post by zachary_mayo »

You're right, Eyeboogers, Profit was something.

There's the great Adrian Pasdar in it. I watched Heroes because of him. And found it was crap. Super heroes who never use their power, what a waste of time !
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

[quote="Jerry Horne"]Eerie Indiana was fantastic! Some of the same actors from Twin Peaks were in it and Tim Hunter directed a few episodes. There were also many references to Peaks in the show. Buy it for sure!
/quote]

Ok cool. I've been meaning to buy it for a long time, so now I actually will! I saw on your site, Jerry, an upcoming article called "Do kids of Twin Peaks Fans dream of Eerie, Indiana"? Something like that. Looking forward to it.

I think shows that came closest to Peaks were definitely CARNIVALE and RIGET.

But still curious about a lot of other TV shows I mentioned on first page of this topic. I don't watch TV as such, just TV shows on DVD, so there's a lot I've missed.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Has anyone heard of a show called WOLF LAKE? Werewolves - set in Seattle. Cancelled after only few episodes. Sounds interesting.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Jonah-
That article will go up this month and will point out all the Peaks connections.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Cool.

Looking forward to it, Jerry.

I purchased EERIE INDIANA - THE COMPLETE SERIES on DVD and looking forward to it arriving. I believe there was a spin off several years later, "The Other Dimension" - is this good also?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I've heard to avoid 'The Other Dimension'
They-Shot-Waldo!
RR Diner Member

Post by They-Shot-Waldo! »

Doctor Who
Firefly
Veronica Mars
Lost
The Twilight Zone (original)
and of course... The Sopranos.

Speaking of the last one, a nice article I came across had this to say: "Even more than 'Twin Peaks', another deeply cinematic reworking of a genre idea, "The Sopranos" made a cogent case for elevating television's standards."
http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/article ... ig_screen/
-- Gerry

the black dog runs at night
mark84
Roadhouse Member

Post by mark84 »

The other dimension had its moments, and as i recall some of the same actors/actresses, however i think it was basically a poor version of the original.