"Do your palms ever itch?" All things Audrey

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

They-Shot-Waldo!
RR Diner Member

Re: "Do your palms ever itch?" All things Audrey

Post by They-Shot-Waldo! »

Niiiice! It's always interesting reading these magazine tidbits years later in hindsight. I keep seeing Desire and Hell at the Sunset Motel for cheap on Amazon, but not even my love for Fenn is enough to make me purchase just yet. (As cool as it is seeing the Twin Peaks leading players in random stuff).
-- Gerry

the black dog runs at night
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

got the scans from Jerry! They look great, don't they?

2.05 up in a couple of days. I love this next one.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Qyle Cooper

Post by Qyle Cooper »

Hi Audrey Horne, thanks a lot for these brilliant analyses of the character of Audrey.
I'm new on this forum
I'm a huge fan of Sherilyn Fenn (well, I became pretty obsessed by her since Twin Peaks), and Audrey is one of my favorite characters.

Audrey makes me think of a female version of Blue Velvet's Jeffrey Beaumont.
Both Jeffrey Beaumont and Audrey Horne are innocent characters who become fascinated by a mystery they want to solve. They begin to investigate on their own and through that fascination, they enter a world of perversion.
The character of Audrey was associated with Blue Velvet references. Audrey's spying on Battis through the slats of the closet is similar to Jeffrey Beaumont's spying scene (you already mentionned it). And Audrey's line : "I'm sinking! I'm sinking!" made me think of Isabella Rossellini's line in Blue Velvet : "I'm falling! I'm falling!"

Another theme that you mentionned is the blonde-brunette duality/opposition with the association of characters with opposite characteristics. We have three characters, Audrey, Donna and Maddy (all brunettes), who are fascinated by Laura (blonde) and have opposite characteristics with her. Through their investigation, each of them eventually end up replacing Laura for a while: Audrey at One Eyed Jack's, Donna at Meals on Wheels, and Maddy with her blonde wig.

By the way, you mentionned on another thread Sherilyn Fenn having a hard time on set
Audrey Horne wrote:Sherilyn was having a hard time on set with the others.
what did you mean by that?
Sherilyn Fenn is 5 feet of heaven in a ponytail
Qyle Cooper

Post by Qyle Cooper »

Audrey Horne wrote:a great magazine clipping from my collection -a little worn from time, but still great.

Jerry Horne wrote:Audrey - do you see a photo credit anywhere?
The photographer of these pictures is Craig Sjodin. He works for ABC.
Sherilyn Fenn is 5 feet of heaven in a ponytail
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Qyle Cooper -great seeing your posts- love everything you're adding. (and love the screenname)

Hmm, Fenn having a hard time on set -guess I did say that. But who knows what I was thinking and who am I to guess. I'm trying to remember where I put two and two together -but I know I remember hearing things about this when the show was ending back in 91.

I know jerry horne has a blurb about it over at his site in recalling memories of a production crew member saying the feeling was either Fenn wasn't up to snuff as an actress or the character had spiraled out of control, and that she was upset about her breakup with Johnny Depp (which would be odd since I'm pretty sure that had been over before Peaks even aired -and he was with Winona Ryder).

From her Details cover story in 1991, she talks briefly about not doing the Twin Peaks movie -"I feel it's being made for the wrong reasons." And in another article, she said the series ended for her when the Cooper/Audrey plot was abandoned. In interviews on the DVDs she mentions, "I'm sure I was being difficult..." most directly to the Miss Twin Peaks pagent -she didn't film her scenes written in the script and only did the speech. I think there was also an issue amongst ABC, production and Fenn about the Playboy spread as well.

but who knows. every job has highs and lows and gossip and love and hate. it's all just conjecture on my part. She has talked about being semi full of herself at that time- and she was in pretty high demand, so I'm sure that leads to jockeying and position as mixed feelings amongst a bunch of young actors on the possible brink of stardom in which television (back then) is a second rate field compared to movies.

but more importantly, will get back to work on the next entry. Love your comments -and gosh, I couldn't even remember saying some of the things you mentioned. I do agree on the Blue Velvet homage and the similarities. The Audrey as innocent and peering into the adult world is absolute- and to me one of the strongest aspects to the series. Audrey, Donna and to a degree Maddy all taking on a part of Laura, to me, is what the whole show is about. Not finding out who killed Laura, but how this ghost affects the people. I love the fact that Lynch wasn't even interested in who killed her -as Bobby himself rightfully tells the viewers -"You wanna know who killed Laura? WE DID! We all did."

