Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray Official Discussion Thread - Spoilers

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray DVD Official Discussion Thread

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

My new Facebook cover photo.

I'm in love :lol:
Chareth

Post by Chareth »

I've never posted here before but have visited Dugpa.com a LOT over the years, and I had to join to express my joy and gratitude at this amazing news. I can't believe that trailer even exists - it feels like these scenes have been retrieved from some alternate universe. They truly feel like a missing chapter in this story.

Thank you so much to Dugpa for your involvement with this set, which I didn't know about until reading your story on it. I can't wait to hear what your work entailed. Thank you for being the voice of the fans and fighting for this to eventuate. And thank you to everyone else involved.

Between this and their reverential remaster of Star Trek: The Next Generation, CBS are pretty much the patron saints of TV on disc right now. With DVD sales down and this panic about Blu-ray being doomed, it's so commendable that CBS are still giving us packages that would have been remarkable even at the height of the DVD boom. I mean, they surely had to pay a LOT to license and restore these scenes to Lynch's preferred standard if New Line refused all those years ago, not to mention licensing FWWM itself. Just an amazing accomplishment.

A few points from reading the press release:
  • They've managed to include the Artisan season 1 extras this time, except for the interviews. Wasn't there talk that a lot more interview footage was filmed for intended use on the Artisan season 2 DVDs? I seem to recall the DVD producer, Lancelot Narayan, mentioning that on alt.tv.twinpeaks years ago, explaining that the proper making-of was coming on season 2 and it would use that interview footage. It would be terrific if CBS somehow got access to that raw material. For a show like Peaks, they could just throw it all on the discs as is and we'd gobble it up.

Is the FWWM documentary the same one that Dugpa said he was working on (can't find the reference he made to that), or a CBS evolution of that one that Dugpa is involved with now? I do hope it covers the deleted scenes saga and speaks to the cast about their work finally being seen, as de Lauzirika's Blade Runner set did regarding the multiple cuts. Discussion of the motivation behind the post-series scenes would be wonderful too.

Regarding the upgraded picture quality on certain scenes: I wonder, now that CBS Digital is so active creating digital effects for Star Trek, whether they've gone back in and made BOB appear from the carpet in the scary way he was always meant to.

Some of the new deleted scenes are in HD. If they've found a cache that was supposedly lost, who knows what might be in it. Perhaps Ben/Maddie at last.

I wonder if 'Postcards from the Cast' is the set of cast interviews from the stand-alone season 2 DVD? I imagine quite a few fans haven't seen these, having skipped season 2 in favour of the Gold Box.

Would they be able to fit all the hours of USC material on here, I wonder, if that's what 'Cast and crew interviews' is? I haven't watched the panels yet, so perhaps they could be heartily pruned without missing much.

The SNL extras and Georgia Coffee commercials are gone, so not everything in the Gold Box has been preserved. Rights issues, I imagine. A small price to pay for everything else.

The transfer and colour timing of the deleted scenes seem much closer to the series than the way we've usually seen FWWM - brighter, mostly. I wonder if FWWM itself might look quite different.

FWWM may affect international distribution of the set. It was announced today for Australia, but only as a limited edition, which may be necessitated by licensing.
howsannie

Post by howsannie »

Wow bob, wow!

As a long time fan that has run his own TP fanclub back in the days I can't even begin to explain what a shocker this news is. I remember when we first laid hands on the FWWM script that had the deleted scenes in them (internet was just emerging for the general public so it was a big find for us) and we couldn't believe how 90 minutes did not make it onto the big screen. And how we weren't sure these scenes got filmed in the first place. And if they did, they probably ended up on the cutting floor somewhere.

I remember the first early FWWM-deleted scenes petition, the sites, the excitment some rumour came around. And the dissapointment every single time. I must admit, I never tought it would happen. With every FWWM DVD re-release, every Twin Peaks box, it would be in the back of your head, slumbering, thinking... but it wouldn't happen.

