Boxset Now Available in NYC! (A Few Brief Comments)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

The Magician
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Magician »

Ross wrote:I'm just glad there was no "fall of TP" for me. I loved it from beginning to end, a that's really all that's important in the end I guess. There's no way I'd consider myself the fan I am today if I had half as many problems with the show as many seem to. And that's not a complaint, it's just a fact.
Very well said, Ross. I agree completely.

The FACT is that many people felt the show went downhill. The OPINION is whether it actually did go downhill.

I am getting somewhat frustrated by how much negative criticism Twin Peaks gets, even from the people on this forum which is devoted to the show! Some people on here I've noticed making more posts about criticisms and aspects they wished had happened or they wish they had changed, then they send time praising the show! I don't get it...

No matter what episodes people think are the worst (the second half, for example), it is still one of the greatest, most timeless and influential shows ever made, and that's what I want to hear about! I mean, if there are a few weaker episodes, that's still nothing compared to a show like The Simpsons that has been on over 10 seasons past it's prime. And most television is rich with examples like that.

Oh, and I'm glad you picked Annie as your avatar, Ross! She doesn't get the respect she deserves. She stole my heart as much as she stole Coop's.
Sometimes things can happen just like this. *snap*

J'ai une âme solitaire.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Re: the Kimmy Robertson remarks: I guess we weren't there, working on the show, though! I've had jobs before that I started out enthused by, which turned out dreadfully later on. I've come away from one such job with several co-workers as good friends but, right now, have little good left to say about my former employers or the job. Sometimes, also, being asked to talk about these things can, almost unexpectedly, bring out a level of bile you might not realise was there.

I haven't come across as much negativity about Peaks in more recent years, in part because it hasn't been as widely available on DVD as other shows. Given the number of shows that have drawn inspiration from TP already out there on DVD, TP might not seem as wildly different now to a new generation who are familiar with shows such as Northern Exposure, Lost, The X Files, American Gothic, Eerie, Indiana, Carnivale and so on! Many of us remember TP when it was like a nuke set off in the TV business! These days, many people have never seen it and some simply have never heard of it!

Hopefully the new HD masters can be put to use on some HD networks and draw a new generation in. And hopefully the DVDs will draw in a few new people along with us fans.

(PS I love all of Twin Peaks. Its supposed 'failings' are among the many things I love in the show!)
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

geesh, magician, no one is putting it down.

I'm saying I hope they include analyzing the thoughts and feelings about the noted decline -whether or not they still loved it. It is a fact that the show went from critical darling and the most talked about show to a ratings drop, struggling, taken off the air and moved around. So I would like a dvd that is comprehensive and talking and discussing it.

And I have nothing against Heather Graham -I've even met her before -but for most of us at the time, it was like if they took Heather Graham or Sherilyn Fenn out now for you, replaced both of them with Brittney Spears and had Cooper say, "I'm madly in love with this woman." It was like a dagger into the hearts of most fans who had been roughly following the show for a year.

And I don't think a lot of the board just slams the faults of the second season, they analyze it and talk about it. Is there seriously nothing you find jarring about it compared to the carefully plotted and crafted first season?
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
The Magician
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Magician »

Audrey Horne wrote:And I don't think a lot of the board just slams the faults of the second season, they analyze it and talk about it. Is there seriously nothing you find jarring about it compared to the carefully plotted and crafted first season?
No. Haha.

I think, if anything, the second season is superior. It really goes places I never thought the series would go, based on the first season.

When I watched the pilot I remember thinking how great it was. But it wasn't until a certain scene in episode 9 where I realized I was watching something truly special. It was the scene where Major Briggs shows Cooper the messages from the woods saying "the owls are not what they seem".

And then I remember it was at the end of a later episode when Leo regains consciousness and stumbles into Windom Earle that I realized Twin Peaks was my favorite television series ever made.

As far as carefully plotted and crafted goes, that's what I watch Lost for. I think THE THING that makes Twin Peaks so special was the "making it up as they go" technique they used. It made the series seem so spontaneous, so alive.

And I hope I'm not coming across as naive or even crude by my love of the later episodes. I really don't like most television, but Twin Peaks just holds something so special for me. And if I actively disliked half of it, this would not be the case. So, while I respect everyone else's opinions on the show, I will defend the latter half until the day I die. Heh. :P

J'ai une âme solitaire.
The Magician
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Magician »

Oh! So, question for anyone who already has the DVD set. What is the packaging like? Is it a fold out piece, or are there multiple skinny clamshells? I'm dying to know!

And what are the menus like???

J'ai une âme solitaire.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

magician, I'm still only on the extras disc -and the documentaries -you really aren't going to like the second season one -it's everything I've talked about.

