What other TV shows do us Peak Freaks like?!

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

What other TV shows do us Peak Freaks like?!

Post by Jonah »

"Twin Peaks" is without a doubt my ALL-TIME FAVOURITE TV show. It's on the top of the list. Over the years, I've searched for other shows like TP. We all know that so many shows that have been aired in the last 17 years that are in anyway a little bit different or edgy gets the "The New Twin Peaks" tag. None of these have ever lived up to TP in my opinion, however.

I was wondering, what other shows do fellow TP fans like? I've listed some of mine below. Most of them I encountered due to TP but not all of them.

2. NORTHERN EXPOSURE
I think this is highly underrated. It has been described as TP lite or TP for the masses. I don't think this is true. NE has a lot going for it - and it managed to stay quirky and interesting for 6 long seasons - and it never once resorted to any network TV cliches such as cliffhangers! (in six seasons, not one cliffhanger). I love Cicely, Alaska and the people in it. It's just a shame about the original music not being on the DVDs.

3. THE KINGDOM (RIGET)
Lars Von Trier's Danish show. Lot of TP parallels. Arguably weirder and darker. But not better. The closest thing to TP in my opinion however.

4. FRASIER
Nothing to do with TP! But I loved it. Witty and fresh.

5. QUEER AS FOLK (US version)
6. THE OFFICE ( both US & UK versions)

Love both these shows. The US versions surprised me by being longer and better. The Office started to get too silly in Season 3 but hopefully will come back to itself in Season 4. QAF was constantly interesting - dramatic and entertaining. I could've lived without all the sex, however, - it never needed this to draw the viewers in, the storylines were sufficient.

I also like LOST and have watched all of it to date. However, it would not be a favourite of mine by any means and I think it does not resemble TP as much as the media thinks. It's much more mainstream than TP and much more stretched out than TP ever was (and people got fed up of waiting for Laura's killer's identity after only a few months? Lost has been on 3 years with very few answers!).

Other TV shows I like are The Golden Girls (blush - I know, I know, but I like those sweet old gals and I think it was very witty), American Gothic (more Stephen King than TP though), Ellen, Weeds, Dexter, and Monk (I love HBO and Showtime).

Finally, I love CARNIVALE. It has many TP connections, including Michael J. Anderson finally getting a role to sink his teeth into. Like TP, it was cut down in its prime and should have been given more time to grow and develop.
Last edited by Jonah on Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sstroud

Re: What other TV shows do us Peak Freaks like?!

Post by sstroud »

I really like(d) John From Cincinnatti on HBO. I felt it had some similarities to Twin Peaks. Mystery, mysticism and room to dream. Sadly it has been cut down as well. I'm not the biggest fan of HBO these days (I never got over the Carnivale cancellation and now this). :evil:
D0ppelgangerDale
Roadhouse Member

Post by D0ppelgangerDale »

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is my favorite show of all time. I think it's a really entertaining show because it has a little of everything...drama, comedy, adventure, romance, fantasy, etc. And I love all four main characters. They have an amazing bond, and it's awesome watching them fight the forces of evil together.

X-Files is my second favorite show. I love watching Scully and Mulder interact, and most of the stories are pretty exciting and intriguing.

Shows I LOVE...
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
X-Files

Shows I REALLY LIKE...
Twin Peaks
Freaks and Geeks (another show that was cancelled before its time :cry:)
Angel (could have been great, but the Connor arc went on far too long...at least the last season rocked)
Lost (haven't seen Season 3, but I heard it's not that good)
Veronica Mars (same as with Lost)

Shows I also enjoy...
Smallville
E.R.
Grey's Anatomy
Firefly/Serenity
Battlestar Galactica
The Shield
The Wire
Deadwood
Oz
Scrubs

There are many shows that I would like to see, but I haven't gotten around to it yet...Stargate, Northern Exposure, Sopranos, West Wing (just started this one), etc.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I tend to like tight smartly written ensemble pieces -doesn't matter the genre. I know most people into Twin Peaks on the net are more into the X Files, Buffy, comic book type shows.

my faves-

Twin Peaks (up until Maddy's body is discovered- the rest I can't deal with)

All in the Family
Cheers (before Diane leaves)
Faulty Towers
Mary Tyler Moore Show
Freaks & Geeks
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
goodguyseatpie

Peak Freak shows

Post by goodguyseatpie »

I haven't had cable or network television since 2001, so I've missed a lot of stuff. However, through the power of Netflix, I have seen some amazing shows that have popped up in the 2000's. All of my "tv" viewing is through dvd's now (usually rented).

My favorites (besides Peaks):

Northern Exposure - I hated the show at first, but by the end of the (short) first season, I was hooked and it's right up there with Peaks for me.
Firefly - High quality space western, with no aliens and no supernatural.
CSI - I'm referring to the original Las Vegas show. I haven't seen the latest season and a half, so I don't know how it is today, but I found it consistently good. Gil Grissom is as quirky and fascinating of an investigator as Cooper. I have seen several episodes of the "spinoff" shows, and they are inferior and unwatchable copies of the original, in my opinion.