To me, one of the reasons why I am not particularly interested in Fire Walk With Me (although I think it is extremely well made) is because it defines Laura. I thought the power of the initial series was Laura is a photograph- everything and nothing. She exists only to define others based on their relationship with her -she IS Audrey, Donna, Ben etc. Once she becomes an entity and we see concrete scenes not presented from character's point of view (ie. James and Laura at the wishing well in 1.01) it deflates the enigma.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Don't leave us hanging Audrey!!
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

sorry, sorry. Life has just been hectic for the past few months -"nothing I can't handle or anything, I'm sure if I'm going to be doing the work I am doing right now, I'll be put in situations more dangerous..."

seriously, been swamped in the grown up world and in desperate need of a vacation -and I don't say that lightly.

Give me about a week and I'll get back in the saddle (shoes)- also have some great stills to scan.
NoiselessFan
Roadhouse Member

Post by NoiselessFan »

Had never seen any eps of TP til my gf gave me the Gold Box Set last month. Started watching last weekend, couldn't stop, best show ever made - UNTIL ep 8! From ep 8 on the show went from tense with a little goofy mixed in to goofy with a little tense built in. This shift grew worse into the 2nd season, sadly.

Then I watched the Extras disc and understood perfectly. I understand how a show with such a delicate balance of quirky would be hard to keep on the tightrope, but what I don't understand is why a show would ignore the obvious and commit suicide. Unlike most on this thread, I haven't spent years rewatching the show and missing my fav characters or the best scenes featuring them, so I feel my opinion is unbiased by time. There is no doubt the best thing the show had going was Cooper and Audrey, for reasons very obvious to me watching the series and even more so after reading this thread.

The author of this thread has put in words better than my unwritten thoughts can express and scratched an intellectual itch I wouldn't spent yrs fumbling to find. There has never been a super couple on TV as great as what this show had... and they threw it away?!

What's worse is they actually knew what they had and still tossed it!! The creators of the show had planned for the romantic arc and decided it was too dangerous to put a 30 yr old man with an 18 yr old woman - are they kidding me? A show that hung its hat on a 50 yr old man raping and killing his 17 yr old daughter felt a love affair between Cooper and Audrey was too morally hot to handle?

...when the audience had already all but approved of it? What?? I don't know whether to laugh or cry. This upsets my stomach. And I'm not a hopeless hapless romantic. I'm a dude who can't stand soaps and sappy sob stories - yet I find myself pissed.

Hence I've reached out to this board hoping some TP fans who have followed the show for yrs have some extra data on why the Cooper/Audrey arc was passed on. Please, can someone tell me something, anything that makes sense of why the creators of the series wanted to do what would've worked and chose to ruin the show instead? I read in an earlier post that Fenn felt her character ended when the arc was aborted. I agree with her.

Why would the writers kill one of the 2 most popular characters?

Your Pal,
NoiselessFan
yvanehtnioj1214
Roadhouse Member

Post by yvanehtnioj1214 »

First of all, welcome NoiselessFan!

I think they stopped the whole Cooper/Audrey thing because Kyle Machlachlan was uncomfortable with it because it didn't go with the character and I agree. Cooper seemed way too morally upright to be in a sexual relationship with an underage girl and drag her into all the trouble. I was even surprised when Audrey shows up in his bed and he says he wants to sleep with her but can't. I do think they should have continued the flirtatiousness between them. The whole relationship thing could've been something that the audience thought could potentially happen but never did. Anyway, just my thoughts on the matter.
The giant
Roadhouse Member

Post by The giant »

yvanehtnioj1214 wrote:First of all, welcome NoiselessFan!

