Just what IS it about this show...

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

The Magician
Roadhouse Member

Just what IS it about this show...

Post by The Magician »

... that sends shivers down your spine when you're lying in bed at night? What is it that makes you stifle a laugh when you're at work. What is it that makes you cry when you look out the window and see the moon shining in the sky.

I'm sure most of you feel similar, but Twin Peaks is by far my favorite show ever made (quite possibly my favorite artistic creation of any kind), but why is it? Just what is it that's so good?

It is definitely an accumulation of many things, and I would love to dissect and explain them all. But some of you go first. Just what is it about this show that makes you talk about it on a message board almost 20 years later?
Sometimes things can happen just like this. *snap*

J'ai une âme solitaire.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

For me it's really just down to the fact that it's just wonderful escapism. I love that I can pop in any random episode and just wrap myself up in that Twin Peaks mood. The atmosphere is definitely the thing that does it for me, a sort of synthesis of the warm color scheme, the camerawork, the pacing, the lighting, the clothes, the locations, the strange off-kilter dialogue, and, most importantly, the music. It really doesn't matter which storylines are going on; it's the sensuous, dark, dreamy feel of the show that always brings me back. I hear the first strains of Angelo's theme and BAM, I just feel completely transported into this strange little fairy tale world that exists in a corner of Washington State. And the imagery and audio (dialogue, music, etc.) are just so beautiful to me, more so than any other TV show.

I also think that part of the reason Twin Peaks has stayed alive so long in the fan community is because there so many dangling loose ends, it gives you so much "room to dream," as David Lynch likes to say. Who was the shadowy figure lurking behind the tree when Bobby met Leo in the woods? Why were people's hands shaking in Episode 27? Who survived the bank explosion and who died? What's going to happen to Coop? And how's Annie?? We'll never know, and in a way that's wonderful because we'll always have something to talk about!

I also kinda like Twin Peaks because it feels, in a funny way, like my little secret to share. Most of my friends were really too young to get into it when it was first on and never saw it (or only have vague recollections), so there's nothing I love more than sitting them down and showing them the pilot and seeing their reaction to it. It's not like Friends or Seinfeld, which everybody and their mother has seen. Twin Peaks feels like a special experience I can share. And because it's so unique and original, it always prompts good conversation afterwards because everybody reacts so differently to it. And it's sooo satisfying when they start begging to borrow the episodes in rapid succession and begging you to give a hint as to who the killer is... :)

So yeah, sorry to be long-winded, but like you said, it's a lot of things! It's scary as hell, hilariously funny, completely absurd, deeply moving, sexy, romantic, and usually all of those things at the exact same time. How many other TV shows can claim that?
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
My0wl

Re: Just what IS it about this show...

Post by My0wl »

When I'm in a hurry and can't be bothered...

I just say to people....
"It's a bit like coronation street or eastenders...just,kind of like...with dark forces in it"

:x 8) :o
Fire
Roadhouse Member

Re: Just what IS it about this show...

Post by Fire »

I've never liked TV and have only been fond of so many movies, but Twin Peaks is just something else. Explaining to people just exactly what that something else is has always been a subject I've wrestled with and never really came to a satisfactory answer. I usually just end up with "I can't explain it!"

One thing is for sure, the creation and universe that is Twin Peaks has pierced my soul, inhabited my spirit, and is constantly on my mind. Whether it's in the forefront of my thinking or nestled in it's corner, I am literally always thinking of Twin Peaks in some way shape or form.

There's just something about it...