Video quality comparison (Season 1) - Artisan vs. CBS DVD

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

pelley

Video quality comparison (Season 1) - Artisan vs. CBS DVD

Post by pelley »

Here's a brief image comparison between the two Season 1 DVD's:

http://www.chrisandkori.us/fw/main/defa ... DocID=1531

The new one is definitely crisper and cropped ever so slightly to eliminate the black borders on the side.

Chris
jlyon1515
RR Diner Member

Post by jlyon1515 »

Any way I could see the comparison pics without having to sign up for that site? :)
pelley

Post by pelley »

jlyon1515 wrote:Any way I could see the comparison pics without having to sign up for that site? :)
Oops, my bad. Try it again, everybody. Page should be public now.

Chris
Sugardrugged Fairy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Sugardrugged Fairy »

It hardly differs except for the black border.
There's a place i'd like to show you. Near the ocean. It's very secluded.
I think you'll understand me better if you come with me.
pelley

Post by pelley »

Sugardrugged Fairy wrote:It hardly differs except for the black border.
Well the Artisan set did have superb quality. That's why I was a little surprised when I heard they had remastered the first season again.

I can see a slight improvement. The colors are more vibrant and the details are a little more crisp. For example, look at Cooper's hair in that photo. The Artisan set looks just a little more blurry and washed out compared to the CBS DVD. They're both excellent but they did manage to enhance it a bit.
mark84
Roadhouse Member

Post by mark84 »

It looks to me like the blacks are very slightly enhanced. Very nice picture, i'm looking forward to seeing it in action.
snellwilco

maintaining a consistent look

Post by snellwilco »

"Well the Artisan set did have superb quality. That's why I was a little surprised when I heard they had remastered the first season again."

As explained in the interview with the technical producers, they did it so that "the entire boxed set would be consistent" in terms of color. But they didn't re-telecine the negatives, they "simply took their existing masters and re-color timed them based off of Lynch's exact notes."

It would be interesting to see a detailed analysis with bitrates and whatnot, but I certainly don't have the time or patience to delve into that. They both look great...the Artisan set _as I remembered_ seemed to have a warmer color palette in some scenes, but I did a brief A&B a few days ago and couldn't be sure in the few scenes I looked at whether there really was a difference.

It's interesting in a way that they have the "rights" to the Artisan telecine masters. I suppose when the rights to the series itself transfer, the rights to associated material produced by a former owner transfer as well. But the producers of the CBS DVDs said that they output their telecine work to HDCAM SR, a format which did not even exist when Season 1 was produced. So the video masters exist in two different formats. I wonder if an HD-DVD release ever happens - something I refuse to even think about after the years of agony to which we fans were subjected - they will be compelled to re-telecine the season 1 negatives so that, at HD display res., the whole series has an absolutely consistent look.

I wish the interview had been a little more technical about what they used in terms of equipment, but it was still an interesting read.