Track listing for a 4th soundtrack....

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

MysteryMan
RR Diner Member

Track listing for a 4th soundtrack....

Post by MysteryMan »

Now that the 3rd soundtrack is finally out, and seems to sell rather well, perhaps there is a chance of seeing a 4th soundtrack released as well. I believe originally they planned on releasing two CDs with new Twin Peaks music or a double-CD... Which tracks do you want to see on that CD? This is my wish list.

1. Twin Peaks Theme - Slow Version, also referred to as "Rememberance"; played during Nadine's suicide scene (eps. 7), revelation of M.T. Wentz (eps. 17), Ben Horne's slide show (eps. 18 )

2. James' Theme; heard at the beginning of episode 18 as James heads out of town on his bike; also played several times during Nadine's super strength scenes (eps 14 and 17)

3. Deer Meadow Shuffle (from Fire Walk With Me)

4. Double R Swing (from Fire Walk With Me)

5. Rockin' Back Inside My Heart (from episode 14; although previously released it has never appeared on a TP soundtrack before)

6. Audrey's prank - played in the pilot when she is telling the Norwegians about her "dear friend Laura being brutally murdered"

7. Invitation To Love; played during the various ITL scenes from the first season

8. Pennsylvania 6,5000 (from episode 2)

9. Cooper and Truman breaking in to Jacques' apartment (from episode 4)

10. Ben Horne's secret meeting in the woods with Leo/Donna and James discovering necklace is missing from its hiding place (from episode 4)

11. In The Mood (from episode 5)

12. The sawmill is on fire (from episode 7)

13. The Haywards' and Palmers' dinner party; the other tune played by Gersten Hayward during this scene (from episode 8 )

14. What A Wonderful World (from episode 14)

15. Blue Pine Lodge theme; the classical piece played in episode 21 as Catherine lets Pete in on Andrew still being alive

16. Opera tune played in background of Briggs family dinner in episode 1 and also the Wallies bar scene of episode 22

17. Cooper and Annie's dance at the roadhouse from episode 27 (sounds like an instrumental version of "Space For Love" by Julee Cruise by the way - anyone else notice this?)

18. The Miss Twin Peaks Contest opening dance number

19. Lana's dance at the Miss Twin Peaks Contest

20. Laura Palmer's Theme - slow piano version (heard briefly in "Montage From Twin Peaks"; from Fire Walk With Me and also used numerous times in the series)

21. The World Spins (from episode 14; although previously released it has never appeared on a TP soundtrack album before)

22. Requiem In C Minor (from Fire Walk With Me)
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

Spot on. That would be just perfect!
Sam Howzit
Roadhouse Member

Post by Sam Howzit »

Just a couple of quick follow ups to this list.

For Track 2 (James' Theme) - I'm guessing it may be called "Americana" (as listed on the Coffee Mix Up Contest on greetingsfromtwinpeaks.com).

For Track 13 (The Dinner Party Music Gersten plays) - That's "Rondo Capricciasso, Op. 14" by Felix Mendelssohn. I'm unsure if it is actually Gersten playing or if it is a recording (gut tells me it's a recording).

For Track 15 (Blue Pine Lodge Theme) - That's "Piano Concerto in A Minor (1st Movement)" by Edvard Grieg. I'm unsure of the orchestra or conductor.

Track 17 (Cooper and Annie's Dance) - I too have always noticed it sounded like an instrumental track of Space for Love. I've been meaning to compare the tracks using some audio editor I have.

Sam
MysteryMan
RR Diner Member

Post by MysteryMan »

Thanks a lot for the extra information! I was not sure what the official names for some of the songs were. :-)
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

There's already a thread about this on the Badalamenti board- check it out!

Just to add my two cents-
The tracks you list in #1 are two different tracks (although both are variations of "Falling"). First, there is the "acoustic" version played during Nadine's suicide attempt, and then in the Ben Horne home movies scene (and again in that episode's credits). This is known as "Rememberances" on the net- although I'm not sure where that name originated.

And then there is the "organ" version played in the MT Wentz scene. I LOVE this one. There is a FULL 5+ minute bootleg version of this around, and I'm really surprised its not on the CD.

For me, the biggest omission is the music that Cooper and Annie dance to the night before the Miss Twin Peaks Pageant ("We'll follow each other").

The other is the music that plays over Albert & Cooper talking about Josie (Episode 2.16), and plays throughout Josie's scene with Andrew. ("To Beginnings... AND Endings, and the wisdom to know the difference.") It is also heard in Episode 2.09 when James gives Donna a ring.

