Previous Happenings in Twin Peaks History

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

coolspringsj
RR Diner Member
Location: RR Diner drinking coffee blacker than midnight on a moonless night

Previous Happenings in Twin Peaks History

Post by coolspringsj »

With these good and evil lodge spirits residing in the woods in Twin Peaks, don't you think this incident with Laura Palmer is not the first of its kind in this area? I would think older residents of the area would have experienced strange events as well. I just can't believe Laura Palmer is the first case of this type of Blue Rose case happening in Twin Peaks (and I mean besides the Teresa Banks case as well). I just have a hard time seeing Mike and Bob show up out of the blue to start tormenting Teresa, Leland, and Laura. It had to have gone on in the town's history prior to this case as well. What are your thoughts?
Welcome to amateur hour. Looks like an all-nighter, boys.
EZamor

Post by EZamor »

well, we can safely assume that some sorts of "evil" things have been going on for quite some time. we just don't know how these things manifested, or to what extent.

my guess is that the natives who did the cave paintings had figured out ways to control or manipulate the spirit/lodges. but the secrets probably got lost or obscured through time. judging by the cave device with the dial(?) and the owl, i think they left things under as much control as they could have.

...but we know how well under control. maybe the natives believed that a little bit of interaction from both of the lodges was necessary to maintain a good balance? or maybe they could only exert a certain amount of control?

we don't know, but it seems that recently things have been becoming more strange or more evil. recall jean renault's speech to cooper about coop "bringing evil with him." it could be that jean was just playing psychological games with cooper, but this does seem to indicate that even jean is aware of some kind of change taking place.

but why?

well, after the specific ways of the natives became lost over time, the Bookhouse Boys were founded to fight the "darkness surrounding the town." they knew something about the cave paintings--harry s. truman sure knew of their existence. so i'm sure some members came to (partially) interpret some of the various cave paintings at one time or another, and perhaps accidentally opened communication to the lodges in more recent times. or maybe it was deliberate--remember, hank was once a bookhouse boy, but became corrupt. did hank discover something?

or perhaps someone from project blue book (or whatever organization major briggs might have had ties to, knowingly or otherwise) inadvertently--or even intentionally--increased interaction between the people of twin peaks and the inhabitants of the lodges.

so i'm inclined to think that, yes, there have been strange and supernatural events going on in the area for centuries, but things only recently started getting worse or at least becoming more visible to the "normal" folks of twin peaks.
Last edited by EZamor on Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
coolspringsj
RR Diner Member

Post by coolspringsj »

Interesting stuff.

I want to know what happened to Leland when he was younger up at the Pearl Lakes.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

mike and bob were actual humans at one point though amiright? or have they been inhabiting spirits since the beginning of time?
coolspringsj
RR Diner Member

Post by coolspringsj »

I think they are spirits from a long time ago and another place. I don't think they were ever human. But why does Mike look like he does and Bob look like he does?
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

they do have modern day fashion choices, atleast for the 90's. also, keep in mind that it would have been revealed they came from a planet made of creamed corn... :twisted:
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Good post, EZamor. And welcome!

What seems a bit strange to me is the fact that Leland met Bob - or rather: Robertson - in the early 60s but didn't kill anyone until 1988. Even his abuse of Laura happened the last 5 years. Was he an evil and scheming kid? Did he help Ben Horne scam money? (Financial intrigue seems a bit trivial for Bob.)

What happened from 1960-1984?

About the Mike/Bob relation I posted some thoughts on that on page 11 of the "Let's talk changes" thread.
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
EZamor

Post by EZamor »

Evenreven wrote:Good post, EZamor. And welcome!

What seems a bit strange to me is the fact that Leland met Bob - or rather: Robertson - in the early 60s but didn't kill anyone until 1988. Even his abuse of Laura happened the last 5 years. Was he an evil and scheming kid? Did he help Ben Horne scam money? (Financial intrigue seems a bit trivial for Bob.)

What happened from 1960-1984?

About the Mike/Bob relation I posted some thoughts on that on page 11 of the "Let's talk changes" thread.
thanks for the warm welcome, even! :)

hmm...i somehow think that the lodge inhabitants somehow change over time--or at least some of them do. bob, for example...

i think bob was a living person who's soul got taken over by the black lodge (though he was most likely a "bad" person prior to that). once he crossed over, he was no longer a living human being, but a black lodge spirit. if that's the case, who knows when that changeover occured.

who was the bob that leland saw when he was young? probably the living bob that mike/OAM "did evil" with. so even though leland saw bob when he was young (when bob was probably already influenced by the black lodge) he didn't become posessed by bob until shortly before he/they murdered theresa banks (and after bob, the human, died and became killer bob, the black lodge spirit).

mike is a different story. i think he is a physical human being who only partially became possessed by a black lodge spirit/spirits. he cut off the arm, splitting himself in two, so that's why he can be a black lodge spirit AND a physical human being at the same time.

and i guess the arm is also in individual black lodge spirit.
leopheard

Re: Previous Happenings in Twin Peaks History

Post by leopheard »

Don't forget in episode 27 or so a number of residents of TP (Peter Martel, strange diner lady) & Cooper get a strange hand trembling. They all seem to be taken aback by it at first, but then secretly cover it up without anyone watching.

Then, at the end of the episode, BOB's hand appears just above the oil pit (similar movements) at the exit to the black lodge. I'm not too sure why as he does not appear to leave/enter the lodge in that episode or even the next one.

Perhaps BOB has, or still does inhabit all of TP's residents from time to time, and it was a reminder to them all that he was coming soon. Maybe he was choosing his next victim, bearing in mind that the last person we see with the tremble is Cooper?
The Magician
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Magician »

I like the idea that BOB was a human at one time, because I am under the impression that the Black Lodge is Hell. The fact that "Robertson" and Mike could have been doing ill deeds together before death is a fascinating idea! I love how this show keeps on giving. Perhaps BOB has risen to power in the ranks of the Black Lodge due to his penchant for collecting fear through Leland.

And I am correct in assuming we never "see" Mike, at least not in the same way we see BOB and The Giant. To say that Phillip Gerrard is what Mike looks like would be like saying Leland Palmer is was BOB looks like.

Oh, and the creamed corn planet is absurd. I definitely do not include season 3 ideas into my theories, but then again, I also don't count Fire Walk With Me into my theories. :twisted:
Sometimes things can happen just like this. *snap*

J'ai une âme solitaire.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

I've also never been sure of what to make of the BOB/MIKE, Bobby/Mike parallels. Mike Nelson was clearly important to Lynch as he turns up in just about all the episodes he directed. You have BOB and MIKE who were killers together until MIKE saw the face of God, cut his arm off, etc. and became a good guy while BOB kept killing. And then you had Bobby and Mike who were partners in drug dealing together until they had their frightening encounter with Leo in the woods, after which Mike swears off their criminal activities ("Goddammit, I'm done, Bobby.") Made me wonder if Bobby and Mike were somehow a real-world manifestation of the Lodge spirits that share their names. Surely it can't be a coincidence, right?
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
crazyscottishguy
RR Diner Member

Post by crazyscottishguy »

i always wondered why MIKE's real face was never shown. I mean we get to see BOB, but we never see MIKE's real "face" revealed. anybody thought that?