Judy

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Diane
RR Diner Member

Judy

Post by Diane »

Has anyone heard the monkey saying "Judy" at the end of FWWM? I never heard it until the most recent time I watched it, nor was I aware it was there.

Thoughts on Judy? Is the monkey Judy? Maybe Agent Jeffries' monkey? Or is Judy a woman he knows?
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Isn't the strongest theory is that Judy is Josie's sister and lives in South America?
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

I always just figured it was a Judy Garland reference, since Lynch is such a huge Wizard of Oz fanatic. Just like how Major Briggs references her at one point while he's drugged up in Season 2, and Jeffries rants on about how "we're not gonna talk about Judy; we're gonna leave her out of it!" in FWWM. It's all so random, I love it.
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
Diane
RR Diner Member

Post by Diane »

Audrey Horne wrote:Isn't the strongest theory is that Judy is Josie's sister and lives in South America?
Where did this theory come from? I don't recall anything pointing to it in the series.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

certainly Judy is a reference to Judy Garland -just like Laura, Madeline, Fergueson, Gordon Cole, Lydecker, Waldo, etc are all throw backs to great films.

I don't know too much about Judy because I haven't done any real research on FWWM -I believe there is a lot of David Bowie's character that was either cut or a backstory was talked about. I know in one of the interviews it is talked about Josie having a sister named Judy -possibly for another film or initially planned for the third season.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Teopeaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Teopeaks »

Here is an excerpt from the FWWM script where Judy is mentioned:

JEFFRIES
I'm not going to talk about Judy. Keep
Judy out of this.

COOPER
But...

Cole calms Cooper.

COLE
STAND FAST, COOP.

JEFFRIES
(pointing at Cooper)
Who do you think that is there?

ALBERT
(trying to calm Jeffries)
Suffered some bumps on the old noggin',
eh, Phil?

COLE
WHAT THE HELL DID HE SAY?
(pointing at Cooper)
THAT'S SPECIAL AGENT DALE COOPER.
(focusing on Jeffries)
ARE YOU OKAY, JEFFRIES? WHERE THE
HELL HAVE YOU BEEN?

JEFFRIES
I want to tell you everything, but I don't
have a lot to go on. But I'll tell you one
thing: Judy is positive about this.

ALBERT
How interesting. I thought we were
going to keep Judy out of this.

Jeffries stumbles to a chair.

JEFFRIES
Listen to me carefully. I saw one of
their meetings. It was above a
convenience store.

ALBERT
Who's meeting? Where have you been?

COLE
FOR GOD SAKES, JEFFRIES, YOU'VE BEEN
GONE FOR DAMN NEAR TWO YEARS.

JEFFRIES
It was a dream.
(takes Albert by the arm)
We live inside a dream.

ALBERT
And it's raining Post Toasties.

JEFFRIES
(shouting)
NO, NO. I found something... in Seattle
at Judy's... And then, there they were...

Albert is about to say something, but is stopped by Cole's gentle
pressure on his arm.

JEFFRIES
They sat quietly for hours.
Douglas_Fir

Post by Douglas_Fir »

I have had many a sleepless nigh over Judy and I fear I will have many more to come!
The Magician
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Magician »

According to Robert Engels in Wrapped in Plastic # 75:

"There was a thing that was going to happen with Josie and Windom and Judy. In our original planning of the prequel there is a whole other section about all this."

If only...
Sometimes things can happen just like this. *snap*

J'ai une âme solitaire.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Personally, I think Judy runs the convenience store, and thus might know a thing or two about the lodge. I also think the scene with Bob, the Little Man, the woodsmen and the others takes place above the convenience store where Mike and Bob lived.

Judy being Josie's sister comes from an interview with Robert Engels, I believe. There is nothing to support that in the film, but there's a distinct possibility that the planned Desmond/Jeffries film(s) might have shed some light on it. I think Judy was meant to be the inexplicable cliffhanger that was written to make us watch the next TP movie.
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
Teopeaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Teopeaks »

I never realised that, but this Judy thing probably shows that David Lynch hoped FWWM could lead to a 3rd season of Twin Peaks.
Diane
RR Diner Member

Post by Diane »

Teopeaks wrote:I never realised that, but this Judy thing probably shows that David Lynch hoped FWWM could lead to a 3rd season of Twin Peaks.
Either that or another movie...

JEFFRIES
(pointing at Cooper)
Who do you think that is there?

He must think it's the doppleganger Dale? It would have been nice to see David Bowie on TV in Season 3.
Teopeaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Teopeaks »

It would have been really nice indeed. I like when he takes such artists and cast them. Philip Jeffries is one of my favourite characters in Twin Peaks. I also like Marilyn Manson cameo in Lost Highway. He was supposed to be a regular in Mulholland Drive, had it been a TV show.
Driftwood
RR Diner Member

Post by Driftwood »

Judy was the woman Jefferies was investigating when he disappeared off to lodge land, just like Desmond & Teresa and Cooper & Laura. Like the little man from another place says in the FWWM script: "events proceed cyclically." That's how it seems in the script anyway, but since in the actual movie it seems the whole Desmond sequence is just a dream of Cooper's, I don't know where Jefferies fits in. And what the monkey has to do with anything, I've never had the first clue.
nemo
RR Diner Member

Re: Judy

Post by nemo »

I'm quite new to the forum and I don't know, if it was discussed or not, but I just want to point out the following:
recently I read the article about the changing concept of Judy(via the link dugpa gave) and I think, that the film presents the image of the dead Judy as victim.
And I think, there is a possible evidence for it:
MIKE says: ,,The look on her face, when it was opened." - at the end of the film we see the monkey and then the opened Laura's face. Thus MIKE tells us about the future events. It would correspond to the phrase ,,That thread will be torn, Mr. Palmer".
Maybe this is the fact, that everybody knows...But anyway I wanted to notice it once more, because I didn't manage to notice it very quickly by myself.
In the script MIKE said then ,,There was closeness". But as far as I remember, in the film he said instead of ,,closeness" ,,stillness"(Am I right? I just don't want to rewatch anything from TWIN PEAKS due to some reasons) It would also fit into the image of a dead victim.
Ross
Global Moderator

Re: Judy

Post by Ross »

The plan at the time WAS that FWWM was to be the first of a series of TP movies. The second one was to tentatively be about Jefferies. Most probably we would have learned who Judy was at some point.

As it stands now, with only FWWM to go by, one might guess that Judy was Jerreries' "Laura". The girl he was investigating that led him to the lodges and to his eventual fate. A path perhaps similar to Cooper's.

Another theory- and one that I had thought when I first saw the movie, was that Judy was perhaps a other-worldly figure (like the giant, etc.) that might lead to helping Cooper escape the lodge down the road. The fact that the monkey says "Judy" hints that she may be an other-worldly being.

And then there is the fact that Bob Engels did in fact say that Judy (may have been?) Josie's sister. Whether that would have been the case... who knows?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/