Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray Official Discussion Thread - Spoilers

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Re: Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray DVD Official Discussion Thread

Post by bosguy1981 »

Montana wrote:
nemo wrote: Besides I'd like to express my concern about 90 min. length of the deleted scenes. From Blu-ray description follows, that we're going to see NOT ONLY a series of single deleted scenes, but also extended scenes. So the actual running time of never seen material can be less than expected.
Yikes! That is not such good news. If the 90min consists of deleted scenes and extended scenes in their entirety then we'll not have that much new material.
Don't be concerned. It's still a ton of new stuff :wink:

And just based on what's been shown in the trailer, some of the extended scenes are things like the RR Diner scene and the Log Lady/Laura & Ronette and Philip Jeffries. If you think about how those scenes are structured in the screenplay, he wouldn't be able to show us the great deleted bits at all unless he did also include the fragments that wound up in the movie. Think of Jeffries in Buenos Aires... Lynch would have to re-include that little section of Jeffries coming out of the elevator and walking into Gordon's office. So technically that's an extended scene but only because of that little fragment being there again. Same for Laura's visit to Bobby's house (where his parents are in the scene). Only a little fragment of the visit to Bobby made it in the movie, so technically that will be considered an extended scene but the majority of it was a deleted scene.
Been Weeks

Post by Been Weeks »

i would like to see FWWM and the new Extended/Deleted Scenes as a whole thing.

i hope someone will make a recut, and yes i ordered the BluRay set already.

personally i never liked the extended/deleted Scenes seperately, i prefer DVDs and BluRays that
give me the selection if i want to see the original cut or the directors/alternative cut.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Chareth wrote: Regarding the upgraded picture quality on certain scenes: I wonder, now that CBS Digital is so active creating digital effects for Star Trek, whether they've gone back in and made BOB appear from the carpet in the scary way he was always meant to.
I thought about that too.
At least they could fix the effect to make the stain look like blood. The way it is looks like a shadow, and then a water leak.
Pretty unlikely they'd change anything, since Lynch is not too crazy about changes in his finished work. Oh well
bosguy1981 wrote:
Montana wrote:
nemo wrote: Besides I'd like to express my concern about 90 min. length of the deleted scenes. From Blu-ray description follows, that we're going to see NOT ONLY a series of single deleted scenes, but also extended scenes. So the actual running time of never seen material can be less than expected.
Yikes! That is not such good news. If the 90min consists of deleted scenes and extended scenes in their entirety then we'll not have that much new material.

And just based on what's been shown in the trailer, some of the extended scenes are things like the RR Diner scene and the Log Lady/Laura & Ronette and Philip Jeffries. If you think about how those scenes are structured in the screenplay, he wouldn't be able to show us the great deleted bits at all unless he did also include the fragments that wound up in the movie. Think of Jeffries in Buenos Aires... Lynch would have to re-include that little section of Jeffries coming out of the elevator and walking into Gordon's office. So technically that's an extended scene but only because of that little fragment being there again. Same for Laura's visit to Bobby's house (where his parents are in the scene). Only a little fragment of the visit to Bobby made it in the movie, so technically that will be considered an extended scene but the majority of it was a deleted scene.
Good point. Plus the extended stuff is also new material, since no one seen any of it before. I'm as excited about them as the completely new scenes :D
Ross wrote:
nemo wrote:Did anybody notice, that Annie is dressed not in a dress, which she wore at Miss Twin Peaks? According to the series finale she should wear not the dress of Caroline, but the dress from Miss Twin Peaks contest.
Gordon wrote:Nemo makes an excellent point... Why is Annie wearing Caroline's dress OUTSIDE the Lodge? In Laura's dream it makes sense that she wears it, but in reality.... :shock: I'm not sure what Coop wears when he exits the Lodge and Harry finds him... He loses his coat when he enters, but when he leaves? Is this related to Briggs dressed as a pilot? :shock:
This was the first thing I noticed as well!! I mentioned it on Twitter. It always made sense that she had on Caroline's dress in Laura's dream, as she did wear it in the Lodge as she layed bloody next to Cooper. But in the real world? We already saw her outside of the lodge back in her own dress- so why the change? Continuity or deliberate?
Excellent point indeed. I was so excited that I didn't notice this.
I'd say it was deliberate. The same way the ring magically appears in her hand, the dress is also back on. Also, Annie is found unconscious by Truman but in the hospital she's wide awake, like in trance. That'd probably be explained on the other TP films Lynch was planning to do.
Hervé Love
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hervé Love »

