Top 5 endings!

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Top 5 endings!

Post by Jerry Horne »

What are your top 5 favorite episode endings or cliffhangers? Mine would be:

5th) Episode 27. The scenes that crawl through the town then end up on BOB in GG. Very efective.

4th) Episode 2. The dream sequence. The first glimpse in the series of deep surrealism. Classic.

3rd) Episode 29. The final scene in the series. When Coop hits the mirror and we see BOB. Wow.

2nd) Episode 8. Ronette's flashback to events in the traincar. The scariest scene in the series.

1st) Episode 14. Maddy killed/owls in the Roadhouse. Possible the finest sequence in the entire series.

Not surprisingly, Lynch directed 4 out of 5 of my choices (Always subject to change!)
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
worthit
Roadhouse Member

Post by worthit »

I totally agree with you, Jerry. I would maybe change around a bit on the order, but basically I find those five endings my favorite ones. I could also add a couple:

Episode 16) When the camera "runs" through the woods as if we have a first person view of someone. Then the owl comes directly towards us. Creepy!

Episode 24) After Josie dies, a hand appears on the bed. We know it's BOB before we can see him, even though he's been gone for a long time. And then Josie's agonizing scream from the drawer knob. It freaks me out every time.

There's so many good endings. I love the episode 17 ending too, when Major Briggs disappears in the woods. The bright white light etc. And what about the Pilot?
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

I agree with Worthit about Josie and drawer knob (it's really ep. 23, though isn't it?). It adds a new layer of meaning to the Lodge/spirit world and entrapment which I really like. Not to mention completely unexpected; you sure as hell won't see that one coming unless you know about it. It also leads me to actually believe that Josie might have been possessed by Bob and later killed by him because she became exposed and weak. If Judy was really supposed to have been Josie's sister, this could have been expanded upon in the second feature film.

Also, episode 7. Of course. The cliffhanger to end all cliffhangers. It actually works in creating an incredible amount of suspense AND gently and lovingly poke fun of the night time soap opera end-of-season cliffhanger phenomenon by upping the suspense to the ridiculous. If this doesn't convince people that Mark Frost is a genius, nothing will.

The pilot too. And episode 27. I especially like the use of the mayor's words to the ominous images from around town and the Grove.

But one of the best for me is actually the little-loved episode 20 when Windom Earle takes a pawn in the dark sheriff's office. Man oh man, that freaked me out. Like I never tire of saying: Todd Holland is a brilliant director (see the Leland confession scene in episode 11 for proof). Episode 22 too, which has a similar vibe. Windom was really effective until he actually showed up in person (let the flaming begin).
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
Ross
Global Moderator

Re: Top 5 endings!

Post by Ross »

Jerry Horne wrote:What are your top 5 favorite episode endings or cliffhangers? Mine would be:

5th) Episode 27. The scenes that crawl through the town then end up on BOB in GG. Very efective.

4th) Episode 2. The dream sequence. The first glimpse in the series of deep surrealism. Classic.

3rd) Episode 29. The final scene in the series. When Coop hits the mirror and we see BOB. Wow.

2nd) Episode 8. Ronette's flashback to events in the traincar. The scariest scene in the series.

1st) Episode 14. Maddy killed/owls in the Roadhouse. Possible the finest sequence in the entire series.
You nailed it Jerry!! No need to post my own list! I was surprised that your choices are the exact ones I would make-even with many of the same comments.

The end of episode 8 is still a jaw-dropper. Packs more horrific punch in those brief moments than almost any horror film.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Worthit-
Yes! The ending when Coop and the Major were nightfishing was great! I remember during the original broadcast i had to set my recorder for this one as i was on a double-date with a good friend of mine. After playing some pool we suggested we go back to one of the girls houses for drinks when really we just wanted to catch Twin Peaks (A show the gals were apparently not interested in - losers)

:lol:
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
The Magician
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Magician »

Great lists! I love stuff like this.

My favorites are Episodes 2, 7, 14, 17, 23, and 29, but you've all forgotten one classic one!!!

Episode 21, where Leo stumbles through the woods into Windom's cabin. That is a contender for my # 1, actually. It is so exciting how much it sets up and how much it delivers at the same time. That was the scene that made me realize that Twin Peaks is my favorite show ever! Haha.
Sometimes things can happen just like this. *snap*

J'ai une âme solitaire.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

my faves -

"Harry, meet me at the Great Northern tomorrow morning... I know who killed Laura Palmer ...no, it can wait until tomorrow." (snap, snap)

"Don't make me leave. Please don't make me leave."

"Feast your eyes, my dear. This is such stuff as dreams are made of."
"Agent Cooper, we found Leo Johnson ...he's been shot. Agent Cooper?"
BAM!

"Trouble Miss Horne? You don't know what trouble is. Not by a long shot."

"I'm so sorry." (Julie Cruise sings us out)

weird, three of mine are Lynch's.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

I think the cliffhanger of Ep 27 is pretty remarkable. I love all of those tracking shots of the empty locations. Stephen Gyllenhaal was one of the best directors and I wish he'd done more episodes. I think Ep 27 is one of the absolute best of the later episodes, along with 25.
Last edited by TheArm on Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
GORDON COLE ! ! ! !

Post by GORDON COLE ! ! ! ! »

Maddie being killed in episode 14.The ultimate psychic shock...
...YOU BREAK AN EGG ON IT,SHE,S MY MOTHERS SISTERS GIRL.OREGON!!!ITS A BEAUTIFUL WEAPON,COOP,ACTS LIKE HE,S NEVER SEEN A KISS BEFORE...