AND YES -A big part they devote to the Audrey/Cooper problem -after 16 years of thinking I was crazy -they all felt the same except Kyle. (which makes no sense in regards to how he shot his earlier scenes with Audrey)

The set itself is a pullout from the jacket into a book-like product. There's an inner sleeve on the front side with the pullout for the postcards that comes in an envelope -"Greetings from Twin Peaks" (it has the road and sign post on it. The disc are each on their own "page." The inner front and back are gold. There is no purple on the Twin Peaks logo on the cover, but the whole thing has a shine to it. Also included is a David Lynch leaflet in black promoting espresso.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

the three documentaries are fantastic -especially the one devoted to the pilot -I believe it is the only one that shows them shooting on the set. -we get to see snippets of Joan Chen, Sheriyln and Piper shooting their scenes -and it's exhilerating.

They hit almost all the points of the show (addressing thoroughly the highs and lows) and don't short change it. No mention is made of Billy Zane or Heather Graham though. The surprise here is Joan Chen speaks a lot -it's good to see her. Ray Wise and Sheryl Lee have new interviews as well. More footage of Sherilyn speaking her mind, Kyle not expanding on things, Kimmi Robertson recalling stories and not afriad to say something negative. No Otkean or Boyle. No Ashbrook or Marshall.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Hey Audrey, no problem! I'm so happy to have made your day! By the way, do they have any pics from FWWM on the CD booklet? If not, what do they have?

And let me just say this, TP is by far the best piece of television I have ever seen in my life. Even at its worst, it is still far better than majority of TV shows. I saw it first when I was 10, it captured my imagination like nothing else, it inspired me to choose filmmaking as a career, and since then I have never turned my back on the world of TP.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Um, I don't think I'm allowed to say what pictures are in the cd booklet for spoilers (at least, dugpa didn't want to before) -but there are 22 pictures total -one for each page. And some have been seen before, but some have not -dugpa was right -there is an incredible shot of Audrey from the pilot that falls in the center of the booklet that definitely takes the cake- er, the pie in this case. And I think I can say, no there aren't any pictures from FWWM, just the series.

And while doing multitasking between the dvd and the cd, I can tell you the cd is outstanding. Every fan should have it.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Thanks Audrey and underthefan for all the preview info. I have a bunch of questions but will ask just a few.

How are the phot galleries and did they have any real rare photos not from Richard's collection in the gallery?

Any new items that weren't listed on the press release?

Scale of 1 - 10 how would you rate the set so far?

Paramount said they would send me a copy but I guess they haven't sent any review copies out. I already had mine pre-ordered on Amazon but it would have been nice to get he set in advance as I am working on a little interview.

In any case, any and all details are greatly appreciated!

-B
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Great! Thanks, Audrey!
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

dugpa, the stills are divided into Beymer's and location shots.

I'm not familiar with Beymer's shots except for the ones that have been in issues of Wrapped in Plastic -I suspect the TP fanatics have seen them all before.

The location still have tons of promos, episode shots, and behind the scenes shots. It's great.

Lynch's Slice of Pie is fascinating to watch -I won't reveal to much so viewers can experience it themselves. -It's like saying I got to see an episode and then blab the whole thing.

*and dugpa, you were right in every aspect to the cd.

*my complaint is a lack of more Sherilyn -her stuff is all taken from the second season dvd release with some additional footage. But I still get the feeling she has distanced herself from the project and is unhappy with how it ended.

*Lynch is a little cutie, I wanted to just pinch his little cheeks.

Again, no fan is going to be disappointed. BUT I'm not going to ever get rid of my first season dvds. (hell, I'm still not going to get rid of my original videotapes -with my little cut out photos pasted onto the balck boxes from when I was a teenager)
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Thanks, Audrey! If Amazon keeps postponing getting our stuff to us, we could put you in business shipping the sets to all of us!! I'm sooooooo jealous!
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

I know I'm in the minority, but I was never a fan of the Cooper/Audrey romance. For me, Kyle was right, and it would have hurt Cooper's character. The idea of Cooper romancing a high-school girl always just seemed... well, creepy. But hey, that's just my take.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

OH MY GOD!!!

I'll spill this deleted scene -

AUDREY IS IN THE SCENE with Dr. Jacoby, Johnny, and Slyvia Horne.

I never knew this -I thought she was spying through her peephole.
Instead Audrey listens outside the door, Johnny is upset and the mother is yelling and pulling him. Audrey runs inside to break it up, "STOP IT, you're hurting him." Slyvia pushes Audrey away and looks at her and says, "you little bitch! you're the reason Johnny's like this -you pushed him down the stairs...." Audrey runs out of the room in shock and crying, while Dr. Jacoby tells Sylvia the truth.

I had no idea that the scene was shot like this at all. Always thought Audrey was in her hiding spot eavesdropping. It's by far the best of the deleted scenes, and a real treat!