Your thoughts on the Twin Peaks Gold Box dvd set

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

musicaddict wrote:Actually personally I no longer feel there was a second season slump. Having watched the second season again I remembered it being boring but for some reason I have found it quite enjoyable. Would have preferred not to have had Maddy killed - I think there was storyline potential lost there.
I agree about the 2nd season :)

And as much as I loved, and missed Maddy, I think she HAD to be killed, just like Laura. Seems inevitable.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I never really viewed Maddy as a character, but instead as a really fun plot device to make us speculate if the show was pulling a Vertigo and she is really Laura. The fun thing about Maddy was when she slowly started telling the audience that she's NOT Laura -"I'm NOTHING like her," while ironically other characters are facing that they are more like Laura then they realize (Audrey, Donna) -so when Maddy finally has a real voice in her scene with James by the lake, it's all the more tragic when she is killed. But yes, the character had to die -and if Sherly Lee came back again, she'd also be killed off.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Audrey Horne wrote:But yes, the character had to die -and if Sherly Lee came back again, she'd also be killed off.
Agreed Audrey.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

by her fifth appearance, after being a blond, a brunette, a red head, and a giant afro -her character would just be introduced walking though a door in a bald cap, a bucket would fall on her head and that would be it.

Dr. Hayward: Oh good, lord -Linda!
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Someone please photoshop a giant afro on Sheryl Lee's head! (I'm at work so I can't do it.)
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

thanks to wikipedia i finally discovered warren frost is mark's father! i never would have thought.

it would have been so cool to see the redheaded sheryl lee come back in the third season. i just wonder if it would have been dopple coop that kills her..
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

And Trudy is Robert Engels wife.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Rick Giolito who played 'Montana' in Twin Peaks' favorite soap 'Invitation To Love' is Warren Frost's son-in-law. Rick is married to Lindsay Frost, who is Warren Frost's daughter. Warren Frost played Dr. William Hayward. Warren Frost's son, Mark Frost, was co-producer of the show and also played a small part as a reporter. Mark Frost's brother, Scott Frost, had a cameo on the show as a vagrant and also wrote 'The Autobiography of FBI Agent Dale Cooper'

A clear case of nepotism?
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

and surely Kevin Bacon must be involved here also.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Jerry Horne wrote:Rick Giolito who played 'Montana' in Twin Peaks' favorite soap 'Invitation To Love' is Warren Frost's son-in-law. Rick is married to Lindsay Frost, who is Warren Frost's daughter. Warren Frost played Dr. William Hayward. Warren Frost's son, Mark Frost, was co-producer of the show and also played a small part as a reporter. Mark Frost's brother, Scott Frost, had a cameo on the show as a vagrant and also wrote 'The Autobiography of FBI Agent Dale Cooper'

A clear case of nepotism?
More nepotism: Of course Lynch's daughter wrote Laura's Diary, and his son played Tremond's grandson. (I wonder what he looks like now?). And the actor who played Earle's victim is Craig MacLachlan- I'm assuming this is Kyle's brother?

Also Mary Jo Deschanel (Eileen Hayward)'s husband is Caleb Deschanel who directed a few (3 I believe) episodes.

Eric DaRe (Leo) is casting director Johanna Ray's son.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Ross wrote:...the actor who played Earle's victim is Craig MacLachlan- I'm assuming this is Kyle's brother?
Yes!
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Jerry Horne wrote:
Ross wrote:...the actor who played Earle's victim is Craig MacLachlan- I'm assuming this is Kyle's brother?
Yes!
Looks JUST like Kyle- funny how no one mentions the resemblance on the show.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Wow, you guys are so smart! I never knew all those people were related, etc. How about designing a new trivia game?
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
musicaddict
RR Diner Member

Post by musicaddict »

Another thing that has been bugging me: why does Agent Cooper tape record his thoughts for Diane? I mean this is in the time before we could realistically assume that he emails it to her etc. Remember when he talks about the loud Norwegians he mentions on one tape saying he will need ear plugs and then the next day he is thanking Diane for having sent them to him. Strange cos how did he get his tapes to her in such a short time so that she could know that she needed to buy the ear plugs and send them to him? We also never see what he does with the tapes - does he post them to her? He also seems to have a limitless supply of tapes...
page_ripped_out

Just got mine. OK it's old news now, but i just gotta say...

Post by page_ripped_out »

Hi, just got this shipped from the US to here in England yesterday YAY!

Have only watched a bit of an episode just to check the picture and sound quality, of which both are beautiful.

But i sat up LATE watching all of the extras and found them all to be just great. OK, with maybe the exception of the 'dleted scenes' which aren't particularily interesting, in my opinion.

Things i LOVED, were without a doubt the whole Slice of Lynch segment. Just so wanted to be there. What a great little section! He is such a nice nice guy :)
Two more things that stood out in that segment too:
1) How Madchen Amick STILL looks as young as she was in the show. Beautiful!
2) How OLD Kale(sic) looks nowdays! lol.

The SNL skit, excluding the hilarious wrapping bow decoration bit, i actually didn't find so funny. But i think that may be the way humour travels either side of our waters at times. I do love many SNL things i have seen in the past, but not much of the Mike Myers era TBH. Sorry if i offend anyone with that! I am glad it was in tho because it's all part of the whole wonderful world of Twin Peaks and illustrates how much of an impact the show was having at that time, i assume.

Loved the typically Japanese coffee adverts and although i wanted it to go on for hours, i was very satisfied with the length of the Making Of segments. It's good that you can have them play all together as one, also, so it seems like one long documentary. Sure, i wanted more in depth stuff and maybe a wider range of cast members interviewed, but you could go on forever putting more and more in i guess.
I couldn't work out if Julee Cruise was being a bit self important or if it was all tongue in cheek, lol. I've never heard her speak before this DVD and because of her songs, i always imagined her as this somewhat ethereal being who was very softly spoken! LOL. She's quite in your face in a small way and that's really cool.

The fan convention stuff was fun and I am so happy they included, albiet a short, Q&A with Pheobe Augustine. I think she's so fab and she's also on the interactive map briefly too. Plus Kimmy Robertson is always hilarious. I love her sense of humour.

So, so far, so damn good. I have heard about the problems with the disc 4(?) and 6(?) menus ect..but have not started to watch the show yet. Love the trading cards and the overall packaging. Nowhere near as garish as i thought it was going to be.

On a vaguely related note, does anyone have much info on Pheobe Augustine? I read that she fronts(fronted?) a band called the Wildflowers(?) but don't know much else.
" Diane, I'm holding in my hand, a box of small chocolate bunnies... "