Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray Official Discussion Thread - Spoilers

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

MysteryMan
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray DVD Official Discussion Thread

Post by MysteryMan »

Wow, that looks and sounds amazing! Still not really gotten over the shock that we will get the FWWM deleted scenes in HD and now these scenes from the series as well! Does anyone know roughly how many deleted scenes we may get from the series or the running time for this feature?
The next time you see me it won't be me...
nemo
RR Diner Member

Post by nemo »

Can anybody help me finding original drafts/scripts of the first season including the Pilot :?:
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

About one second into this new trailer (as Ben Horne says "Close your eyes!"), there's a shot of Little Mike smiling that appears to be from the "Above the convenience store" scene in FWWM. Am I right that it's not identical to footage of him we see in the movie and that is confirmation that we'll get a longer version of that scene in The Missing Pieces? I WOULD LOVE THAT.

:D
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

nemo wrote:Can anybody help me finding original drafts/scripts of the first season including the Pilot :?:
Scripts 0-5 (PDF)

http://www71.zippyshare.com/v/32937623/file.html

Script 6

http://twinpeaksarchive.blogspot.com/20 ... 06_23.html

Script 7
Unavialable
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

bosguy1981 wrote:About one second into this new trailer (as Ben Horne says "Close your eyes!"), there's a shot of Little Mike smiling that appears to be from the "Above the convenience store" scene in FWWM. Am I right that it's not identical to footage of him we see in the movie and that is confirmation that we'll get a longer version of that scene in The Missing Pieces? I WOULD LOVE THAT.

Its definitely not identical to any shot in the movie.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
nemo
RR Diner Member

Post by nemo »

BIG thanks qbin2001!!!

The shot of LMFAP sounds very intriguing. I was quite worried about the existence of that extended scene, but reading the comment posted on imdb by the person, who allegedly watched the deleted scenes, made me sure, that the extended scene above the convenience store does really exist and will be included in the release.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Don't f*ck with the FBI

Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

First shot of Mrs. Hayward (sporting shorter hair) from FWWM.

I wish I knew the story and decision making behind the Hayward set in the movie. Unlike the Palmer and RR diner (where they went back and shot in the actual locations like they did in the pilot), they actually filmed the Hayward scenes on the set from the series. BUT they changed EVERYTHING about it. Every piece of furniture, every knick-knack and picture, the paint color, the curtains, wallpaper, etc, Its all changed. So the structure remains, but that's it. Very odd.

I can only think of 2 possible reasons. Maybe Lynch wasn't happy with what it looked like?? Or perhaps ABC had rented this set out in the six months since the series had ended and another production changed and used it. Either way, its pretty odd. But there are so many cosmetic differences in FWWM.

They actually filmed in the Johnson kitchen set from the series with no changes at all (except for the light above the table). And in the Roadhouse set from the series with a few cosmetic changes (they darkened the bar top and wood behind the bar, and changed out the lights above the bar).
Attachments
BrEbSLoCUAA4GhI.jpg-large.jpeg
BrEbSLoCUAA4GhI.jpg-large.jpeg (79.87 KiB) Viewed 8766 times
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

It's kind of hilarious that nearly all of the actresses in FWWM had different hairstyles than their characters sported in the series. I wonder if Kimmy Robertson and Charlotte Stewart had short hair too. :lol:
james
RR Diner Member

Post by james »

Ross wrote:
bosguy1981 wrote:About one second into this new trailer (as Ben Horne says "Close your eyes!"), there's a shot of Little Mike smiling that appears to be from the "Above the convenience store" scene in FWWM. Am I right that it's not identical to footage of him we see in the movie and that is confirmation that we'll get a longer version of that scene in The Missing Pieces? I WOULD LOVE THAT.

Are you sure about this one? I'd like to think that shot of the MFAP was different, however I've paused it many times and looked. It looks to me exactly the same as the scene of him laughing in TP: FWWM after he says 'With this ring I thee wed.'

Pause it yourself and see, its the same shot as in the movie.

Nonetheless, these 'missing pieces' of FWWM will definitely feature more of the convenience store I am sure as plenty more was filmed and it is needed to make sense of the extra Bowie (Philip Jeffries) scenes.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

james wrote: Are you sure about this one? I'd like to think that shot of the MFAP was different, however I've paused it many times and looked. It looks to me exactly the same as the scene of him laughing in TP: FWWM after he says 'With this ring I thee wed.'

