I think Lynch will continue TP ... on the net.

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

I think Lynch will continue TP ... on the net.

Post by Jonah »

After reading that interview on Entertainment Weekly with him (see link on main Dugpa.com homepage) and based on his reluctance to let the Season 3 graphic novel go ahead, and the fact that apparently his website has been neglected and suffering lack of renewals, all of these reasons make me think Lynch IS going to continue TP - and on his website!

What does everyone else think?
Diane
RR Diner Member

Post by Diane »

I think I would become a member of the website.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Oh yes, definitely, me too. And he and whomever else is involved, know that if TP is continued exclusively on DL.com, there would get lots and lots of paid subscribers!
They-Shot-Waldo!
RR Diner Member

Post by They-Shot-Waldo! »

Lynch is notoriously cagey and evasive when it comes to the status of his various projects - remember how long it took to learn what the (vague as it was) plot of 'INLAND EMPIRE' was? The non-activity of his site is interesting, and it'd be intriguing with all the "nostalgia in the air" - as dugpa put it with the interview with Charles - that Lynch, Frost & Co. wouldn't be interested.

How would that work though, with all the various rights and such held up by Paramount, etc.? I often wonder such Lynch, soundmaster as he is, not try go the route of audio plays (where he would certainly get away with picking up the series exactly where we left off) - but of course then we'd be lacking the TP visual asthetic.

It'd be fantastic if it was both Lynch and Frost again, with at least some of the cast members back on board - MacLachlan and Onktean are the most essential IMO - after all, we will be revisiting the town after a considerable amount of time has passed, and certainly with new characters. And I don't reckon immediately revisiting those various cliffhangers either. (Perhaps in passing, someone will mention, "that exploision at the Savings and Loan ol' Pete Martell was killed in"). But what would be the hook for a new storyline? Another murder? Perhaps suspicion will fall on Cooper because he was the last one possessed by Bob? I'm intrigued on Bob Engels idea of Truman living as a hermit in the woods for years... perhaps Coop tries to track down his old friend to solve this new mystery and possible redeem the actions he committed when Bob possessed him? Would a new lead character will be needed, perhaps another FBI Agent (Cooper could be retired)... to introduce newcomers to the town? It's fascinating speculating where the story might go.
-- Gerry

the black dog runs at night
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

i am currently writing and recording an alt-folk-rock opera that starts in season two and bleeds into season 3 based on what bob engels said in his interview so even if lynch never does come back to TP, i have some personal satisfaction
mark84
Roadhouse Member

Post by mark84 »

I really really hope he leaves it well alone.
GeekBoyEric74
RR Diner Member

Post by GeekBoyEric74 »

They-Shot-Waldo! wrote:Lynch is notoriously cagey and evasive when it comes to the status of his various projects - remember how long it took to learn what the (vague as it was) plot of 'INLAND EMPIRE' was? The non-activity of his site is interesting, and it'd be intriguing with all the "nostalgia in the air" - as dugpa put it with the interview with Charles - that Lynch, Frost & Co. wouldn't be interested.

How would that work though, with all the various rights and such held up by Paramount, etc.? I often wonder such Lynch, soundmaster as he is, not try go the route of audio plays (where he would certainly get away with picking up the series exactly where we left off) - but of course then we'd be lacking the TP visual asthetic.

It'd be fantastic if it was both Lynch and Frost again, with at least some of the cast members back on board - MacLachlan and Onktean are the most essential IMO - after all, we will be revisiting the town after a considerable amount of time has passed, and certainly with new characters. And I don't reckon immediately revisiting those various cliffhangers either. (Perhaps in passing, someone will mention, "that exploision at the Savings and Loan ol' Pete Martell was killed in"). But what would be the hook for a new storyline? Another murder? Perhaps suspicion will fall on Cooper because he was the last one possessed by Bob? I'm intrigued on Bob Engels idea of Truman living as a hermit in the woods for years... perhaps Coop tries to track down his old friend to solve this new mystery and possible redeem the actions he committed when Bob possessed him? Would a new lead character will be needed, perhaps another FBI Agent (Cooper could be retired)... to introduce newcomers to the town? It's fascinating speculating where the story might go.
everything you've suggested is the route I'd always figured David Lynch would go in if he were ever to return...mostly new characters with some familiar ones. The cliffhangers being resolved in passing, etc. I don't think Paramount would have to be involved at all...I believe they only own the rights to the series, but Lynch and Frost own the characters/concepts. The revenue it would create for his website would go through the roof, not to mention the money from the eventual DVD release. As I've stated before, the only person stopping David Lynch from doing more in the world of Twin Peaks is David Lynch.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

