"Do your palms ever itch?" All things Audrey

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

euro
Roadhouse Member

Re: "Do your palms ever itch?" All things Audrey

Post by euro »

I want Audrey back, walking in her fathers footsteps. She's the new leader of the Great Northern. I hope she survived the Bank Explosion.
Through the darkness of futures past
The magician longs to see
One chants out between two worlds
Fire walk with me
Navona

Post by Navona »

After a rewatch last night I am hoping that Cooper's "See you later Audrey" is foreshadowing and not a momentary dismissal due to sexual tension/Audrey's age.

AND Audrey Horne I love your exploration of Audrey's nascent mystical powers. Considering the White Lodge's lack of involvement in the more mundane issues of the town it is indeed of note that the Giant would come back to warn Cooper that he had forgotten something. After all the White Lodge doesn't get involved in the events surrounding Bobby/Shelley or other love affairs. That they should respond so quickly to Audrey's prayer and help her erstwhile lover find her shows that the White Lodge had more than a casual interest in Audrey.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Re:

Post by BOB1 »

The photos posted a few pages back are simply STUNNING! :shock: :shock: Image

However it does not change the fact that if Audrey is to be back for Season 3...
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:... first they need to reveal Audrey was some kind of cyborg, so she only needed a little repair after the bank explosion to go back to work full speed.
Sorry!

And Ben, too, double sorry :)

Yeah, normally it would look like a cliffhanger. Only, this day (night?) in Twin Peaks was everything short of normal. It is the night of outwordly powers breaking loose and all hell breaking loose. Ben banged his head, that's not such a big thing but look at how he shivered then - premortal convulsions, obviously.
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Re: Re:

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

BOB1 wrote:Ben banged his head, that's not such a big thing but look at how he shivered then - premortal convulsions, obviously.
Yeah, I noticed that too. Still, Ben being alive after the bang (and hopefully back to his old self) would be more acceptable than Audrey well and in one piece after an explosion :lol:
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Re: Re:

Post by BOB1 »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote: hopefully back to his old self
you don't like carrots, do you?!
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

BOB1 wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote: hopefully back to his old self
you don't like carrots, do you?!
Nah. Cigar Ben is the best
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

And rebellious/ with a crush on Coop Audrey is the best, too.

Still, I sort of both liked the 'good' Ben and the 'tamed' Audrey, too. I mean, I liked them very much!
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

BOB1 wrote:And rebellious/ with a crush on Coop Audrey is the best, too.

Still, I sort of both liked the 'good' Ben and the 'tamed' Audrey, too. I mean, I liked them very much!
'Good' Ben kind of ruined it for me. I'm sure the bang was meant to either change the character back or kill him off because 'Good' Ben was clearly not working

"Tamed" Audrey doesn't bother me so much. I think it's more believable that she moved on from Cooper to the next dark stranger that came to town than to be "forever in love with him".Too soapy for my taste.
When I was her age I used to have many crushes and I'd move on to the next when I realized it wasn't going to happen.
Last edited by Agent Sam Stanley on Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

bump -for talking about Audrey, Annie, Cooper (anyone) instead of the Season Three Unspoiler thread.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
nonemoreblack
RR Diner Member

Post by nonemoreblack »

Thank you for making this thread Audrey Horne. I'm really enjoying it. I have a couple of questions for you. First, I was wondering if you could shed some light on MacLachlan and Fenn's relationship. Do they generally get along, or were things weird between them after Season 2's messiness? Also, what are you hoping to see in regards to Audrey's character in Season 3? I'm hoping that her character is respected enough that she will have some relevance to Cooper 's story and won't just be a random cameo to appease fans.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

No problem... I think it is just easier in the long run to avoid nasty debates.

I don't know if I can read this thread from the beginning without cringing - it's like finding a box of your high school poetry or something.

For the Fenn/MacLachlan dynamic - from my understanding, it was always cordial - they were fine, but it was always professional, never buddy buddy. I only know from her side that she knew their scenes clicked, and she liked doing them. I got the sense that she didn't even know about the behind the scenes politics until much later after the Coop/Audrey arc had been dropped, not realizing that it had been dropped; catching on when two love interests were brought in for each of their characters. *But I also think she and so many of the young hot actors were indifferent to some of these changes because they were also thinking already of their film careers and moving away from TV.

For Season 3, I'd have to approach it from thinking what I would have wanted for years and years of Peaks returning. I would have definitely wanted it to revert back to its season one (and best of early season two) roots. I would be fine if some of the later stuff was completely retconned, or never mentioned. For Audrey, I would have lobbied to go back to the original quirks and traits that made the character work. I always liked her more feeling like an outsider to the town she lives in, and a maladjusted introvert. I probably would want to see her as FBI without a family, no social life. And comes back to Twin Peaks for whatever reason the central mystery call for... it gives the character something to work towards, an appreciation of the place she always wanted to leave.
nonemoreblack
RR Diner Member

Post by nonemoreblack »

That's good to know, thank you. I noticed Kyle hasn't had any pictures with her during promotion for season 3 and wasn't sure if I should infer anything from that.

I agree with your thoughts. I always liked how Audrey was implied to be Laura Palmer's foil, and I want her to have an important connection to the main story again. The image of her having settled down as a normal mum with a family doesn't sit right with me.

I really didn't think bringing up Cooper/Audrey would be so controversial. It seems many people think they can only be discussed in a romantic context, but to my mind it's more about what their interactions revealed about both their characters. With Cooper it said something about his personality how attracted he was to her and how he handled his relationship with her from the point she was in his bed forward. As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, the only time he shows aggression is when she's in danger, and whenever he stared at her or talked to her with care in his voice I would wonder what was going through his head. When they were separated they didn't seem like the same characters anymore, and that's what upsets me most given how much I loved those characters in season 1/early season 2.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

Hi all. Audrey Horne, just want to tell you how engrossing and special this thread is. You do an amazing job analysing the Audrey character. I'm in the middle of my re-watch for S3... currently on Billy Zane's character's intro episode (ugh). The breakdown of the Cooper/Audrey storyline is truly a shame. The show's biggest blunder. A lot of foreshadowing and character development gone to waste. Sigh.