Until yesterday. First it didn't sink in. I almost looked over it in my Twitter timeline, disgarding it as another TP box rumor. Then the Annie with her throat slit screenshot. BOOM. Oh. My. God. And then, another, Philip Jeffries shot from a deleted scene I instantly recognized. The teaser video. It wás happening! I admit I watched the teaser video 10 times or something last night. Can't get enough.

I just recently rewatched TP on Netflix, due to all the Blu Ray chatter and was wondering just last week if I should rewatch FWWM as well, but decided to go against it for some reason. Now I can't wait to see it at least one more time without the deleted scenes and then getting ready for what is the release of the year already for me. And I don't own a BD player as of yet but this release will pull the trigger on that for me as well :D.

Really, really excited!
MysteryMan
RR Diner Member

Post by MysteryMan »

Available to pre-order now on Amazon UK for £49.75, that works out even cheaper than on Amazon US... Surprised about this actually as I thought it would be more expensive in UK.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00H ... UTF8&psc=1
The next time you see me it won't be me...
kafard
RR Diner Member

Post by kafard »

bosguy1981 wrote:
kafard wrote:Image

I'm the only one wonder what is that?!
That's from the deleted scene where Cooper visits Sam Stanley after Desmond's disappearance. The script mentions that, in the middle of his apartment, Sam has a vat of milky white substance with crystallized things on the rim, and wires protruding from it.
Thank for your answer :)

I had never read the script with the deleted scenes but now I will watch them soon ;-)
A french little guy named : Dam.
howsannie

Post by howsannie »

MysteryMan wrote:Available to pre-order now on Amazon UK for £49.75, that works out even cheaper than on Amazon US... Surprised about this actually as I thought it would be more expensive in UK.

Ah great thanks! Placing my pre-order right NOW :)
HoodedMatt
Roadhouse Member

Post by HoodedMatt »

YES!!! Comes out the day before my birthday, so thanks for the present Mr Lynch! :D
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

MysteryMan wrote:Available to pre-order now on Amazon UK for £49.75, that works out even cheaper than on Amazon US... Surprised about this actually as I thought it would be more expensive in UK.

I live in Brazil and to me it's always cheaper to import from UK than from the US :)
Thanks for the link
Montana
Roadhouse Member

Post by Montana »

This is great news. That trailer put a chill down my spine!
Thanks for your hard work, Dugpa - with the material and on this site.
Makes me glad I passed over the Gold Set. Once I get the new set I will only have bought it TP/FWWM....twice.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Looks like the Japanese first pressing will come with a t-shirt.
Attachments
Screen shot 2014-05-16 at 11.27.43 AM.png
Screen shot 2014-05-16 at 11.27.43 AM.png (417.76 KiB) Viewed 9775 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
rewak
RR Diner Member

Post by rewak »

Nice design, but not quiiiiite worth an extra $100+ :lol:
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

rewak wrote:Nice design, but not quiiiiite worth an extra $100+ :lol:
Indeed. Also, I'm not too crazy about the Laura art on the front cover.
The guy in here who did all the covers for the unreleased soundtrack (what's his name, Ross?) could do better ;)
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
rewak wrote:Nice design, but not quiiiiite worth an extra $100+ :lol:
Indeed. Also, I'm not too crazy about the Laura art on the front cover.
The guy in here who did all the covers for the unreleased soundtrack (what's his name, Ross?) could do better ;)
Thanks Sam! Very much appreciated. I have to say I'm not a fan of the cover art at all. It makes Laura look kind of like a zombie. Oh well...
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
MysteryMan
RR Diner Member

Post by MysteryMan »

The box set seems to be selling very well so far. Currently #1 in Amazon UK's Blu Ray bestsellers :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/ ... ef=sr_bs_1
The next time you see me it won't be me...
Neosmith
Roadhouse Member

Post by Neosmith »

I'm thinking the rationale behind the art was that Laura has missing pieces.