Who's the ghostly face on my FWWM DVD box?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

page_ripped_out

Who's the ghostly face on my FWWM DVD box?

Post by page_ripped_out »

I'd attach a picture if i knew how, but i'm afraid i'll have to rely on the hope others out there have the same DVD as i do, which i'm sure many do.

The particular DVD i am on about is the MK2 edition with the plastic sleeve and blue booklet. I don't know which is front or back, but one side shows Coop standing beside Laura, ala end credits and the other side has Laura sitting on the bed in Teresa's motel room...
I only just noticed this, but once you slide off the plastic over there is a face in the bottom L/H corner, next to where it says DVD/VIDEO. I thought at first, that this must be a print off of a newspaper or magazine that magazine that had been lying on it perhaps. But of course it doesn't rub off and if you slide the plastic sleeve about to where the base of the sleeve meets Laura's bottom lip ( the picture of her sitting on the bed ) the face lines up with the same image of a face on said Laura picture. If that's clear? It's hard to explain without a picture perhaps.

Anyway, there's a face there looking rather anguished. A male face by the looks of it. Anyone know who it's supposed to be ?
" Diane, I'm holding in my hand, a box of small chocolate bunnies... "
jmichael
RR Diner Member

Post by jmichael »

I can't be sure without seeing it, but from your description it sounds like it might be Leland from the end of the film, before he enters the Red Room.

http://www.lynchnet.com/fwwm/pics/fwwm268.jpg
cubist
Roadhouse Member

Post by cubist »

It's BOB. Definitely.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I have this DVD. It's BOB.
The Magician
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Magician »

That picture jmichael posted a link to is definitely Leland, in very UN frightening make-up. It's just a perfect example of how that movie was not remotely scary, whereas the television series was terrifying. Ray Wise's own face can be much more disturbing than those black lips. This is just my opinion, of course.
Sometimes things can happen just like this. *snap*

J'ai une âme solitaire.
vancurenw
Roadhouse Member

Post by vancurenw »

I always hated the black-lipstick Leland face. It looks ridiculous. I understand the use of the image, and what it suggests, but the image itself looks a little silly. I'm sure it felt very silly for Ray Wise at the time, too.
leopheard

Re: Who's the ghostly face on my FWWM DVD box?

Post by leopheard »

First time I saw Laura in the black make-up in FWWM I absolutely did one!

So why would Leyland not be scary also?
garethw
RR Diner Member

Re:

Post by garethw »

vancurenw wrote:I always hated the black-lipstick Leland face. It looks ridiculous. I understand the use of the image, and what it suggests, but the image itself looks a little silly. I'm sure it felt very silly for Ray Wise at the time, too.
I kind of felt that way about the Phantom's distorted face in IE - the first time I saw it, it scared the hell out of me; the second, it just struck me as really goofy.

g
Azemaria Jones

Post by Azemaria Jones »

I see nothing like that...I have the french copy, maybe that why...How I have to make that exactly to see the face please ?
4_8_15_16_23_42
Ben Linus suporter.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

its amazing how BOB just isnt that scary in FWWM but he is defiantly haunting the entire tv series.
james
RR Diner Member

Re:

Post by james »

vancurenw wrote:I always hated the black-lipstick Leland face. It looks ridiculous. I understand the use of the image, and what it suggests, but the image itself looks a little silly. I'm sure it felt very silly for Ray Wise at the time, too.
I liked this effect. Personally I don't understand the image or what it suggests though! I don't see the effect as one intended to be a shocker, creating a feeling of jump-in-your-seat surprise, but more of an unsettling emotional effect happening there with that 'crude' make-up.

I get a feeling from it, something of a feeling of trauma, terror, terrible memories.

vancurenw, what does it suggest to you?
Christian1989
RR Diner Member

Post by Christian1989 »

Last edited by Christian1989 on Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Really? I find FWWM absolutely terrifying, including those faces. Especially when it's Laura's face in her scene with Harold Smith. Yikes!! And when Windom Earle has his last scene w/Leo Johnson in ep 28 (I think), and he also has the black & white make-up.
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
vancurenw
Roadhouse Member

Post by vancurenw »

I thought it was meant to convey the idea of evil possession. Sort of a glimpse at the "other side" of Leland, when he was being controlled by Bob. I like the idea, but the execution just looked a bit silly.