Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray Official Discussion Thread - Spoilers

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Re: Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray DVD Official Discussion Thread

Post by bosguy1981 »

BobSmith wrote:Only 6 days to go now.

So what is everyone going to do when they get their box set? Jumping right in to the deleted scenes and extras, or watching series and feature first?
I'm going to torture myself into a little more waiting for the Missing Pieces... going to watch the full movie Fire Walk With Me first, and then the deleted scenes. I want to get right into the world of the movie (and apparently a really great remastering job on it!) before I watch the missing bits.

Then I'll probably check out all the special features before I dive into watching the series from start to finish. Tuesday can't come fast enough.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

BobSmith wrote:Only 6 days to go now.

So what is everyone going to do when they get their box set? Jumping right in to the deleted scenes and extras, or watching series and feature first?
I am going to tear that plastic wrap off as quickly as humanly possible and watch The Missing Pieces, and then probably watch it again as soon as I'm finished. I would like to say I'll take my time and check out the other features, but who am I kidding? I want those Missing Pieces right now!!!
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
peaked&confused

Post by peaked&confused »

Just stumbled upon the very first Entire Mystery Blu-Ray review on the DVD Beaver website. Although the review seems to be a work-in-progress (due to the sheer size of the content), we are at last presented clear screen grabs from the TV series, along with several screen grab comparisons with the FWWM version previously available in Europe.

The colour reproduction and film grain looks quite exhilarating !

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_ ... lu-ray.htm
rewak
RR Diner Member

Post by rewak »

From the screens provided....i kinda have to give an edge to the MK2 transfer :shock: The new transfer looks sharper sure but in that shot with Chet for example there's a very clear colour split in the image, then in the shot of Dale you kinda get weird shit going on with the colour on the left. I hope that's just down to whatever method Beaver used to capture the screens :( I also gotta be ever so slightly curious about the movie taking up 30 or so GB of the disc, leaving roughly 13/14 GB for the deleted/extended scenes. For an hour and a half of material, that's low, i'm smelling lossy audio on that one.

It is nice to know the running time of these two features, nice length!

• “Between Two Worlds” featurette (38:20)
• Moving Through Time: Fire Walk With Memories (29:37)
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

rewak wrote:From the screens provided....i kinda have to give an edge to the MK2 transfer :shock: The new transfer looks sharper sure but in that shot with Chet for example there's a very clear colour split in the image, then in the shot of Dale you kinda get weird shit going on with the colour on the left. I hope that's just down to whatever method Beaver used to capture the screens :(
I have to agree. According to these caps, the MK2 transfer looks superior.
Still very satisfied. Loved the menus. Too bad they didn't post the length of the series deleted scenes and outtakes. I hope we're getting a little bit more than the 5 minutes of deleted material BBFC stated. Still, I wouldn't put my hopes too high for anything extraordinary in it.

I don't know a lot about transfers, compression, etc, what does this mean?
"I see an image with some infrequent compression artifacts, but a lot of pleasing texture"
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Is it just me or do the screencaps from the series itself look 'wider' than the ones from the Gold Set? Meaning their heads are a bit stretched left to right? I wonder which transfer is more accurate in terms of proper ratio.
The_Trout

Post by The_Trout »

I think the new transfer is BETTER than the MK2. The new version is a tad sharper and isn't, y'know, green.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

The_Trout wrote:I think the new transfer is BETTER than the MK2. The new version is a tad sharper and isn't, y'know, green.
Agreed 100%. What? You don't like a film where everyone looks sick?
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
rewak
RR Diner Member

Post by rewak »

Like I said it's sharper and the colour correct being Lynch approved is good but if the shots are accurate somethings wonky in the print, maybe the beginnings of oxidized celluloid? And I'm still concerned about the squeeze on The Missing Pieces, why didn't they place it on disc 10 I wonder? Hm, anyway, it's still early, would be a lot nicer to see shots of scenes in TP.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

