Lynch really busy with Wild At Heart?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

NoiselessFan
Roadhouse Member

Re: Lynch really busy with Wild At Heart?

Post by NoiselessFan »

greg4881 wrote:
Wasn't just embarrassing watching scenes like that, wtf were they thinking. Can you imagine sitting around a table of writers and telling them "I think Nadine should be given super strength, have her think she's in high school again and become a wrestler." I would fire that person right on the spot.

Me too - I can't imagine anyone thinking it, let alone saying it out loud in a prod meeting, or others AGREEING to do it.
garland

Post by garland »

NoiselessFan wrote:
greg4881 wrote:
Wasn't just embarrassing watching scenes like that, wtf were they thinking. Can you imagine sitting around a table of writers and telling them "I think Nadine should be given super strength, have her think she's in high school again and become a wrestler." I would fire that person right on the spot.

Me too - I can't imagine anyone thinking it, let alone saying it out loud in a prod meeting, or others AGREEING to do it.
Well the whole Nadine having super strength idea first appeared in the second episode. So it wasn't some Second Season Notion.
And her regression to high school time fits with the idea of Leland returning to songs from his youth. And with the ideas in Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive where people retreat to some alternate version of their past to escape their unbearable present.

So I am not convinced that her story is so terrible, even if it was not handled in the best manner.
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

garland wrote: Well the whole Nadine having super strength idea first appeared in the second episode. So it wasn't some Second Season Notion.
And her regression to high school time fits with the idea of Leland returning to songs from his youth. And with the ideas in Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive where people retreat to some alternate version of their past to escape their unbearable present.

So I am not convinced that her story is so terrible, even if it was not handled in the best manner.
Good point, Garland. Agree.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

see shooting script of last episode (written by Frost) vs filmed final episode (directed by Lynch).
I'm not sure Frost wrote much of that script, but we'll probably never know. It sounds a lot like Peyton to me, with some of Engels's ideas thrown in. In fact, Frost's non-involvement (he was basically absent for the whole shooting period of episodes 17-23) was in all likelihood a much bigger problem than Lynch's, since Lynch disappeared for a lot of the first season without any noticeable drop in quality.

I think Frost outlined the main story of the last episode, which Lynch mostly stayed true to. There are actually few major changes except to individual lines, and then mostly in the Red Room. It's the over-the-top Windom-ness that really feels too much.

Peyton is a seriously amazing writer, but he needed a good editor. With proper guidance from Frost (and Lynch), he wrote Laura's funeral (with Shelly's joke) (1x03) , Albert and Coop's breakfast (2x02) and "Can you see me, Daddy?" (with Engels; 2x06). Without guidance he wrote the Evelyn Marsh plot.
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Mikeindustry wrote:But to the bigger question - It's been the official party line for years that WAH kept Lynch from the second season, and I agree with all the points everyone here made - he was well finished shooting and promoting WAH by the second season, and more, he was IN a lot of the second season, so... here's my question:

Did Lynch himself ever say this? Anyone got a source on it? Because I've always thought that it was just one of those half-baked things said around a water-cooler, on the internet, in a film zine, whatever, that got repeated over and over till it was "true" - but as far as I remember, I don't think Lynch himself said it, has he? (I could be wrong on that one).

I'll note this though - due to the mysterious nature of Twin Peaks, combined with the large audience, there were a lot of people throwing out "Facts" from early on that had nothing to do with reality, and oddly, some have stuck.
I was alerted to a quote from Lynch on Lynch today:
Isn't it true that you were less involved in the second series, because you were off making Wild at Heart?

Right. That started. in the second season I was, you know, removed from it. Although I loved the idea of a continuing story, those stores have to be written, and every week you have to do another show, and pretty soon it catches up with you and you find you don't have enough time to get down in there and do what you're supposed to do. And it becomes something you don't really want to do.

Were you unhappy when you returned and saw the direction Twin Peaks was taking?

See, I'm not making a judgment on it. It's just not the way If Mark and I had been working together, it would've been different. But we weren't, so it was the way it was. I went to a couple of meetings with the writers, and things like that, but unless you're right in there and you're hands on That's one of the frustrating things about TV: there are other directors, other writers, and other things that come in. It may be fine, but it's not what you would do. It's frustrating.
I think we can blame this rumour on poor research, aided by a typically Lynchian non-answer.
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"