Boxset Now Available in NYC! (A Few Brief Comments)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

underthefan
Great Northern Member

Boxset Now Available in NYC! (A Few Brief Comments)

Post by underthefan »

For all TP fans in New York, a small DVD store at the corner of 46th & 8th Ave has the boxset available for sale! I just got mine yesterday, and here are a few brief comments from me. If you want to be surprised, read no further:

When it comes to special features, the documentary "Secrets From Another Place" is excellent. Very well done, with a lot of interesting information, different viewpoints and thoughts. It's not all congratulatory patting on the back, but a real examination of the TP phenomenon. Unfortunately, there is not much behind-the-scenes footage (except in making of the pilot), but I believe they did the best they could with the available material.

In terms of running time, "Northwest Passage: Creating The Pilot," "Freshly Squeezed: Creating Season 1" and "Into The Night: Creating Season 2" are 30 minutes each. "Where We're From: Creating The Music" is 15 minutes long (not 30, as previously reported). My favorite special feature is "A Slice of Lynch" (30 minutes long); it is very well directed and produced, and even though it doesn't offer a whole lot of new information for longtime TP fans, it is still a fascinating watch. "Return To Twin Peaks" (20 mins) and Interactive Map (8 Pods, about a minute each) are actually better and more interesting than I expected. I just visited WA state this summer and had an experience of a lifetime, so these are really nice pieces that remind me of my time in WA.

Where the DVD really drops the ball is with the deleted scenes. There are four of them (all of them seem to be from the first season), with a total running time of some 6 minutes. The first is one with Jerry Horne and that Icelandic blonde girl, the second one with Cooper questioning Dr. Jacoby with Johnny Horne in the background, the third one with Lucy and Andy in the diner in which she mentions the raccoons, and finally one with the Hornes and Dr. Jacoby, in which they are trying to deal with Johnny's illness. These clips are not cleaned-up, and what's more they really offer nothing particularly interesting for the fans of the show. With all the scenes that were never released, I felt very disappointed with this selection and presentation.

The pilot does look great, and so does the whole box. I know it's gold, but it actually looks rather classy. All in all, it was worth the wait and TP finally got the treatment it deserved. I just now wish to see the deleted scenes from FWWM. That would make up for the lack of deleted scenes on this boxset. :)
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Hmmm, that's not too far from me. How much was it?
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Thanks for that little review! I'm not surprised that the deleted scenes aren't all that, but that's not the main draw for me anyway. Give me a good-looking pilot and a decent documentary and I'm sold.

Did you get any postcards?
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
Shipslice99

Post by Shipslice99 »

I just got my Gold Box early too, and I pretty much agree with everything underthefan said.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

What a lousy selection of deleted scenes. i know because i own them all. I know what they had to choose from and it's baffling some of the scenes they left out. Oh, well...
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Hey, Jerry -guess what I have in my grubby little hands.

Wow -ran out from work, hoped on a subway and found it. Of course had to go downstairs to some narfarious little adult section to get it (hey, I had no idea Gang Bang pt 86 was already out)

haven't opened it yet.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Sweet! List what postcards you get in the postcards section. Open it slowly like charlie in Willy Wonka!
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

I hope the documentaries don't dwell on the negatives too much. I'd much rather see a celebration of the good points. I certainly don't want a fluff piece, but a bunch of people complaining about the show would kinda suck. I've heard Kimmy is on there saying "Season 2 pretty much sucked". I went to the fest a while back and she was one of the guests, and she had the worst killjoy attitude I've ever seen!! A serious bummer. Everything out of mouth about the show was negative. "FWWM sucked, season 2 sucked, the writers sucked, the directors other than Lynch sucked", etc, etc. I just don't get why someone who seems to have that many problems with the show would even go to a FAN event like that.

Anyway, I know people have their criticisms about certain aspects of the show, but frankly there's been so much snide cynicism directed at the show over the years, by critics, people involved, and even fans, that I hope the box set documentaries are a little more upbeat and celebratory.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I hope they do address what happens. The fall of Twin Peaks is just as important as its rise, and should be looked at and analyzed. I hate DVD sets that just gloss over everything and it's the best thing ever.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

I'm just glad there was no "fall of TP" for me. I loved it from beginning to end, a that's really all that's important in the end I guess. There's no way I'd consider myself the fan I am today if I had half as many problems with the show as many seem to. And that's not a complaint, it's just a fact.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

sigh -it doesn't matter if you think it's great or not, or if I think it's great or not. It's not about that -talking about how the show had a huge impact on the culture and then a massive, well documented decline -that is just as every bit as important as its rise. Countless succesful shows have been compared to Twin Peaks (Lost, Sopranos, etc) and in most of the articles there is talk about how not to fall into the Twin Peaks trap. I would want an indepth comprehensive guide to the ins and outs of the series, including thoughts on why the actors/creators thought there was a backlash. There can still be ultimate celebrating.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

They definitely present both sides of the coin - where the show succeeded and where it failed. And I found myself agreeing with many of the comments, actually. Yes, Kimmy has a very negative attitude, which is sad, but I guess that is her prerogative. If you ask me, I think the Second Season had both the best and the worst moments of the series. My point was that I was happy to see a critical analysis of the show, and not just a bunch of congratulatory back-taps, like on majority of DVDs.

And, oh by the way, the greeting cards are really nothing spectacular. I wouldn't worry too much about them all.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Oh, and underthefan, thanks SOOOO much for the tip -I ran right out from work on an "errand" and got this. -and my cd came today too, so I have way too much Peaks on my plate.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Audrey Horne wrote:sigh -it doesn't matter if you think it's great or not, or if I think it's great or not. It's not about that -talking about how the show had a huge impact on the culture and then a massive, well documented decline -that is just as every bit as important as its rise. Countless succesful shows have been compared to Twin Peaks (Lost, Sopranos, etc) and in most of the articles there is talk about how not to fall into the Twin Peaks trap. I would want an indepth comprehensive guide to the ins and outs of the series, including thoughts on why the actors/creators thought there was a backlash. There can still be ultimate celebrating.
I certainly agree with what you are saying Audrey. The show went from media sensation to being almost universally loathed in a pretty short amount of time. And its certainly valid to explore why people think that happened- because you're right, that IS its history, after all. My hope though, is that the actors & creators don't just look at Peaks as a "failure".

As a fan, I've just always been surprised at how MUCH negativity there has been towards TP- even from people who were part of it. A lot of it seems unjust- is FWWM REALLY the worst movie ever? Many critics sure said it was. I guess I just go back to the memories of the fest, and how disheartening it was hearing Kimmy shoot down almost everything with negatives. Personally I think its kind of sad.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Okay, for the record, and I've barely gotten through anything yet -this set DOES NOT DISAPPOINT. A lot of care has gone into it -the pilot transfer is gorgeous.

I watch the commercials they included and it sure brought back a lot of memories.

I'm on the documentaries, and they are a Twin Peaks fan's dream come true.

The set is worth the wait -but I would still hold on to the beautiful first season release with all the Donna, Cooper, Audrey, Truman fold out and all the great commentaries.