Anyways, I have a couple Audrey-related queries.

1. Apologies if this was already addressed in the thread (I'm still working my way through it), but what's up with Audrey's abrupt transformation into budding businesswoman? Was this the writers' way of transitioning her out of the intended Cooper hookup and starting over from scratch? Suddenly she's running around the hotel in suits and with clipboards. I miss the detached dreamer from season one, as described so brilliantly earlier in this thread. Is this really the same girl who scared off all the investors in the pilot?

2. I've heard scuttlebutt on this forum that Sherilyn Fenn complained on social media about getting less screen time in S3 than she was expecting — is that true, and if it is, are there links? I've only seen her making references to favoritism toward Kyle.

Thanks!
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Thanks. For starters, I haven't gone back and read the posts of the episodes... I might cringe too much reading the typos and run on sentences and It's like seeing old photos of one's self with bad haircuts. Good lord, it's been almost ten years!

The transformation into business woman.... Although she's wearing a jacket when meeting Bobby, stealing the envelop to aid Cooper, learning about Windom Earle, etc... I think the abrupt change is the episode where she enters Ben's office to find him mad and then makes the phone call. Pure speculation and it will never be confirmed because of foggy memories through the passage of time, but the draft of that script corresponds to the fall of 1990 when I suspect a lot of the back stage politics were happening. Audrey's arc in the three episodes in the Civil War plot indicates to me that she was shoehorned in. We know from Frost that there was the planned Audrey,Cooper focus following the murder resolution... So perhaps Audrey was originally going to be more involved with the Dead Dog Farm plot (one could easily see from a writer's perspective that you would also have the Audrey more directly involved with bringing down Jean Renault.). But in terms of business suits, that may have come from Fenn herself... Who has stated she wanted to move away from the fetishized school girl and go towards more Katharine Hepburn 1940s aesthetic. Even if the Cooper, Audrey intended plot happened, she still might have been more like the Audrey we saw in the second half.

As with most shows once they become a success, usually the fan favorites get a little sanitized, more safe. Audrey is a clear example. Granted they were all murder suspects at the beginning and every scene had to straddle the line to the viewer as to whether or not X is the killer. But still, it's doubtful we would have seen Audrey analyze a cup of coffee like she does in the dinner, wrapped in antisocial quirks, or see someone like Shelly make fun of Leland at the funeral. These beautiful ethereal actresses were now playing beautiful ethereal characters, and I think that's where some of the magic is lost. Josie is supposed to be beautiful. Audrey is a misfit that doesn't fit in, Shelly is ordinary blue collar, Donna is straight laced Plain Jane... Once they started treating them as the viewer sees them, it loses some of its power in a show basking in the glory of the beauty of the everyday. Something like Audrey shashaying down a run away is in complete opposite of the essence of the character. Audrey doesn't give a hoot or know anything about fashion and runways, it just naturally happens for the viewer when she's walking into the diner or down a hallway. It's like the cherry stem trick is great for the character not because she's so good at sex (well maybe for some of the viewers it's only about that) but because she's so good at the chess game of life that she can magically and effortless produce a trick that she knows will work.

I don't want to go into the social media history from actors- everyone is human and most of us have said things on social media that we probably wish we hadn't. And also sometimes things get blown out of proportion... This board is certainly no different.
Without getting into spoilers, I think it's common knowledge that the new series was filmed differently than the first two seasons. And actors didn't know how this was being done or how their filmed scenes will be used spread out and made into individual episodes. So possibly frustration from working actors who have to make a living may not translate to what we think that indicates for the final product of the story. And with Lynch at the helm and Fenn's official listing in the cast list, I think it's a safe bet that you will see more of a return to original quirky Audrey.

I keep forgetting to add... I hope discussion of The Secret History of Twin Peaks is now allowed in here... If you haven't read it, skip....

What is interesting is the relationship between Ben and Audrey has been altered back to when it was fractured. Basically (in my opinion) undoing the sloppiness of the late second season, and reverting Audrey back to thwarting her father's nafarious plans to destroy nature. We also have reinforcement from the narrator that Audrey's plans went as badly as her intentions were good. And that she is also depicted as "the real tragic" person in the event of the explosion. Frost's book emphasizes that Audrey is one of the good guys, and compares her final situation with Ben to that of Leland losing Laura. But most importantly, her fate ends on a cliffhanger, Audrey is still in a coma. Annie is also in a coma. We have two women in a coma. Two women that have essentially the same storyline in the second half of the second season. Story wise if it were to proceed, it could be sloppy. But Peaks was always about twinning. What if instead of exposition from Audrey or anyone else about what happened to her after her coma, the new series starts out with her still in a coma for the past twenty five years? She, like Cooper, has been sort of frozen in time, stuck between the real and dream world. I wouldn't put it past Lunch to explore that.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Audrey Horne wrote: I don't want to go into the social media history from actors- everyone is human and most of us have said things on social media that we probably wish we hadn't. And also sometimes things get blown out of proportion... This board is certainly no different.
Agreed. I'd like to keep discussion regarding social media posts by actors and crew members that have no real relevance to the stories of Twin Peaks off the board. Those that feel the need to discuss these things, there are a hundred other places to do so. This thread especially is such an awesome piece of very thoughtful work and last thing I want is to have it sullied by discussions on social media tweets made by actors that are totally irrelevant to the thread.