STAR PICS AUTOGRAPHED CARDS AND DAVID LYNCH AUTOGRAPHED CARD

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

BrucePhillips

STAR PICS AUTOGRAPHED CARDS AND DAVID LYNCH AUTOGRAPHED CARD

Post by BrucePhillips »

Subject: STAR PICS AUTOGRAPHED CARDS AND DAVID LYNCH AUTOGRAPHED CARD

By Bruce Phillips

I felt the need to comment on the recent postings pertaining to Star Pics autographed cards and a recent David Lynch autographed card as my name has been frequently mentionedBruce Phillips. As many of you know I do not get involved in internet postings. I have been a Twin Peaks fan and collector for 17 years ' since its inception--and have had the privilege of meeting many cast and crew members from Twin Peaks; have assisted in the Twin Peaks festivals; have contributed material to the media, e.g. Entertainment Tonight, Bravo Channel, Wrapped in Plastic, books, and films, enabling me to make invaluable contacts.

I feel it necessary to clarify my position on the Star Pics cards so that Twin Peaks fans can make their own decision. I have no documentation as to any official Star Pics card signed by David Lynch. All the information and conversations I have had only leads me to believe that there is NO "OFFICIAL"Star Pics David Lynch autograph card as part of the officially-released set. I recently had the opportunity to purchase David Lynch Star Pics signed cards and decided not to do so based on earlier known information as well as recent information as of August 2007. All the information I have is that there were 36 "officially signed"Star Pics cards"”not 37"”nor any indication of a Lynch-signed card.

On the value of Star Pics cards, the most I have ever sold a card for is $350. I have sold David Lynch autographed items for $25 - $50. I have sold unofficial Star Pics cards signed by cast members for $20. I personally would spend about $100 on a Star Pics trading card signed by David Lynch at a Twin Peaks cast party obtained personally by one of the Star Pics owners. These Lynch cards would be a nice novelty collector piece. For me to be convinced that there is an official autographed Star Pics card, I would need to see documentation from Star Pics from the 1990's when the cards were released; or perhaps a current legal document signed by all of the Star Pics owners that the Lynch cards were signed at the cast party and were intended for and are officially part of the "official"set. If you were to look at the order form to order one of the autographed cards, there was no David Lynch card. Everything officially distributed at the time the cards were first released showed there were 36 cards. I have owned and sold all 36 cards"”and there has never been a David Lynch card. As we all know, things pop up here and there occasionally by cast, crew, and employees. Perhaps someone had a card and was able to get David Lynch's signature"”that doesn't make it part of the "official"set.

Why am I concerned about all the controversy. It would be one thing if the card was being offered for $20 - $50, but I have seen it being offered for anywhere from $1,000 to $3,000. Normally I don't get involved in these types of controversy, but my name has been brought into the conversations and people have stated that I have made authoritative comments. My only intent in commenting here is to let people know what I know so that you can draw your own conclusions and don't get "burned"on any autographed card because someone says "Bruce Phillips said."

Concerning autographed cards being inserted in the official 76 box card set, I personally have never found an autographed card in such a set. I've had many other people tell me the same thing. However, I have had approximately 5 people tell me they did open a box and find an autographed card. I was told by Star Pics' employees that yes, the earlier-released box sets did include some randomly-inserted autographed cards. They told me that late, redemption cards were inserted and you mailed the redemption card into Star Pics whereupon they would mail you the autographed card. In 1992, a mass mailing was sent out to Twin Peaks fans by Star Pics to purchase individual and grouped autographed cards. I even purchased cards from this mailing and received a certificate of authenticity signed by the president of Star Pics. After Star Pics went out of business, I was contacted and purchased quantities of Star Pics cards, autographed cards, promo items, and other items with documentation all of which I personally picked up. At a later date, I purchased the entire remaining autographed cards"”over 2,000 cards"”and there was no David Lynch card in any of these purchases, and there was no mention or documentation of any David Lynch card. In my 17 years of collecting, there has never been a mention of a David Lynch signed card.

I have been told by several individuals, Star Pics employees, and Twin Peaks cast members that there was a party in California where cards were autographed. I have never had any doubt that there was a party where cast members signed cards. I was told by several cast members that were in attendance that they did not remember David Lynch being at this party. I have been told by Star Pics employees that there was a contract pertaining to the autographed card set and that David Lynch did not sign such a contract for autographed cards. I was recently contacted by one of the former Star Pics' owners pertaining to the recent Ebay offer and the blog postings about David Lynch autographed cards. He advised me that he was at the party and met David Lynch there, who was only there for a short time, (perhaps why cast members didn't remember seeing him there) and that he asked Lynch to sign a few of the Star Pics cards, which he did. He could not remember how many were signed. He indicated five or sixbut under 10. He could not remember if the cards had the official Star Pics sticker on them. He also informed me that he currently has a few autographed cards and a couple of his David Lynch signed cards. He inquired as to the value of the cards whereupon I told him I would be interested in purchasing any of the 36 official signed cards, but I was not interested in any of the David Lynch cards. I indicated that "If I, you, the owner of Star Pics, or whoever met David Lynch and had him sign a card"”whether it had the Star Pics sticker or not"”didn't make it part of the officially-released Star Pics Twin Peaks autographed card set". I did ask if he had any documentation or if Lynch signed a contract that would show these cards were part of the official set. His answer was no.

I am not saying I am any authority"”I am only offering this information to the best of my memory for you to draw your own conclusions.
Respectfully
Bruce Phillips
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Bruce -
It is good to see you here. I hope you stick around. I do consider you an authority on Twin Peaks merchandise (after all, if not you then who?) Since i have been active in this discussion, i must point out that i'm glad that everything i've mentioned so far has been consistent with your post.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Thanks Bruce for your post. As the owner of this board I sincerely appreciate all that you have done for Twin Peaks fans over the years.
sandralpitts

twin peaks cards

Post by sandralpitts »

I bought a case when they came out,
And I got a signed Jennifer Lynch card.
Do you think she would sign,and david not??