"Elga, Baby! Damn! No, I found something!"

Discussion of Twin Peaks TV Series, Fire Walk With Me, and Books

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

Forum rules
Welcome to the forum. We know our members are passionate about their love for all things Twin Peaks. You wouldn't be here if that wasn't the case. Despite having differing viewpoints it is a policy that we all treat each other with mutual respect.

Posting abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated, or any material that may violate any laws be it of your country or the country where this forum is hosted will get you permanently banned.

Posting of spoilers are allowed as long as you indicate (Spoilers) in the topic name and use the Spoiler Tag.
Jerry Horne

"Elga, Baby! Damn! No, I found something!"

Postby Jerry Horne » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:34 pm

Someone asked me recently about the Elga line from FWWM. Was this a caption mistake from day one? Any thories?
silenttwn

Postby silenttwn » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:34 pm

That's what it sounds like. I'm pretty sure it is that. As for it's meaning or purpose... who knows?
Jerry Horne

Postby Jerry Horne » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:09 pm

That's what captions read on the dvd. Curious.
kingsoprano718

Postby kingsoprano718 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:00 pm

I believe in the shooting script there is a scene where Jeffries is taken from a hotel room in Mexico where he is with a woman in bed.

Not sure if here name is Elga, but that COULD be the connection, a deleted scene. The original Jeffries sequence lasts 10 minutes in the shooting script and involved a lot more Lodge scenes that were cut or never filmed
Jerry Horne

Postby Jerry Horne » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:17 pm

It was a hotel room in Buenos Aires. This subject has come up again since i got an email from a Spainish Lynch forum member at:

http://twinpeaks06.crearforo.com

(Everybody check out the amazing graphics on that forum - very nice!)

"In this forum, we have a section we call "Theories and debates", where we have some threads that are entitled as "Impossible theories" and it's a place where you can let your imagination fly as far as you want just to feel free to write about any crazy interpretation of this universe. For example, some time ago, I wrote a theory that claimed EVERYTHING that happens in the entire tv series and the film are only dreams of Cooper and that, in real life, Dale is a murderer. In this topic, I gave a list of details that we see throughout the series that could help to support this surreal interpretation, but, deep down, this kind of crazy theories are not written to be taken seriously, but to make people see that maybe fans often overlook the details Lynch gives to the viewers and that we frequently make bigger and bigger some things that that don't worth so.
I'm telling you all this just because now I'm preparing another "impossible theory" about another topic and there's one point in which I would need your help. Just to be concrete: I'm analizing some parts of the dialogue that agent Phillip Jeffries says in his scene in FWWM when he's talking about the meeting he saw above the convenience store. Some lines are very strange, you know, but there's one specific sentence I'm very interested in. In the film, it is said exactly in the moment we see Pierre Tremond holding a white mask that covers his face. When he takes it off only for a second we can hear Phllip Jeffries shouting something it's not very clear. Presumably he says something like:

- No, no! I found something! And then.... there they were...

That's (by the way) what can also be read in the original script of FWWM that can be found in some sites devoted to TP. But when I listen to that sentence it doesn't seem to me that the words are accurate. In the other hand, maybe you are aware that there's a transcription of the film some anonymous fan did long time ago in twinpeaks.org where you can read what his or her interpretation of that sentence is. If you click the link (http://www.twinpeaks.org/archives/refer ... d_captions) you'll see it's written the following:

- Elga, baby, damn, no! I found something! And then.... there they were...
silenttwn

Postby silenttwn » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:05 pm

He definitely says Elga, baby, damn no. "I found something" and then "there they were" are obviously about the black lodge and the denizens. As for "Elga," I think that's just Lynch and his stylings. I wouldn't look too far into it.
kingsoprano718

Postby kingsoprano718 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:14 pm

That site is quite delicious

i wish i knew spanish now, looks like a great place to hang out at.
OK,Bob

Re: "Elga, Baby! Damn! No, I found something!"

Postby OK,Bob » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:08 pm

The "Complete Mystery" subtitles in fact read, "Hell, God, baby, damn, no..."
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
Aqua

Postby Aqua » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:40 pm

In case anyone reading this knows spanish and/or has read the site above - it would be so interesting to hear of more alternative theories mentioned. Maybe a short list (one sentence for each) - and then it can be worked backwards on one's own. Elga explanation - or explanations rather - will also come through then maybe
Jasper

Postby Jasper » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:06 pm

OK,Bob wrote:The "Complete Mystery" subtitles in fact read, "Hell, God, baby, damn, no..."

That's what it always sounded like to me. But I could never be completely sure.