I'd subscribe like a shot!

Think about it: maybe release 10 mins a week. After six weeks, you have an hour. Make the 'episodes' available for download, so we can keep them on DVD or stream them and make them available to buy on DVD from the site and we'd all be happy!

Rather than having a massive, overbearing plotline, you could have hour-long stories each telling different 'tales' of Twin Peaks. There could be a background story arc, still, that could be picked up on later, but a TP web series could allow us to see smaller-scale stories, perhaps about more minor characters.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

It's correct that Lynch/Frost productions own the rights to the concept/characters. That's why for instance they had to make the european stand alone ending to the pilot in order to also get money from Warner Brothers. I don't know the terms of the closing of the L/F company so it's possible that David would have to get permission from Mark Frost (or much, much better have him be involved as well) but i don't see his name anywhere on the new soundtrack album.(And that is a Twin Peaks album released entirely by Absurda.)
GORDON COLE ! ! ! !

Post by GORDON COLE ! ! ! ! »

This is all very very interesting to me.Season 3 of Twin Peaks on the net...Wow Bob Wow ! Of course I myself have numerous ideas of where certain characters could go.One of them is the Log Lady eventually dealing a deathblow to Killer Bob in revenge for what happened to her husband...She kills him with Water(What with Killer Bob being an entity of Fire).Serves him/it bloody well right too ! Another idea is from David Lynchs art book"The air is on fire".Theres a pic of "BOB" encountering an entity called Mr. Redman,and the caption below reads "Uh-oh..."(Thats BOB saying that).So it seems to me that Mr. Redman is some sort of Boss,maybe the Boss of The Red Room(his name is Mr. Redman after all!).And it seems that he is going to deal with BOB for being a naughty boy...As for all this complicated legal stuff regarding the name of Twin Peaks:Lynch could always give it a different name.Maybe something like Fire Walk With Me.I also had another idea(Yeah yeah I know:too many late nites and coffee) of some sort of spin-off series called The Adventures of the Log Lady,inaswhich she goes off on these mysterious adventures which involve mysticism,strange characters,off-kilter situations which are also at the same time terribly funny.
...YOU BREAK AN EGG ON IT,SHE,S MY MOTHERS SISTERS GIRL.OREGON!!!ITS A BEAUTIFUL WEAPON,COOP,ACTS LIKE HE,S NEVER SEEN A KISS BEFORE...
GORDON COLE ! ! ! !

Post by GORDON COLE ! ! ! ! »

Another idea is that,if Mr.Lynch has been suggesting this idea,then he,s gonna want a positive reaction.Maybe he is wanting things to "happen" first,like when there was a petition by 10,000 fans to put the series back on TV-which worked.Maybe he is looking for something similar to see if people are interested.Maybe us Twin Peaks fans should form an on-line petition to get as many signatures as possible and then present it to him or whatever,sit back and hope for the best?
...YOU BREAK AN EGG ON IT,SHE,S MY MOTHERS SISTERS GIRL.OREGON!!!ITS A BEAUTIFUL WEAPON,COOP,ACTS LIKE HE,S NEVER SEEN A KISS BEFORE...
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

I don't see how Lynch could ever finance a project like that. Producing TP would take MONEY. Do we want to see grade-Z budget TP segments?
Last edited by Ross on Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

He financed "INLAND EMPIRE" that way. Originally titled "AXXON N" it was supposed to be the first "real" live-action series on DL.COM.