fan-edits?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

uncle_fugly
Roadhouse Member

fan-edits?

Post by uncle_fugly »

My roommates have never seen Twin Peaks and are quite anxious to do so. In fact, they were so eager that they began watching FWWM without me knowing. Luckily, they only made it to the opening credits before I discovered them and immediately shut off the TV.

Anyway, I'm really excited about them experiencing the pilot through episode 16 for the first time. I'm also dreading episodes 17-28 because I'll have to explain why the majority of it is so awful. I'll want to skip to the final episode, but I can't because they'll have no idea what's going on.

So that brings me to the idea of a fan-edit. What if I could edit these episodes to only a few hours while successfully bridging the gap to Lynch's final episode? I've been meaning to teach myself DVD editing, and this seems like a fun way to do so. Of course, I'd have to leave in the ludicrous Donna/Ben Horne paternity sub-plot, but some sacrifices have to be made...

So how do you all feel about fan-edits? Blasphemous? A necessary evil? I'm curious of everyone's opinion.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

you could edit out evelyn and james and never worry about a thing, that's for sure.
They-Shot-Waldo!
RR Diner Member

Post by They-Shot-Waldo! »

Given the growing popularity of fan edits (http://www.original-trilogy.com/, http://fanedit.org/wpEE/) - and now with the whole series on the DVD - I'd be amazed if someone doesn't make a genuine, and near-professional standard stab at this sometime soon. (Even purely as an exercise).

I'd be more curious would someone be able to move the revelation of the killer to the very end of the second season - but keep the momentum of the other, main plots - Jean Renault, Windom Earle. Perhaps Leland dies and then the Miss Twin Peaks Pagent occurs, thereby ending the series with Cooper-as-Bob? I honestly don't see how that could work, but I'm sure someone might have an ingenious idea to tie it all together.
-- Gerry

the black dog runs at night
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

I don't think this is possible. If I though I could edit out Lana successfully from the series altogether, I would have tried a long time ago. The Evelyn story is the only thing that can be safely edited out, but that's not the worst part of season 2 in my view. In fact, I kinda enjoyed it. I suppose you could make a montage type deal, but that's not really a fan edit, more like "Highlights from Twin Peaks".

One solution: you could stop after episode 17, then let them watch the extended "previously on..." segment from episode 24. That was after the hiatus and people needed reminders. I think that covers the second season pretty well (haven't watched it in a while, though). It will not, however, help with episode 24 itself, which is awful. But episode 25 and 27 are very good, so maybe you should just pick up again from there. 28 is awful, but at least it progresses fast and should be forgotten once the wonderful last episode begins. Watch those two in a row.

I would still not really recommend jumping from 17 to 24, though. The terror Cooper feels with Windom Earle is not really explained if you jump past the mask scene and the truly great pawn at the sheriff's office scene. And those scenes are in the bad episodes. Not to mention the great Andrew Packard and Josie being the maid. There's plenty to love even in the bad episodes. If they hate episode 18, suggest watching 18 through 24 while they cook or iron their shirts. The music is amazing, at least. :)
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
whatif
Roadhouse Member

Post by whatif »

I got through the first two Episodes of cutting out Evelyn Marsh. I will probably finish the rest in the next month or so. I was also able to save the 5.1 mix as well. Not sure how it will turn out but I will let you all know.
uncle_fugly
Roadhouse Member

Post by uncle_fugly »

whatif, may I ask what software you're using for your editing?

I copied the scene-by-scene recaps from twinpeaksgazette and started making notes as to removing and moving around certain scenes. Then I watched episodes 17-28 last night (while fast-forwarding through all the dreck), and I don't think this is as impossible as it seems. Evelyn Marsh can be easily edited out, but so can Little Nicky, Lana, Nadine, Rusty, the Pine Weasel, Andy's wine tasting, Windom Earle's overacting, and the Ben Horne civil war storyline. There is hope...
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

uncle_fugly wrote:Evelyn Marsh can be easily edited out, but so can Little Nicky, Lana, Nadine, Rusty, the Pine Weasel, Andy's wine tasting, Windom Earle's overacting, and the Ben Horne civil war storyline. There is hope...
Wow, pretty soon we'll be able to watch all of Season 2 in one hour!! Man - did Season 2 REALLY suck that bad?? I just watched Eps 25-27 the other day for the hell of it and because I wanted to be using my new DVDs, and I really enjoyed them!

Would be fascinated to see an edit of all this though. You'd really condense a lot of the show this way.
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

I'm always surprised at how many TP "fans" there are that dislike SO much of it.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

over the years, we usually stop when Maddy's body is found.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Audrey Horne wrote:over the years, we usually stop when Maddy's body is found.
To each his own I guess. I just doubt I'd even consider myself a fan (especially 17 years later) if I disliked so much of it.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

but Ross I love the first half more than almost any other cinema -and I love my cinema.

If we were to keep the show as it is now, which you love, and then to say it continued but that continuation is made up of a test screen pattern or episodes of Full House, would it make you love the parts you love any less?

And my fandom and appreciation is why I found myself increasingly frustrated when the second season continued in the manner that it did.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Audrey Horne wrote:but Ross I love the first half more than almost any other cinema -and I love my cinema.

If we were to keep the show as it is now, which you love, and then to say it continued but that continuation is made up of a test screen pattern or episodes of Full House, would it make you love the parts you love any less?
Actually, it might, or at least it may have tainted my interest in it.

There were many shows I liked quite a bit that went downhill, and that left such a sour taste with me, that I just lost interest in the whole thing. I remember loving "Millenium" in the first year, but from the second it stated its 2nd season, it was horrible. Part of the run of "Roseanne" was pretty revolutionary and of the highest quality, but it hit a downward spiral, and its final year was so awful it made "Urkel" look sophisticated by comparison.

Likewise, things like "Lost" and "The Sopranos" lost my interest after loosing focus and becoming lackluster. I just can't imagine going back to these shows and revisting just the parts I had liked. Or even really considering myself a "fan". Maybe that's just me- who knows. I just think a big part of the reason I'm still so interested in TP- all these years later (and let's face it, 17 years is a LONG time), is that it captivated me from the beginning to the end.
whatif
Roadhouse Member

Post by whatif »

uncle_fugly wrote:whatif, may I ask what software you're using for your editing?
I'm using a combination of Vegas and Womble. I don't think I'll go farther than removing the Evelyn Marsh storyline. The rest I can live with.

As for Ross, I think it's OK to not love everything about Twin Peaks. My love for Twin Peaks is not blind.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

TheArm wrote: I just watched Eps 25-27 the other day for the hell of it and because I wanted to be using my new DVDs, and I really enjoyed them!
Why wouldn't you? They're great! (Actually, ep. 26 isn't that hot, but 25 and 27 are fab).
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
uncle_fugly
Roadhouse Member

Post by uncle_fugly »

Audrey Horne wrote:but Ross I love the first half more than almost any other cinema -and I love my cinema....

And my fandom and appreciation is why I found myself increasingly frustrated when the second season continued in the manner that it did.
My sentiments exactly. When asked what my favorite movie is, I always reply Twin Peaks. But it's frustrating to attach an asterisk to this.