Yeah, I think so too :wink:
nemo
RR Diner Member

Post by nemo »

it's a pity then, that it wasn't actually a new shot. But I still hope, that the extended cut of the scene exists as it was mentioned by Dugpa referring to the statements of Michael J. Anderson and Ron Garcia. More than that the scene should include much unscripted stuff and be allegedly about 20 min, long, which I can't really imagine, because it was so subtle and dreamlike exactly as Jeffries says. But dreams can be long too. It's interesting, that Lynch puts the phrase about living in dreams in Jeffries's mouth, which is in concordance with the Hindu philosophy of Advaita Vedanta based on the Upanishad, where the living experience represents an illusive dreamlike projection of maya totally different from the true nature of Brahman. Actually I don't like to build up external comparisons watching David Lynch's films taking them as they are, but I think, that that particular influence can not be completely denied, since his passion for Maharishi Mahesh Yogi and TM is well known. Besides he referred to Upanishad in his speech at the premiere of INLAND EMPIRE, which contained similar ideas.
Last edited by nemo on Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

james wrote:
Ross wrote:

Are you sure about this one? I'd like to think that shot of the MFAP was different, however I've paused it many times and looked. It looks to me exactly the same as the scene of him laughing in TP: FWWM after he says 'With this ring I thee wed.'

I'm not sure what you mean. These two shots are definitely not the same. (see attached image)
Attachments
screenshot_01.png
screenshot_01.png (303.62 KiB) Viewed 8625 times
james
RR Diner Member

Post by james »

Thanks Ross - you're right.

It is a closer take of the LMFAP laughing.

About the sets, that is fascinating because I was always under the impression all of the series ones were discarded after the show ended.

In terms of the Hayward house it does look the same as the one in the series very much in design, even if certain things have been decorated differently.

With Leo and Shelly's house, if that is the same set as used in the show it looks to be only the kitchen part of it.

What I am very interested in is which sets were made exclusively for the film. I read that the Deer Meadow Station morgue was a set - is that true? Also, the train car sequence was all filmed on a sound stage too. The train-car interior - was it all built from scratch for FWWM? It does look pretty different to the train-car intrerior shown in the second season pilot.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

james wrote:About the sets, that is fascinating because I was always under the impression all of the series ones were discarded after the show ended.

In terms of the Hayward house it does look the same as the one in the series very much in design, even if certain things have been decorated differently.

With Leo and Shelly's house, if that is the same set as used in the show it looks to be only the kitchen part of it.

What I am very interested in is which sets were made exclusively for the film. I read that the Deer Meadow Station morgue was a set - is that true? Also, the train car sequence was all filmed on a sound stage too. The train-car interior - was it all built from scratch for FWWM? It does look pretty different to the train-car intrerior shown in the second season pilot.
For years I had also assumed that the LA sets must have been dismantled by the time FWWM filmed, or were not available for them to use. But upon closer examination of the film, I've discovered this wasn't the case. I have no idea if they were ALL still standing or not, but some were used. Obviously Lynch opted to film in the actual locations for some things: The Palmer House and the RR Diner. I don't know if these sets were still standing, but even if they were, he opted for the real locations (I, personally, much prefer the RR Diner set over the actual diner. Its just so much cooler).

My guess is the Harold Smith set had been dismantled by that time, as his storyline had ended mid season 2, and since the character was dead, there wasn't much reason to keep it. But they didn't really even seem to try to match his house in the movie!

As I said above they did end up using three of the series' sets: The Johnson house, The Roadhouse, and the Hayward house.

I don't know the story as to why ALL decorations and furnishings were changed on the Hayward set, but it IS the set used in the series. Of course in the final cut of the movie, we barely see the interior of the Hayward house.

For the Johnson set, its identical- right down to the flower napkin holder on the table. The angle that Lynch chose to film the scene however, is kind of odd, in that it completely crops out what made the kitchen set so identifiable: the plastic covered walls and exposed beams. They didn't change or remove them, Lynch just chose to shoot at at angle where they are not visible.

I'm actually going to try to put together a few articles with pictures on the sets and post them over on Welcome To Twin Peaks.

I don't know much about the sets built exclusively for the movie. I'm guessing they re-built the train car set -but I'm not positive on that.
Last edited by Ross on Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.