Twin Peaks Theories

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

The Magician
Roadhouse Member

Twin Peaks Theories

Post by The Magician »

I thought it would be really fun for everyone to offer their own theories and ideas for some of the unanswered questions in Twin Peaks. I know I have given the series a lot of thought and interpretations, but I would love to hear others'!

I'm going to wait to share some of mine, so please feel free to go first. If this is too vague, then I can always create another thread with a more specific topic.
Sometimes things can happen just like this. *snap*

J'ai une âme solitaire.
The Magician
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Magician »

Does this not sound like fun to anyone?

I AM a newbie, so I don't know how often you guys have done stuff like this, but with a show like Twin Peaks, I figured theory discussing an obvious no-brainer funfest for the fanbase!

So... how 'bout them owls, huh?

J'ai une âme solitaire.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I look foward to this thread once i watch all the episodes again. It's been over ten years since i've seen one after all!
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

jerry i'm amazed you could pass up any of the dvd sets up until now, given what i percieve as your "super fan-dom". a true stalwart! have you been waiting because of the pilot?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I bought the Artisian S1 set when it came out but never watched it. I have all the episodes on Japanese laserdisc and i have the first 19 episodes recorded off ABC during the initial transmission. No, when dvd's came out in 1997 i told myself, right, i'm not going to watch another episode until a complete set is released. Little did i know it would take this long!

As for not buying S2, i knew then there was a complete series set in the works. Despite the poor cover and lack of commentairies, it looks like it was worth the wait.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

jerry, I understand. I'll buy it all, but I'll never part with my my 17 year old VHS. They have too much history for me. And the commericals and interviews at the time.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I need to back up all my off-air tapes to dvd one of these days. Some of oldest VHS tapes are growing mold on them...
kingsoprano718
Roadhouse Member

Post by kingsoprano718 »

Ok lets kick start this with my very own years planned theory of what it all means

I base this off the series, the movie and the shooting script for the movie.

Chet Desmond is the pawn in this game by the Black Lodge to get the attention of Cooper. They NEED Cooper to become the leader of the Black Lodge. At the same time, the White Lodge knows of the good in Cooper and realize that he may be the key to ending the evil once and for all.

There is more but it is telling me it is too long....
kingsoprano718
Roadhouse Member

Post by kingsoprano718 »

continued from above....

The Black Lodge thrives on the souls of it's victims, needing them to maintain it's existence. Once the host BOB inhabits finishes it's work, he returns to allow the Lodge to feed from him. Parasite and Host references from the show may back this up.

Gerard and the Little Man may be one person. One and the same. When the evil Gerard and BOB committed became too much for him he took the arm off. The LMFAP refers to himself as the Arm. This appears to be in reference to Laura, but could also be the warning sign of the White Lodge to it's victims that trouble lies ahead. This is evidenced by the shaking hands in the final few episodes of the series as well..

The ring is obviously the source of evil. Ring and circles are very prominent in the series and could point to completing the circle. the circle being father son and spirit from religious beliefs. This could point to Cooper being DESTINED to enter and stay in the Lodge.

Once Cooper is in the Lodge, he seems to time travel to different times of people lives, notably when he sees Laura taking the ring and after Laura's death. One and the same. He is now a part of the Lodge and will be forever, as evidenced by Leland who is not in his grey hair form, but normal form from the first season/movie.

Blue Rose is probably the most obvious, it has to involve a case with supernatural elements.

Electricity, the electric pole, the travelling trailer home all point to the Black Lodge being able to manipulate electricity in some way to appear. Evidence in Jeffries disappearance, the white lights whenever BOB appears and Major Briggs disappeared as well. It may be their way of becoming "human" and entering our world.

"Hows Annie" i feel would become very significant in the same way "That gum you like is going to come back in style". It probably would have been the defining moment of Cooper being revealed as BOB.

I have so much more. Again I ask an administrator if there is a way to post fan fic on Peaks, because have 145 page first draft I wrote to tie up the show and would love to go back and re-edit and post it somewhere for you guys to read.

It also bears mentioning that the second Peaks film would have been a Windom Earle backstory and the third the actual sequel to the show. I am sure Lynch had so much more planned because I believe everything he does has a purpose story wise. (That gum you like, dancing midget/Leland, Earle and coopers final test in the Lodge being referenced all the way back in the 2nd episode of the second season) Lynch had to know where these things were to go and it is a shame there were two more movies left for all of us to dissect and analyze. Oh what could have been....
siriusmystery

Post by siriusmystery »

Nice theory. It has many things the way I thouht them too. But, speaking for myself, I can't come up with just one theory because there is so many alternate explanations living their own lives inside my mind.
kingsoprano718 wrote: Gerard and the Little Man may be one person. One and the same. When the evil Gerard and BOB committed became too much for him he took the arm off.
Seeing FWWM gave me the strong feeling that the Little Man is in fact Mike, the spirit possessing Phillip Gerard. But I think Mike is lying about the whole "seeing the face of God" stuff and it was Gerard who cut the arm and started injecting antipsychosis drugs in order to get rid of Mike.
The Magician
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Magician »

kingsoprano718 wrote:I have so much more. Again I ask an administrator if there is a way to post fan fic on Peaks, because have 145 page first draft I wrote to tie up the show and would love to go back and re-edit and post it somewhere for you guys to read.
Yeah! I was wondering that myself! I have been trying to find good Peaks fan fic. I've been thinking about making some myself. I would love to read yours!

J'ai une âme solitaire.