Fire Walk With Me Font

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

oglaf

Re: Fire Walk With Me Font

Post by oglaf »

Titles for TP:FWWM are ITC Franklin Gothic Demi Compressed Italic in all caps, scaled to 120% of the standard X-height for the typeface. This was a little tricky.

Titles for Twin Peaks (1990) are ITC Avant Garde Gothic Demi Condensed. The capital R and lowercase a are dead giveaways.

I have no information on the fonts used for the revival. I would expect changes--slight changes perhaps, but changes nonetheless. It's a different show.
CuriousWoman
Roadhouse Member

Post by CuriousWoman »

oglaf wrote:Titles for TP:FWWM are ITC Franklin Gothic Demi Compressed Italic in all caps, scaled to 120% of the standard X-height for the typeface. This was a little tricky.

Titles for Twin Peaks (1990) are ITC Avant Garde Gothic Demi Condensed. The capital R and lowercase a are dead giveaways.

I have no information on the fonts used for the revival. I would expect changes--slight changes perhaps, but changes nonetheless. It's a different show.
So it seems that the openings are using the original series font while the endings use FWWM ones, right?

Incidently, does someone knows the Lodge's subtitles font?

Did someone identify the font for the FWWM pole "6" number which seems to be the police on the electrical outlets from Part 3?
Little Pine Cone
Roadhouse Member

Post by Little Pine Cone »

Meanwhile.

There is a TP title generator here:
http://djallo.se/twinpeaks/title/
CuriousWoman
Roadhouse Member

Post by CuriousWoman »

After some research I identified the origin of the pole number prop which also seem to be the source for the numbers seen in Part3, so I think that there is a connection. (I won't post picture of them or post theories since we are in a non spoiler thread, though you could note that season 3's version of the number five apparently has the bottom hole higher than the one you can buy now).

Sadly, it seems to be a design created by the seller company and not an actual font you could install on your computer or something (unless someone decides to make one now, obviously).

Movie's version:

and the picture for the Hillman Group's 4'' Black Die-Cast Aluminum Numbers (they also sell plastic, brass and wood versions but they don't fit the texture of the pole sign) :

Bonus: the existing letters in this font
CuriousWoman
Roadhouse Member

Post by CuriousWoman »

OK, double post I guess but I found an actual font name for those old ornamental house numbers. It seems that I was mistaken in what I thought was the source of the prop.

A typeface named Bayside is a computer usable font reproducing the original numbers produced around 1928 by H. W. Knight & Son of Seneca Falls, New York along with comon variants.

Sadely I haven't found the font for the Red Room subtitles (be it ep3, ep29, FWWM, TMP or the revival)