My take is that this may be a repeat of an earlier exclamation made by Jeffries —  the result of a psychically shattering event that involves finding the ring at Judy's in Seattle.
RainingPostToasties

Postby RainingPostToasties » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:39 am

I never heard anything but "Hell, God," and I like that one since it requires less explanation than Elga; being a string of five simple interjections and all. As for the subtitles reading "Elga," I consider it the same kind of oopsie-doodle as chants/chance in the Fire Walk with Me poem, which also changed the meaning in non-English versions.

Always fun to see other people's interpretations, though!

By the way, this is my first post, so hello, everyone :>
LostInTheMovies

Postby LostInTheMovies » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:24 pm

RainingPostToasties wrote:As for the subtitles reading "Elga," I consider it the same kind of oopsie-doodle as chants/chance in the Fire Walk with Me poem, which also changed the meaning in non-English versions.

This gives me hope that when Sarah says "I'm in the Black Lodge with Dale Cooper" it isn't ACTUALLY Windom speaking as I think the subtitle claims (can't remember if I saw it myself or took someone's word for it; I'll have to check back). I never liked that idea even though the (different) voice during the hallway shot certainly sounds like Windom's "Lodge"-tone.
Rami Airola

Postby Rami Airola » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:24 pm

I don't believe a second he says "Elga", I think it's all about the translator hearing it wrong. Just like with "Are you the man?" in Missing Pieces (which I'd love that to be, though).

I remember some Finnish release of FWWM had it translated as "Ei himmennystä" which means something like "No fading", and if I really try hard to listen it like that, then that "God, baby, damn" part can be heard as if he's saying something about "no fading", but when I read all the different interpretations "Elga..", "Hell, God.." and "Hell, no fading.." the "Hell, God..." version sounds clearly the winner to me. Also, it's the only one that makes any sense at all. Not as a sentence, but as something someone in that condition ans situation could say.

I'm not sure if it was a version aired on TV or the VHS release or what.
Harry S. Truman

Re:

Postby Harry S. Truman » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:49 pm

silenttwn wrote:He definitely says Elga, baby, damn no. "I found something" and then "there they were" are obviously about the black lodge and the denizens. As for "Elga," I think that's just Lynch and his stylings. I wouldn't look too far into it.

This was said for Jeffries:

JEFFRIES (shouting): NO. NO. I found something ... in Seattle at Judy's ... And then, there they were ...
Harry S. Truman

Re:

Postby Harry S. Truman » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:52 pm

Jerry Horne wrote:It was a hotel room in Buenos Aires. This subject has come up again since i got an email from a Spainish Lynch forum member at:

http://twinpeaks06.crearforo.com

(Everybody check out the amazing graphics on that forum - very nice!)

"In this forum, we have a section we call "Theories and debates", where we have some threads that are entitled as "Impossible theories" and it's a place where you can let your imagination fly as far as you want just to feel free to write about any crazy interpretation of this universe. For example, some time ago, I wrote a theory that claimed EVERYTHING that happens in the entire tv series and the film are only dreams of Cooper and that, in real life, Dale is a murderer. In this topic, I gave a list of details that we see throughout the series that could help to support this surreal interpretation, but, deep down, this kind of crazy theories are not written to be taken seriously, but to make people see that maybe fans often overlook the details Lynch gives to the viewers and that we frequently make bigger and bigger some things that that don't worth so.
I'm telling you all this just because now I'm preparing another "impossible theory" about another topic and there's one point in which I would need your help. Just to be concrete: I'm analizing some parts of the dialogue that agent Phillip Jeffries says in his scene in FWWM when he's talking about the meeting he saw above the convenience store. Some lines are very strange, you know, but there's one specific sentence I'm very interested in. In the film, it is said exactly in the moment we see Pierre Tremond holding a white mask that covers his face. When he takes it off only for a second we can hear Phllip Jeffries shouting something it's not very clear. Presumably he says something like:

- No, no! I found something! And then.... there they were...

That's (by the way) what can also be read in the original script of FWWM that can be found in some sites devoted to TP. But when I listen to that sentence it doesn't seem to me that the words are accurate. In the other hand, maybe you are aware that there's a transcription of the film some anonymous fan did long time ago in twinpeaks.org where you can read what his or her interpretation of that sentence is. If you click the link (http://www.twinpeaks.org/archives/refer ... d_captions) you'll see it's written the following:

- Elga, baby, damn, no! I found something! And then.... there they were...

I Am Spanish and I am on these fórum. All is correct!! Other Thing is what was said by the original script.

Return to “Twin Peaks Movie, TV, Books”