Ross wrote:
nemo wrote:Did anybody notice, that Annie is dressed not in a dress, which she wore at Miss Twin Peaks? According to the series finale she should wear not the dress of Caroline, but the dress from Miss Twin Peaks contest.
Gordon wrote:Nemo makes an excellent point... Why is Annie wearing Caroline's dress OUTSIDE the Lodge? In Laura's dream it makes sense that she wears it, but in reality.... :shock: I'm not sure what Coop wears when he exits the Lodge and Harry finds him... He loses his coat when he enters, but when he leaves? Is this related to Briggs dressed as a pilot? :shock:
This was the first thing I noticed as well!! I mentioned it on Twitter. It always made sense that she had on Caroline's dress in Laura's dream, as she did wear it in the Lodge as she layed bloody next to Cooper. But in the real world? We already saw her outside of the lodge back in her own dress- so why the change? Continuity or deliberate?
You're really crazy and I loooove it !
Maddy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Maddy »

Hey Guys. :)

I think (regarding Annie wearing Caroline's dress) that she was wearing it both deliberately AND for continutiy reasons. As someone who's been to (singing) auditions before they always tell you to wear the same clothes when you return "for continuity reasons" if you're going to be on t.v etc. Also I think he put it there deliberately, not in order to confuse us, but for us to try and figure it out ourselves and I've pretty much always felt that way about TP and Mullholland Drive (remember the "clues" in the inlay card?)
Also if you pay attention, remember, when Annie was in the lodge she was wearing Caroline's dress at one point, this is Windom Earle trying to confuse/mess with Cooper's mind. Either that or he changed Annie's dress because she was so spaced out when she went with him anyway.
I think the reason she is wearing it in Laura's dream is because it IS Laura's dream and Coop said he and Laura had the same dream, so he also connected with her in the dream (the "don't take the ring Laura") part.
What I wonder about more is how did he know she was dreaming and tell her what happened in this part of the dream - she was still alive when they had the "same" dream then Annie appeared in the bed etc and Laura freaked out when she disappeared (AGAIN in Caroline's dress) which is weird because you'd think if a bloodied stranger appeared in your bed like that you'd be more afraid when they were THERE, so the only other logical thought to me about this whole scene (where Laura sees Annie and takes the ring) is that this part of the dream was a lucid dream. Laura knew she was dreaming then woke up later. If she was still dreaming when Annie was rushed into hospital that could also be why she's dressed like that...just my tuppence worth. :)
The Angels will return...
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

If they had never shown the last shot of Annie back in her own dress outside of the Lodge in the final episode, I wouldn't question it. You'd just assume she left the Lodge in it. But now its like, "How and when did it change"? But really, there are so many cosmetic differences between the series & FWWM it doesn't really matter that much. I just find it curious and wonder if it was deliberate or not.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
kafard
RR Diner Member

Post by kafard »

Uhm...
A french little guy named : Dam.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:Excellent point indeed. I was so excited that I didn't notice this.
I'd say it was deliberate. The same way the ring magically appears in her hand, the dress is also back on. Also, Annie is found unconscious by Truman but in the hospital she's wide awake, like in trance. That'd probably be explained on the other TP films Lynch was planning to do.
True! Perhaps she returned from her little trip/journey to Laura's bed with the ring AND the dress.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

bosguy1981 wrote:
Montana wrote:

There are a LOT of scenes in the movie that were cut way down. Some even starting mid-scene. Think of Laura & James in the janitor's room, "It DOES matter". It starts DURING their conversation. Not sure how they will present all of these in the deleted scenes.
Maddy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Maddy »

yeah, I think everything Lynch does is deliberate. That's what I always loved about TP, (and FWWM) it's NOT a no-brainer you really have to think if you wanna figure stuff out. :)
Maddy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Maddy »

There are a LOT of scenes in the movie that were cut way down. Some even starting mid-scene. Think of Laura & James in the janitor's room, "It DOES matter". It starts DURING their conversation. Not sure how they will present all of these in the deleted scenes.[/quote]

