Lynch lifted the whole idea for TP from an Italian giallo!

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

james
RR Diner Member

Lynch lifted the whole idea for TP from an Italian giallo!

Post by james »

http://giallo-fever.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... rosso.html

You can't deny some glaring similarities! I don't think there is such a thing as a bad coincidence.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

"No such thing as a bad coincidence?" Who is this? Obi-Wan Kenobi? :lol:
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Re: Lynch lifted the whole idea for TP from an Italian giall

Post by Evenreven »

To elaborate...

When you have a (1) teenage girl found dead, (2) secret diaries and (3) trench coat-clad investigators must be considered pretty much de rigueur. Having (4) friends who knows what she was up to isn't really that exciting either. Nothing unusual so far. The things that stand out are (5) being wrapped in plastic, and (6) prostitution ring run from a store in town.

But still, I mean, all these plot conventions are pretty common. The (7) large sum of money probably most of all. Do you really think Lynch and Frost would have called a character Teresa if they meant to steal a whole story and get away with it? First rule of nicking stories: hide it.

I disagree with you - and Obi-Wan - that there is no such thing as a bad coincidence. While Lynch says he likes b-movies, he's also said he's never been a cinéaste, and I've never got the impression he's been much into Italian cinema. Not to mention Frost must have seen it too.
Christian1989
RR Diner Member

Post by Christian1989 »

Evenreven wrote:"No such thing as a bad coincidence?" Who is this? Obi-Wan Kenobi? :lol:
I think james is quoting one of the detectives from Lost Highway.
james
RR Diner Member

Post by james »

In LYNCH ON LYNCH, have you read it (?) - Lynch says how much he loves Fellini and how they both share a birthday.

You really think Lynch hasn't even glanced at this film? It isn't really a steal, that's a joke. It may have come up unknowingly though as inspiration, even if this isn't really what you would call a 'good' film.

Even though Lynch says he isn't a 'cineaste' I can imagine he enjoys watching trashy films/B movies but maybe he just lets them wash over him like the average viewer. By saying he isn't a cineaste doesn't he just mean that he isn't that knowlegeable about films?
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Aah, alright. I haven't seen Lost Highway in a while. :)

Yes, I really think he hasn't even seen it. I think the motifs pretty much lead to another when you start with a dead teenager involved in prostitution. Wrapped in plastic - a good way of showing something scary without really showing it. Secret diaries - obvious. A mysterious killer - check. I could go on.

Fellini is something else, in a way - he was a celebrity. Satyricon was a massive hit about the time Lynch went to art school and made his first films.
james
RR Diner Member

Post by james »

Really? So you believe Lynch would watch films based on Fellini being a celebrity?

As I see it, Lynch may not approach films with a critical radar, looking more for inspiration than for a 'great film'. I know he loves Fellini for their creation of an insipring world but let's face it, very few films are on that level of uniqueness.

I'm intrigued by Lynch's use of Freddie Francis and his previous work on Hammer horror films...who's to say Lynch wasn't handed videos of film oddities in the past, especially horror ones? I believe the likelihood that Lynch has seen this film is high. I'm not honestly saying he stole any ideas though!

I've never seen any other films where a girl is found wrapped in plastic...can you tell me any others?

I know there's Rivers Edge by Tim Hunter, whose episodes on the show you didn't seem to like, which features a girl by a river in a very similar manner to Twin Peaks. But that girl was just naked.

I know Lynch liked Rivers Edge, so surely any other film like this Italian B-movie would have been of interest?
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

No, I don't think he went to see Fellini films because of Fellini's celebrity status. I mean he was an intellectual celebrity, not unlike David Lynch is today. The kind of films intellectuals and not-so-intellectuals talk about.

I'm just saying what I think. Which is I simply don't think he's seen it. We're talking about a pretty obscure flick here. It's not well-regarded; it's made by a director who made only one film; and it's Italian. I personally don't think it's likely.

Your last point I don't get at all. Lynch saw River's Edge - a pretty well-known film by any standard - that helps in what way exactly? Because I saw The Big Chill once, that makes it more likely that I have seen Herzog's Woyzeck? He likes one film, so surely other films must have been of interest? I don't get it.
james
RR Diner Member

Post by james »

My point wasn't very logical I know. I was just imagining that if Lynch liked Rivers Edge he may have at some time noticed this film where a girl is found wrapped in plastic.

Are there any other films where a victim is found wrapped in plastic?

I don't know if this film is really THAT obscure. I would imagine it has been shown on American TV quite a bit.

I don't understand where your opinion, of course I realise it is that, comes from in guessing that he hasn't seen this film?

Would you think he hasn't any interest in such a pulpy film, or an Italian one? Maybe he's just seen the opening, where the body is shown wrapped up.

Or would it taint your view of Twin Peaks if you knew Lynch had seen this film?

Lynch has said around Eraserhead he went through a period of watching a certain soap or other a lot. Similarly, he likes continuing stories. A lot of the giallo films all had a variation on one theme, a kind of continuing story in different forms. This film was part of a trilogy of some sort I think, too.

I just don't think this film is so obscure that Lynch might not have stumbled across it in some way, even if he just walked past a TV showing it.
Pete Martell
RR Diner Member

Re: Lynch lifted the whole idea for TP from an Italian giallo!

Post by Pete Martell »

I agree with James.Lynch's interest and appreciation of the Italian cinema is well-known.He said that he admires Mario Bava too.It's not easy to come up with a totally original idea.The years of the cinema evolution become more as time is passing,therefore being original gets harder day by day.