Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray Official Discussion Thread - Spoilers

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

underthefan
Great Northern Member

Re: Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray DVD Official Discussion Thread

Post by underthefan »

Yes subs, dialogue mixed under music.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

I thought that's how it was before. The New Line DVD didn't had subs for that scene?
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

It did but New Line raised dialogue level, making subtitles superfluous.
MysteryMan
RR Diner Member

Post by MysteryMan »

No subtitles have ever been released for the Partyland scene in the UK on any of the DVD releases or Blu Ray releases. Hope the subtitles will be included for this release.
The next time you see me it won't be me...
missoulamt
RR Diner Member

Post by missoulamt »

What is the best price you have found for this set? Amazon.com?
Mann_vom_anderen_Ort

Post by Mann_vom_anderen_Ort »

nemo wrote:What do you think about the colours of the upcoming release? Won't they be a way too warm/oversaturated? I haven't watched any videos, but having looked at some caps on welcometotwinpeaks and amazon I feel a bit concerned, whether the colours will be conveyed as they originally were :?:
Besides it will be interesting to see how the picture of the film will look like. In my opinion the New Line Cinema and Mk2 releases have completely different colours. I like New Line much more for its colder and severe picture. And after watching the trailer with the deleted scenes I got an impression, that we will get the similar picture for the film on this release.

I have the same feeling. It looks really like teher is too much red in the picture. Look at this trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFviJ6kDAzw for example at 0.43. Bob´s face looks afterrestoration like he´s been too much under the californian sun and has a sunburn. When I mentioned this on facebook some weeks ago, Joker wrote "Bob was too close to the fire" :? Even his jacket looks now more purple than blue. The other thing what I noticed is that the clips of Fire Walk With Me in the trailer looked really flat like the contrast has been turned down and the brightness turned up so that it looks okay on bad television sets who cannot handle big differnces in lightning. Let´s just hope that is just how the image looks in the trailer and not on the actual discs.
nemo
RR Diner Member

Post by nemo »

I really hope, that the picture will look a bit differently on the discs/ Ich hoffe wirklich, dass das Bild auf den Disks ein bisschen anders aussehen wird :)
Mysterioso

Post by Mysterioso »

Hello. I am so excite for Blu I can't wait. New HD transfer is so good. Yes, different, but if it is the true vision of David Lynch and he alone approve then I am in love. Screen of VHS should not be comparison since DVD Gold box was in approval of David Lynch. I make comparison for you to see. VHS, Gold box transfers from iTunes and new Blu. Blu matches Gold Box iTunes but clarity in Blu is much sharper.

My only wish is they do HD correction to remove Annie from Series. :twisted:

Audrey Horne is True Love for Cooper. One day it will be real!
bob2.png
bob2.png (145.89 KiB) Viewed 9091 times
nemo
RR Diner Member

Post by nemo »

For me VHS definitely rules! :) I think, everyone has a right to stick to one's own taste. In art there is no place for authorities.
Let's hope, the chosen picture transfer will work, but I am really curious, to which extend all three colour timings are true to the original, if we can talk at all about it :?:

Perhaps Charles de Lauzirika could shed the light on it? :roll:
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

I see what you guys mean, but I'm a sucker for sharp images. BOB in the Blu restoration looks so sharp that it feels like he's standing right here looking at me in the eye. I don't care if he looks sunburnt, orange, purple, or whatever. The Blu image is the best for me.
nemo
RR Diner Member

Post by nemo »

I know WHAT you mean Sam :) I got the same creepy feeling!...
matto

Post by matto »

missoulamt wrote:What is the best price you have found for this set? Amazon.com?
This site tends to list the competition, so you can check prices
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Twin-Peak ... ray/93181/

I pre-ordered on Amazon, at the time it was $119, then something must have happened (pre-order price guarantee I assume) because in "my orders" it's listed as costing $90. I'm not complaining!
thegreatnorthern
RR Diner Member

Post by thegreatnorthern »

Laserdisc is probably the best way to see the original broadcast style, plus laserdiscs include cut scenes and edits
and they also offer the highest theater quality audio available of any format ( even incl blu)
I might add that the laserdisc format seems to have retained the original coloring as well, what originally drew me in
was the reddish and golden hues added to the style and the tone of the show, I've noticed over the years,
as the coloring of the show has been played around with, with each subsequent tp release~
dugpa posted some time ago about the differences in the coloring of fwwm on ld and dvd and I agree that fwwm
was poorly implemented on the ld format, although it looks acceptable,
the bluray comes closer to the film experience for me

heres more about the series on laserdisc :
http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 9&start=60
http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... +laserdisc
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

dugpa wrote:Deleted Scenes from the series are missing from the list.
Hi Dugpa-

So we can assume there will be more deleted scenes from the series than the few that were listed on the BBFC site?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Ross wrote:
dugpa wrote:Deleted Scenes from the series are missing from the list.
Hi Dugpa-

So we can assume there will be more deleted scenes from the series than the few that were listed on the BBFC site?
image.jpg
image.jpg (19.31 KiB) Viewed 9031 times