I think they stopped the whole Cooper/Audrey thing because Kyle Machlachlan was uncomfortable with it because it didn't go with the character and I agree. Cooper seemed way too morally upright to be in a sexual relationship with an underage girl and drag her into all the trouble. I was even surprised when Audrey shows up in his bed and he says he wants to sleep with her but can't. I do think they should have continued the flirtatiousness between them. The whole relationship thing could've been something that the audience thought could potentially happen but never did. Anyway, just my thoughts on the matter.
Another problem was that Lara Flynn Boyle wasn't comfortable with the Cooper/Audrey relationship. Since Kyle and Lara were dating at the time.
I'm gonna go out for a sandwich
NoiselessFan
Roadhouse Member

Post by NoiselessFan »

1) 18 is not underage and the creators were clear about pointing this out in season 1
2) How can Kyle take the moral high ground when he had an affair with a married woman (his partner's wife no less)? Did Kyle protest this too? Last time I checked, dating a married woman was adultery.
3) The same writers Kyle disagreed with are the ones who created his character in the first place - he should stick to acting and let the writers write

Thanks for the welcome, btw
NoiselessFan
Roadhouse Member

Post by NoiselessFan »

The giant wrote:
yvanehtnioj1214 wrote:First of all, welcome NoiselessFan!

Another problem was that Lara Flynn Boyle wasn't comfortable with the Cooper/Audrey relationship. Since Kyle and Lara were dating at the time.

Haha, Lara wasn't comfortable with Audrey? How did Kyle feel about James season 1?

It's funny that Frost and Lynch were grateful to the networks for not getting in the way of their story - it's a shame they turned around and let their cast do exactly that.
The giant
Roadhouse Member

Post by The giant »

Haha, I guess Kyle didn't have a problem with that.
I'm gonna go out for a sandwich
NoiselessFan
Roadhouse Member

Post by NoiselessFan »

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the show would've survived longer if the writers had gone with their first instinct - i.e. there were many problems with season 2.

But I like it when the creators do things their way, then let the chips fall.

Drama comes from tension and tension comes from people resisting and giving in to things out of character for them, so the same reason they separated Coop and Audr is why they should've pushed them together. Of course the whole thing was "wrong" for him...

That's what made it so right for television. Where's the drama in easy relationships?
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Okay, NoiselessFan! To quote Bobby Briggs, "...I like the way you think."

thanks for the comments, and I promise I'm getting ready to fire this puppy back up. In fact, I loved where Audrey went in the next batch of episodes. And of course, then delve into where it all went terribly wrong.

I can't possibly state for a fact what happened -none of us where there. But I have a hard time imagining MacLachlan had no idea the possibility of what they were doing when they scripted earlier scenes in season one and early season two. And I would never advocate for a story in which these two are skipping down the lane hand in hand -what fun is that? Just in terms of story, the two were diverted and that's where the Twin Peaks souffle collapsed. Not only that, but the delicious triangle between Cooper, Audrey and Benjamin Horne- not to mention sweeping under the rug the tension and animoisity between father and daughter into a pat resolution that definitely robbed Audrey of her character- up until then, one of the most fascinating characters ever created on television -and I know my television.

Anyone alive and walking back in 1990 knows Twin Peaks had two things going on -Who Killed that prom queen, and when the FBI Agent was going to get it on with the sexpot in the saddle shoes. I can't believe why anyone involved in a hit tv show would abort the one storyline they predominantly knew was a hook for viewers -seems like a form of suicide. I can't even think of another situation where something like this happened without an actor leaving the show -ie. Shelley Long departing Cheers, or the chemistry collasping once the two get together (Moonlighting, Ross and Rachel in Friends, etc). This was a strange case of sabatoging within the show itself without the case of someone leaving and damge control needing to be done.

In any case, NoiselessFan, check out the Changes to Second Season thread... I went a little crazy (or a lot) and reworked/reimagined the series without the hiccup starting in mid second season. All the episodes are grouped around the 50th page.

And I'll try for the next installment in this tread tomorrow. Lots of fun discussion.