The_Trout wrote:I think the new transfer is BETTER than the MK2. The new version is a tad sharper and isn't, y'know, green.
Yeah, I first saw the caps on my cell phone. Now seeing them wider in my computer screen, the MK2 looks kind of green :lol:
MysteryMan
RR Diner Member

Post by MysteryMan »

Ross wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:Who's ambitious to start getting a rough list together of the cut footage from the dugpa Deleted Scenes feature that didn't make the blu-ray set? :mrgreen:
I have no doubt we'll something like that after we all see the footage. From the descriptions I've read, it does seem like there are at least a handful of minor things missing, plus some of the scenes that were really cut down for the movie aren't expanded (although some are). So that rumor of 40 more minutes could have some merit. But that's true of all movies- scenes are cut down, minor things are left out, etc.

Off the top of my head, a few things I don't THINK are on there are:
Deputy Cliff at the Fat Trout.
Irene in the parking lot at Hap's.
Laura is found by the concerned neighbor.
Leland and Laura meet up with Sarah at the RR (after the run in with the OAM).

The script also featured more debauchery at Jaques' cabin, including the bit with the poker chip, and Leland raping Ronette
Just had confirmation that the scene with Leland/Laura meeting up with Sarah at the RR is not included...
The next time you see me it won't be me...
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

MysteryMan wrote:
Ross wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:Who's ambitious to start getting a rough list together of the cut footage from the dugpa Deleted Scenes feature that didn't make the blu-ray set? :mrgreen:
I have no doubt we'll something like that after we all see the footage. From the descriptions I've read, it does seem like there are at least a handful of minor things missing, plus some of the scenes that were really cut down for the movie aren't expanded (although some are). So that rumor of 40 more minutes could have some merit. But that's true of all movies- scenes are cut down, minor things are left out, etc.

Off the top of my head, a few things I don't THINK are on there are:
Deputy Cliff at the Fat Trout.
Irene in the parking lot at Hap's.
Laura is found by the concerned neighbor.
Leland and Laura meet up with Sarah at the RR (after the run in with the OAM).

The script also featured more debauchery at Jaques' cabin, including the bit with the poker chip, and Leland raping Ronette
Just had confirmation that the scene with Leland/Laura meeting up with Sarah at the RR is not included...
Laura's brief chat with Leland on the porch after James leaves?
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

bosguy1981 wrote: ...going to watch the full movie Fire Walk With Me first, and then the deleted scenes. I want to get right into the world of the movie (and apparently a really great remastering job on it!) before I watch the missing bits.
This. I made my mind up that i was doing this before i'd even pre-ordered it. :D
peaked&confused

Post by peaked&confused »

The DVD Beaver Blu-Ray review now contains more specific details regarding certain extras included in the set, namely:

- A Slice of Lynch: Uncut (HD) – NEW! (55:33)

- Series Deleted Scenes (HD) – NEW! (8:19)
Cooper and Donna talk About Picnic
Picnic
Cooper and Truman at Gazebo
Mayor's Speech
Lucy and Raccoons
16mm Period Piece
Bobby Coaches Shelly
Lucy and Deputy Andy
Jerry's Wandering Eye
27 Going on 6
Lucy, Andy, and Donuts
Something About Johnny

- Outtakes (HD) – NEW! (2:14)
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

peaked&confused wrote:The DVD Beaver Blu-Ray review now contains more specific details regarding certain extras included in the set, namely:

- A Slice of Lynch: Uncut (HD) – NEW! (55:33)

- Series Deleted Scenes (HD) – NEW! (8:19)
Cooper and Donna talk About Picnic
Picnic
Cooper and Truman at Gazebo
Mayor's Speech
Lucy and Raccoons
16mm Period Piece
Bobby Coaches Shelly
Lucy and Deputy Andy
Jerry's Wandering Eye
27 Going on 6
Lucy, Andy, and Donuts
Something About Johnny

- Outtakes (HD) – NEW! (2:14)
Thank god the deleted scenes from the gold box made it over :D And they're in HD?!