Yes, I'm too excited about all the new stuff to think about if/what exactly they will show. The parts on the trailer are only a fraction but I've read the deleted scenes here before so I'm excited just from the snippets of the trailer. I assume that the laxatives Bobby was screaming about are from the previous night when the drug incident/shooting took place. And it goes without saying that I'm exicted about Leland and his axe. Also back on topic I think there's a bit where Laura and James exchange glances in the hall just before she meets Bobby. And all those extra lines in general, woot! I'm just too excited atm I've been waiting for this like 23 years, just being an annoying gushing fangirl sorry. :D
Montana
Roadhouse Member

Post by Montana »

Ok. You guys reassured me a lot. Thanks!
As for the deleted and extended scenes being edited back into the film, don't hold your breath. DL has always resisted doing that with films. I am 99% certain that he would not do it with this and would not allow anyone else to edit it like that on the official release. I'm afraid it is fan edits only on that front, sadly.
Any ideas on why the UK release is so short compared to the US, aside from PAL difference?
Montana
Roadhouse Member

Post by Montana »

Maddy wrote:Don't be concerned. It's still a ton of new stuff :wink:
There are a LOT of scenes in the movie that were cut way down. Some even starting mid-scene. Think of Laura & James in the janitor's room, "It DOES matter". It starts DURING their conversation. Not sure how they will present all of these in the deleted scenes.

Yes, I'm too excited about all the new stuff to think about if/what exactly they will show. ... I'm just too excited atm I've been waiting for this like 23 years.... :D[/quote] Yep! Me too. It's going to be a special day. I hope I get it on the day of release.

Will we get a separate thread for reactions and discussion about the new discs? It would be really cool to discuss on those first few days. I know it isn't really a question of spoilers but some of us haven't read the full script for many years, so I'm looking forward to being surprised.
MysteryMan
RR Diner Member

Post by MysteryMan »

With regards to the running time that amazon UK has on their item page it would appear they are only counting the running time of the TV series which should be about 1440 minutes (28 x 45 minutes and 2 x 90 minutes). They state 1410 minutes which is very close. On Amazon US they say running time is 1636 minutes which could be the TV series + Fire Walk With Me and the deleted scenes (1440 minutes + 135 minutes + 90 minutes). This is of course only a guess. I really hope The UK gets the last two discs of the box set (I know Universal held the rights to Fire Walk With Me in the UK a couple of years ago when the Lynch box set was released). On the other hand Amazon UK states there are 10 discs with same content as described elsewhere so hopefully it is just an error from their side and not a licensing/rights issue.
The next time you see me it won't be me...
nemo
RR Diner Member

Post by nemo »

Here are the words of David Lynch on the dress from "Lynch on Lynch" I came across:
"I've got to say this one thing about that scene - where Annie suddenly appears in Laura's bed. This is before Laura has been murdered, and before Coop has come to Twin Peaks. Annie appears, filled with blood, and wearing the exact same dress that she's wearing when she was in the The Red Room with Cooper in the series - in the future."
It's really hard to say, how deliberate it was. On the one hand Lynch associates the dress with the Red Room. It could be though, that working on the hospital scene he decided, that Annie should have left the Lodge wearing exactly this dress. Thus he changed it. Besides using exactly this dress allows to combine the dream sequence, hospital sequence AND the Red Room sequence in detail. I mean, if in Laura's dream Annie hadn't had that dress on, there wouldn't have been a very important link to the events in the Red Room (Laura's dream was also played in the Red Room). And If Annie were dressed in her dress from the contest in the hospital scene, the whole scene would look less convincing, in the way, that it wouldn't double exactly the dream.
But I like the hypothesis about the ring. :wink:

Btw can you tell me, if Annie's throat was slit in the series? Is it possible to make it out in that dark scene?

Besides I'd like to share my thoughts about the reason, why Laura was so scared by Annie's disappearance. I think, the reason is, that the RING was passed on to Laura and she felt it. Also a dream itself lacks logic, as a sense of fear in Lynch's universe. Remember, how scared Lula was by the character played by Jack Nance in Wild At Heart, when he disclosed her dream about Wizard Of Oz. I remember Lynch saying it in the book "Lynch On Lynch". Even very ordinary objects and events can hide mysteries and cause fear. I still feel quite uncomfortable seeing Piere wearing the mask without openings for eyes. You realize, that HE can see you, while you can't see his face.