I'm also a British mystery junkie, so I always enjoy things like Prime Suspect, Cracker, Poirot, Inspector Alleyn, etc. I'm also a big fan of the A&E detective show, Nero Wolfe. I have enjoyed Lost very much, though I haven't seen the 3rd season yet (so don't spoil me in this thread!).

Guilty pleasure:
The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.
worthit
Roadhouse Member

Post by worthit »

"Twin Peaks" is my absolute all-time favorite, but I'm also a fan of "The X Files", "Lost" and "Riget". As for sit-coms, I don't really care much about them, although there are some that makes me smile. The best one has to be "Seinfeld", but I also like "Friends", "Everybody Loves Raymond" and "The King Of Queens".

I don't watch that much TV. I'm more into movies, but once every decade a decent TV series shows up and surprises me. Wonder what the next one will be?
D0ppelgangerDale
Roadhouse Member

Re: Peak Freak shows

Post by D0ppelgangerDale »

goodguyseatpie wrote:All of my "tv" viewing is through dvd's now (usually rented).
Me, too. I only watch TV on DVD.

I forgot to mention that I also enjoy Arrested Development, Seinfeld, and British version of The Office (haven't seen the American version yet).
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I also love SEINFELD. And it was such a pleasant surprise to see so many Peaks actors in so many great episodes!

There's a few shows I'm thinking about either downloading or (more likely as downloading is so slow for me on my laptop!) buying cheaply on Amazon over the next year. In most cases, have not seen any of them or just one or two episodes. Can anyone shed any light on the below shows? Are they good? Worth watching? Worth owning?

Thanks

MONK
STRANGE LUCK
EVERWOOD
WONDERFALLS
DEAD LIKE ME
NOAH'S ARK
NEWS RADIO
SPORTS NIGHT
NORMAL, OHIO
MEDIUM
EARLY EDITION
GHOST WHISPERER
Last edited by Jonah on Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hank_Jennings
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hank_Jennings »

Twin Peaks is my all time favourite series, but here's what else I like:

The X-Files

I'd probably say its my second favourite, & its certainly not as good as Twin Peaks, but still excellent. The first 5 seasons are top notch, & the main storylines are excellent up until the movie. IMO, the movie is absolutely terrible, & IMO, the quality of the series started to decline since then. People trash seasons 8 & 9, but I thought Season 8 was the best season since season 3. Despite what the haters say, Robert Patrick was excellent as John Doggett IMO, & it was also great that Walter Skinner was given a much bigger role in the last two seasons. I do agree about season 9 though, that was rubbish. I hated the amount of idiotic humour that the writers used in the later seasons, & they certainly were not funny. But, despite the flaws, The X-Files is still top notch,.

Home Improvement

I really just love the slapstick moments, & the storylines they came up with were quite unique IMO. I also really loved the Halloween episodes where they'd be a prank against somebody. Quite underrated series IMO.

I also really love Frasier, Beavis & Butt-Head, & while I don't like it as much now, Seinfeld is still a great show.
Si78
RR Diner Member

Post by Si78 »

Lost (haven't seen Season 3, but I heard it's not that good)
Not at first, especially the first few episodes that comprised the "mini-season". But after that it gets AMAZING. The finale truly is mindblowing. That's my favorite show, currently.

I also love:

Arrested Development
Buffy
Freaks And Geeks
Wonderfalls
Veronica Mars
Roseanne
Firefly
The Office
Big Love

I'm sure there are others, I just can't think of them right now.

I recently watched the pilot for Pushing Daisies, and I loved it. I hope it holds up in series.
Erwin
Roadhouse Member

Post by Erwin »

I'm a bit surprised nobody mentioned The Sopranos.
TravisD

Post by TravisD »

The Sopranos.......got every DVD......8P

American Gothic is one,All the Trek but DS9,Voyager........

But...

IMHO,there is one movie not out on DVD yet,I wish I could get....
When I think about it,it so reminds me of a Lynch film,but isn't.

FINAL APPROACH....... :wink:
The sr-71 movie.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Even though PEAKS is my all-time favourite show, unlike most other TP fans, I never really liked BUFFY or X-FILES ....
TravisD

Post by TravisD »

Jonah wrote:Even though PEAKS is my all-time favourite show, unlike most other TP fans, I never really liked BUFFY or X-FILES ....
Ditto....too corny.
DreadDub

Millenium...

Post by DreadDub »

My vote is for Millenium. First two seasons based in the Northwest. Underlying religious/mythical themes...It was definitely influenced by Twin Peaks. Just a horrible name for a show and only lasted 3 seasons (highly recommend the first 2)...

Dreaddub