Let's talk changes: how would you change FWWM?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

marchug
RR Diner Member
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Let's talk changes: how would you change FWWM?

Post by marchug »

the first time i watched fwwm i HATED it. it was so dark and so different and pretty much devoid of humour after the teresa banks part of the story. it was a rehash of everything i already knew but obviously from lauras point of view. i guess i found everything after the teresa banks part of the story unnecessary.

then i watched it again and liked it. then i read the script and really liked it. i watched it many times after that and fell in love with it...

i haven't watched it for many years and just finished a twin peaks marathon ending with fwwm. you know what? i kinda hated it again!

i got so into the whole chet desmond / fat trout trailer park / sam stanly mystery and how it was connecting that when desmond disappears and the last seven days of laura palmer starts... i felt really annoyed. then it was just 90 minutes of despair....

-

so after trying to read through the 35 pages of how would you change season 2, and my recent reaction to FWWM - i thought about what would i change about FWWM and wondered what other people would change...

for me - i think i just want to know more about the teresa banks story and those characters who were involved. i already knew about laura and her descent....

alright. anyone else?
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

not so sure i'd change anything about FWWM, but i would love another movie to cap off the saga.
charles
RR Diner Member

Post by charles »

Last edited by charles on Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

shudder -the wig! And am I the only one who thinks Laura looks like a linebacker pro football player? She's huge -I never buy that she just doesn't beat the shit out of Bob, or any of the others. And god, too much screaming and yelling. I like the movie much more than I did in the theater -but God, I remember at the time, I was thinking, "God, Laura just shut up and die already." I actually like the first half a lot now, and love the part with the waitress with Chet and Sam, "Who's the tow-head?"
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

I wouldn't change anything. It's a perfect movie, in my opinion. I don't even mind the wig. Even if I agree that it's disappointing that the Desmond investigation ends so soon, it would be better served by a different film, in my opinion. "Twin Peaks: Judy", perhaps?

Actually there is one thing I would change... I would remove Annie, but only if I was allowed to remove her from the series first. It's actually a very good scene in the film.
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
james
RR Diner Member

Post by james »

Twin Peaks: Judy, boy that movie sounds like a turkey!
marchug
RR Diner Member
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by marchug »

yes, i found the wig to be pretty distracting but my gal actually stopped watching the laura palmer part of the story because she couldn't take it seriously at all...
james
RR Diner Member

Post by james »

Sorry about my comment about Judy!

I'd make the whole prologue section into the main part of the film, basically. Looking back, that's the most watchable part of the whole film for me.

It would be very cool if Lynch filmed something like the whole prologue section again, its one of the most interesting things in any of his films I feel.
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

Frankly I love the movie the way it is and so I wouldn't change anything about it. But I'd definetly also like to see another movie about Twin Peaks even though I doubt that it'll happen.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Not a Thing

Post by underthefan »

I too actually love the movie as it is. I saw it first when I was 12 and it has had me enthralled ever since. Not meaning to sound like DL, but I really do love this world and I love Laura and strongly empathize with her in her journey. Her solitude, loneliness and conflict of a range of emotions.

And what is not to love in the movie? Incredible performances, especially be Sheryl and Ray? Moira Kelly, who I think, seems a much more natural fit for Donna (especially if you have read Laura's secret diary) than Lara? Striking cinematography? Painstaking sound design, by Lynch himself? How about the Washington State settings?

But what I appreciate the most is the film's mixture of beauty, horror, mystery and sadness. Even if you don't like it, you can't deny the unique experience the film guides you through. It has inspired me in a large part in becoming a filmmaker.

And you know what else, I know you're gonna laugh, but... I kind of don't mind the wig. At all. :-)
lynched+skinned

Post by lynched+skinned »

Her smile. The one she attempts to make. I wasn't sure if Lynch wanted us to laugh at this point or get some sort of dark foreshadowing about the character?
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Which smile? At the end? Or before?

(I love your avatar, by the way. Wanderland rules.)
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
lynched+skinned

Post by lynched+skinned »

Evenreven wrote:Which smile? At the end? Or before?

(I love your avatar, by the way. Wanderland rules.)
The smirk/grin/half smile Laura gives at the beginning on the campus.

(Thank you. Kelis is one of my favs.)
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

I wouldn't change the film at all, although I'd love to see one more film to tie everything up.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

As far as I'm concerned, there is not one note that rings false in Sheryl Lee's performance. Lynch and Lee must have done a lot of research into the behavior of victims of child abuse and all of if makes perfect psychological sense.