Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray Official Discussion Thread - Spoilers

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray DVD Discussion

Post by Henrys Hair »

My wish list would be...

Deleted scenes from FWMM
Deleted scenes from Pilot & Season 1
Deleted scenes from Season 2

The higher the quality the better, although even the lowest quality is far better than none.

Have any deleted scenes from Season 2 ever surfaced (or are known to exist)?

The Season 1 dvd had great little notes explaining where extra material had to be cut or was planned to go, but the Season 2 dvd didn't continue with them.
piero
RR Diner Member

Post by piero »

I'm back from the Uk Festival and Madchen Amick said something interesting about a "behind the scene" from the 2nd episode where Leo hits her with the soup in the sock...she said "maybe you'll see that in the next edition of twin peaks!
Roomservice...
John Neff
Roadhouse Member

Post by John Neff »

Wow, what a thread! So much hope. So much speculation. So much envisioning.
Well, here is what I know...

For the initial New Line DVD release of FWWM (either the first or second of his films I mixed in 5.1), they wanted to include
'deleted scenes'. Now remember, this was 1998 or 1999, the beginning of the DVD era.
So Dave had Duwayne Dunham order up work print footage from the picture and put it up on the KEM flatbed film editor.
Dunham went through all the footage shot and identified 29 that he thought would stand up for a 'Features' section of a DVD.
Now I do not remember the exact number Dave approved, but if you say it was 17, then it was 17.
But truthfully, the 'one light' non-color corrected workprint looked nothing like the finished film, and the production audio alone was miserable.
So Dave said the only way he would approve and allow inclusion of extra scenes onto the DVD was if New Line would pay to have some new music, color correction and sound design, full 5.1 theatrical mixing done to the scenes. He said otherwise the deleted scenes would 'putrify' the movie and ruin it. Now that many scenes are about a quarter or a third of the picture length.
I did the sound budget, the office did the editorial/color budget, and it came out to something around $180,000.00. Well New Line, who made their employees bring sack lunches to work, completely nixed the whole thing!
They would not pay, but wanted the scenes anyway.
Dave refused and that was that.
I saw the scenes, because I had to estimate sound costs per scene, but I no longer have my notes and do not remember which were the ones Dave wanted to include.
Same for Blue Velvet.
rewak
RR Diner Member

Post by rewak »

kafard
RR Diner Member

Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray DVD Discussion

Post by kafard »

I saw this yesterday Rewak, 10 blu-ray? Only with 6/7 blu-ray the entire serie can be in the boxset. 10 blu-ray seems to me too much, strange.. We will see :)
A french little guy named : Dam.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

John Neff wrote: But truthfully, the 'one light' non-color corrected workprint looked nothing like the finished film, and the production audio alone was miserable.
So Dave said the only way he would approve and allow inclusion of extra scenes onto the DVD was if New Line would pay to have some new music, color correction and sound design, full 5.1 theatrical mixing done to the scenes. He said otherwise the deleted scenes would 'putrify' the movie and ruin it. Now that many scenes are about a quarter or a third of the picture length.
I did the sound budget, the office did the editorial/color budget, and it came out to something around $180,000.00.
This is exactly why I am still skeptical that the deleted scenes are coming. Did someone pony up that kind of money? Are people actually working on these scenes? The music? The audio? etc.

You would think we would have heard something concrete if all of this work was happening.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

John Neff wrote: Dunham went through all the footage shot and identified 29 that he thought would stand up for a 'Features' section of a DVD.
Now I do not remember the exact number Dave approved, but if you say it was 17, then it was 17.
Thanks for the information, John. Always appreciated! I'm crossing my fingers that, fifteen years later, David will look at all 29 scenes again and decide he wants to release all of them. :wink:

I like that number too. There are 29 episodes in the TV series. 29 deleted scenes from the movie.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Ross wrote: This is exactly why I am still skeptical that the deleted scenes are coming. Did someone pony up that kind of money? Are people actually working on these scenes? The music? The audio? etc.

You would think we would have heard something concrete if all of this work was happening.
I bet they don't want to publicize it until closer to the release date, so there can be a lot of buzz when a legitimate press announcement happens. That's smarter.

