Let's talk changes: how would you change FWWM?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

iar
RR Diner Member

Re: Let's talk changes: how would you change FWWM?

Post by iar »

After a few years of leaving FWWM in the cupboard, I decided it was time to watch it again. As I previously mentioned, I was rather taken-aback the first time I watched, and not all in a good way. For those who haven't read my earlier posts; I was primarily irritated with the lack of continuity.

This time, I went into it with an open mind, determined to overlook some of the continuity issues and let this film stand.. not alone, but at a further distance from the series.

I must say that I now feel A LOT better about it. Once I accepted that Twin Peaks looked slightly different, and that we would not see some central characters, I could get on with the story at hand. I don't think I'll ever feel entirely comfortable with Twin Peaks being in a different place, but as was previously discussed, if the shots are colour corrected, it will go a long way.

Anyway, my main observations are that MK does a great job, and I don't really miss LFB too much. Sheryl Lee is excellent, and I am so glad that she had the opportunity to do this film or we may never have seen such a great performance. I see why Lynch thought so much of her. I actually think it's one of the finest performances of any female actress in a Lynch film. For me, it sits alongside Naomi Watts in MD.

I had forgotten how dark and terrifying certain parts of FWWM are. I see some people discussing Laura's darkness and madness. I absolutely LOVED that we saw this side of her because I think it underlines the point that the series is about everyone's perception of Laura Palmer, and not the reality. The whole series is dominated by an image of an angelic Laura in a prom picture. That image is gradually dismantled throughout, and FWWM is the final destruction. Also, as somebody mentioned, this is Laura's last 7 days after 4-ish years of abuse, which probably accounts for the lack of sanity in her character.

I thoroughly enjoy the way that Lynch creates utter terror in his films. It's not conventional, it's not horror.. it's a deep discomfort that somehow connects to our daily lives. I think it's because Lynch's nightmares so often occur in domestic settings, or dream settings. FWWM might be an example of him doing this best. For example, BOB searching for Laura's diary.. the way that Frank Silva is crouched in that void in the wall is utterly terrifying. I appreciate that not everyone liked that Lynch changed the tone of Twin Peaks, but personally, I enjoy that side of his film making.

Finally, there are a few things that I still can't dispel from my mind. I miss Audrey Horne. There's a shot of Laura's last day at school which echoes the shot of her empty seat in the first episode. James is sat in his usual place... but there's no Audrey! To me, it detracts from the scene because the fact of her absence is more striking than Laura's obvious mental deterioration in the classroom.

I also feel that the link between Laura and Teresa Palmer is confusing, as is the story behind the 'ring'. (It's possible that this is the result of missing footage.) Lastly, I think that some of the other characters have to be re-introduced into this narrative, if only to re-create the 'feeling' of Twin Peaks which is largely lost due to the change of location. In particular, the Sheriff's station (and characters) and the Great Northern (and characters).
GeekBoyEric74
RR Diner Member

Post by GeekBoyEric74 »

I've always loved the movie, but the somewhat erratic continuity kinda always bugged me. Mostly because they are very good about continuity in some instances. I always assumed Audrey WAS in the classroom scene....we just didn't see her (everyone except Laura is blurry and out of focus in that scene anway) The movie does such a good job of recreating a lot of what the series said Laura did in her final night, that the things we don't see stand out more. Her relationship to Dr. Jacoby not even being mentioned, nor her relationship to the Horne family, are glaring examples of sloppy continuity.

However, As time has passed, I find myself not missing the majority of the missing scenes. It seems that Lynch and Robert Engels were not interested in integrating so many of the key players from the series into the story of Laura Palmer at even the script level. The show established that everyone in town knew Laura at least on a casual basis. Instead we get scenes of the Sheriff's station crew, Pete Martell, Ed and Nadine etc totally divorced from the narrative. It really is just sloppy writing. Especially with characters like Josie....if you are gonna get Joan Chen to do a part in the movie, why not a scene with Laura, her tutor? (although for all we know, that actually was filmed. I know some non scripted scenes were filmed) The movie was about Laura...everything needed to relate to her in some way. No wonder those scenes were cut.