Other than that, I'd like full versions of "I'm Hurt Bad" and "Dark Mood Woods". And instrumental versions of "Just You" and "Sycamore Trees", as both were heard.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
It-Kai

Post by It-Kai »

Great idea!

I REALLY love all things Twin Peaks (well, maybe not Denise, Lana, Evelyn and little Devil Nicky in a cartoon buble!), but I have to admit that i just don't need 9 and 12. I think they're so far from the universe Badalamenti created for Twin Peaks and very 80's b-movie like. I just can't stand when the mill is on fire and those nasty drums appear!
The Magician
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Magician »

Sounds like a great track list, however, I'd change three things. I wouldn't want non-Badalamenti music on there that I could get anywhere else. The opera music and "What a Wonderful World" do not belong on a Twin Peaks album (I think). To replace those three tracks I would LOVE:

14. Leland's Big Band Music (from episode 2)

15. Ben's Civil War music

16. RR Diner Background music (that plays in too many episodes to count)

Although still available elsewhere, I agree that those two Cruise songs NEED to be on a TP album.

FANTASTIC list otherwise. Sounds good enough to be official. :D
Sometimes things can happen just like this. *snap*

J'ai une âme solitaire.
MysteryMan
RR Diner Member

Post by MysteryMan »

The Magician wrote:Sounds like a great track list, however, I'd change three things. I wouldn't want non-Badalamenti music on there that I could get anywhere else. The opera music and "What a Wonderful World" do not belong on a Twin Peaks album (I think). To replace those three tracks I would LOVE:

14. Leland's Big Band Music (from episode 2)

15. Ben's Civil War music

16. RR Diner Background music (that plays in too many episodes to count)

Although still available elsewhere, I agree that those two Cruise songs NEED to be on a TP album.

FANTASTIC list otherwise. Sounds good enough to be official. :D
Actually Leland's big band music is a non-Badalamenti composition....! And the song Leland dances to in the Palmer living room from episode 2 is called "Pennsylvania 6,5000" and included in my list.

You say you feel non-Badalamenti songs don't belong on a TP soundtrack. However there were a lot more than 3 songs on my list that were non-Badalamenti compositions. If you look at the soundtracks that Lynch and Badalamenti have done together in the past, a lot of non-Badalamenti songs have been included. For instance on Blue Velvet ("In Dreams", "Love Letters"), Wild At Heart ("Be-Bop-A-Lula", "Baby Please Don't Go"), Mulholland Drive ("I've Told Every Little Star"), just to name a few. Of course I respect your opinion, which you are entitled to :)
whatif
Roadhouse Member

Post by whatif »

I'd only add the music from FWWM when Chet Desmond is in Teresa Bank's Trailer. That's probably one of my favorite unreleased tracks from Twin Peaks. That and Dear Meadow Shuffle.
The Magician
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Magician »

MysteryMan wrote:
Actually Leland's big band music is a non-Badalamenti composition....! And the song Leland dances to in the Palmer living room from episode 2 is called "Pennsylvania 6,5000" and included in my list.

You say you feel non-Badalamenti songs don't belong on a TP soundtrack. However there were a lot more than 3 songs on my list that were non-Badalamenti compositions. If you look at the soundtracks that Lynch and Badalamenti have done together in the past, a lot of non-Badalamenti songs have been included. For instance on Blue Velvet ("In Dreams", "Love Letters"), Wild At Heart ("Be-Bop-A-Lula", "Baby Please Don't Go"), Mulholland Drive ("I've Told Every Little Star"), just to name a few. Of course I respect your opinion, which you are entitled to :)
Ah! I see. Great songs.

I just wouldn't want the track to be spent on What A Wonderful World (since I can easily get it anywhere) when there will never be enough tracks to get all the specific TP songs I could want.

I guess I didn't mean specifically Badalamenti songs as much as I meant specifically songs created for the show. Or, if Pennsylvania 6,500 is available elsewhere, it's certainly not readily available.
Sometimes things can happen just like this. *snap*

J'ai une âme solitaire.
Sam Howzit
Roadhouse Member

Post by Sam Howzit »

I'm really not 100% sure if this is the actual Glenn Miller track used in the series. Yet it sure sounds a lot like it. It's from a CD I found in 1994 at my local library. Ended up getting it (guess I'm a Glenn Miller fan ... I celebrate his entire catalog ... hey, he's better than Michael Bolton).

Anyway, it looks like it is available via Amazon.com in a digital download (how fitting).

In The Digital Mood

Sam