If they did make a deal to do this (and I think there was some confirmation of at least a deal being struck), it's possible David hasn't even started the work on the scenes yet. Who knows. But I have a strong feeling these are getting released sometime in 2014. And I'm psyched!
GeekBoyEric74
RR Diner Member

Post by GeekBoyEric74 »

Ross wrote:
John Neff wrote: But truthfully, the 'one light' non-color corrected workprint looked nothing like the finished film, and the production audio alone was miserable.
I did the sound budget, the office did the editorial/color budget, and it came out to something around $180,000.00.
This is exactly why I am still skeptical that the deleted scenes are coming. Did someone pony up that kind of money? Are people actually working on these scenes? The music? The audio? etc.

Well, here's why I'm not as skeptical. It's CBS Digital that will be doing all the restoration work (since they're the current rights holders) and right now they've got a round' the clock operation going on two years straight, taking the raw 35mm footage from Star Trek: The Next Generation, and color timing, scoring and editing it for HD release on Blu-ray. Over 178 hours worth of footage mind you. Since this is the same team presumably who will be doing the release for Twin Peaks, an hour's worth of footage from a movie of the same vintage shouldn't be that much of a task, not with the set up they've got going on there. If CBS Digital didn't have the infrastructure that this whole Star Trek remastering project has allowed them, I'd be more skeptical, but they do.

Also, most importantly, at San Diego Comic Con last July I was told by Rob Burnett (the special features producer for the Star Trek: TNG Blu-rays) that not only were the rights to Fire Walk With Me cleared, but that the deleted scenes would be included as well. Bill Hunt of the Digitalbits.com confirmed the same thing to me. They told me to keep it more or less on the DL (otherwise I would have blabbed it here on day one) but recently Bill Hunt has all but confirmed the story on his own site, so I guess the cat's out of the bag now. If anyone would know, it would be these two guys...especially Burnett, as he works for CBS Digital on Trek. (But please, don't start bombarding his twitter with questions he's probably not allowed to answer; I don't want him to hate me now lol) Not saying things couldn't change from now till then, but the Magic 8 Ball says things are looking better than ever for those scenes showing up.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Has the Amazon France listing been pulled?
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
rewak
RR Diner Member

Post by rewak »

Yeah, so either it was a complete mistake OR they weren't meant to publish it yet. I can tell you it was set for release on the 25th March, 10 Blu-Rays, priced at €69.99. The listing is still on BluRay.com though http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Twin-Peak ... ray/91750/
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

I've basically called time on DVDs and only buy HD material. Given how appallingly the industry has handled education of the buying public about high definition, catalogue title TV show Blu-rays can be hard to find here in the UK (if I want a British show like the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes on Blu-ray, I have to import it from Spain!)

My rule is that I buy titles that I consider 'important' on Blu-ray (Lynch's stuff, Apocalypse Now, The Godfather films, that sort of thing) and the rest come from iTunes or I watch them on Netflix.

Twin Peaks, more than any other show, I've wanted on Blu-ray. I've got the DVD Gold Box set (imported from the US for me as a present by some friends, as it took years to arrive here after its US launch) but this new set sounds like exactly the gift (to myself) I've been waiting for. And, if we get the deleted scenes, all the better. I've wanted to see them ever since I read the script years ago!

If you ask me, should the scenes not be available, it's time a Kickstarter was started by Mr Lynch. We all know Veronica Mars has done amazingly and even Arrow's intended Region B release of Walerian Borowczyk's films has benefited from a Kickstarter boost to restore Goto, Island of Love http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/380 ... tore-goto?. In about three weeks, the Goto project has achieved nearly the £20,000 needed to restore the film. So I think, one way or another, we'll see the scenes one day!!
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

:D

I'm excited!
rewak
RR Diner Member

Post by rewak »

Someone in the UK section of the BluRay forums has posted saying the UK release is set for the 24th March from Paramount.

EDIT - And now on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Twin-Peaks-Coll ... B00H9BFV98
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

You can now pre-order at the above link!!