Btw...does anyone know if the scenes with the Horne family (sans Ben) were even filmed?
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

I would change 4 things:

1. Laura's wig (horrible).
2. Donna (I never accepted Moira as Donna).
3. train scene (it's not so good compared to sequence in ep 8 )
4. I wish some of the deleted scenes would be included (Jeffries, Cable fight scene and many others...)
kyuzo
Roadhouse Member

Post by kyuzo »

For me, the best part of the film were the black lodge / little man mike scenes. The music and footage for philip jeffries scene is the best/most trippiest part of the movie. Having read the script for the deleted scenes and other sources it appears there were originally 20 minutes of film in the Philip Jeffries sequence, but only 4 minutes of it was released in the film. I think including the deleted scenes would be the most important aspect for improving the film. Reading the script for me was like filling in the gaps of missing footage that is not yet released, especially with characters such as the little boy and his grandmother (tremonds). An example of another Lynch film where this holds true is Dune. The original version was good but I think Dune Alternative edition v2 by spicedriver is way better. It includes about 40 minutes of deleted footage and the movie is much more exciting to watch that way. It would certainly add greater depth to the FWWM/Twin Peaks universe to some day release the deleted scenes, whether they were incorporated into the film in their original sequence when released or later on by fans (as in the case of Dune) would not matter as much.
The black dog runs at night.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Resurrecting this old thread and am curious what other discrepancies between the Series and the film bug people. The obvious ones from this thread, MK versus LFB, Palmer Home, Norma's Hair, different Smith residence, and even different color lockers at TP High School.

Any others?
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

dugpa wrote:Resurrecting this old thread and am curious what other discrepancies between the Series and the film bug people. The obvious ones from this thread, MK versus LFB, Palmer Home, Norma's Hair, different Smith residence, and even different color lockers at TP High School.

Any others?
I wish they could have used jacque's cabin from the series. I also wish I could see FWWM with the right color correction. The summer hues feel incredibly wrong to me.
perno
Roadhouse Member

Post by perno »

FWWM is my very favourite movie. :)
I wouldn't change anything except for one major continuity problem : the Leo's bloody shirt problem as it is a main issue in the show although the movie shows something very different...

I'm fine with everything else even if the movie has some other mistakes or defaults.
I epoh uoy nac dnatsrednu ym hsilgnE.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Brad,

I agree with both. Luckily there is a decent UK disc from second sight that used the theatrical print as the master. Not the best transfer but colors and audio are spot on.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

perno wrote:FWWM is my very favourite movie. :)
I wouldn't change anything except for one major continuity problem : the Leo's bloody shirt problem as it is a main issue in the show although the movie shows something very different...

I'm fine with everything else even if the movie has some other mistakes or defaults.
Yeah. That was one that they must have forgotten.
perno
Roadhouse Member

Post by perno »

Yes but it is rather strange as the shirt is shown at the very begining of the show and is closely related to Jacques' death at the end of first season. How the hell could they forget that point ?!

Stranger yet, part of the story told in the show is "right". Jacques says Leo hit him for fun. The movie shows us that it was Leland in fact. As Jacques is drunk and drugged, we can assume the mistake was easy to make. No problem about this one.
So, the bleeding of Jacques is explained.

Problem is "how does the blood come to Leo's shirt ?"
The movie clearly shows that Leo leaves the place with a clean shirt...
I epoh uoy nac dnatsrednu ym hsilgnE.
The Double R
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Double R »

I am not sure if this has been mentioned but piggy backing off the last comment, I am also a sucker for continuity between series and movie.

The last time we see Ronette in the movie, Leland kicks her over to check on the body. It is clear from the lighting in the scene that she is wearing panty hose. In the series when she is walking across the bridge, she obviously isn't.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Laura is wearing different underwear when discovered in the Pilot. I tend to notice these things.

I wanted to see Laura teaching English to Josie.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

The Double R wrote:I am not sure if this has been mentioned but piggy backing off the last comment, I am also a sucker for continuity between series and movie.

The last time we see Ronette in the movie, Leland kicks her over to check on the body. It is clear from the lighting in the scene that she is wearing panty hose. In the series when she is walking across the bridge, she obviously isn't.
Maybe they were torn off in the deleted scene where just before Ronette walks to the bridge she gets attacked by a pack of angry pine weasels.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Jerry Horne wrote:Laura is wearing different underwear when discovered in the Pilot. I tend to notice these things.

I wanted to see Laura teaching English to Josie.
I too would have loved to see scenes between Josie and Laura.

Now thanks to your other observation I don't think I can watch those scenes without thinking what a sick bastard you are. LOL. ;)
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

Laura's last visit with Jacoby would have been pretty cool..even if it was a wham-bam kick ass scene like with Harold. or even just one cold stare down with her and Audrey... oh, the possibilities. :(