Twin Peaks Episode Guide

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Re: Twin Peaks Episode Guide

Post by Audrey Horne »

beautiful and surprising choice for #6, Jerry.

The Major talks to Bobby in the Double R.

It's such an unnecessary scene; it certainly halts the action and the drama, and I bet a lot of people don't even remember it. But, boy oh, boy -it's a beaut. And gets to the heart about what Twin Peaks is all about: relationships and yearning.

I love this scene very, very much. Don Davis is consistantly good in this show, that's a given. But Ashbrook never gets the praise he deserves. I never talk about Bobby, but he's one of the most interesting characters to me (at least, like all the others, in the first half of the series). The little boy lost with the armor of a gumchewing, smoking, posturing hood. It saddens me that this arc never played out, or explored more expertly. Davis and Ashbrook had fantastic chemistry. All of their one on one scenes are winners.

Good choice, and quite unexpected.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
They-Shot-Waldo!
RR Diner Member

Post by They-Shot-Waldo! »

Superb scene so a-typical of Lynch. Set up in a mundane way, (father and son randomnly meet); then it just goes a direction you don't expect and you feel the extreme emotion of the piece just rising. Seconded, great choice. :)
-- Gerry

the black dog runs at night
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Audrey, I know what you mean, however, I would argue that it is a very necessary scene as far as Bobby goes. I think this talk with his father is a turning point in how Bobby acts as a person. From here on out, his nefarious activities with Mike dissipates, he realizes how important Shelly is to him and so forth. Lynch has few throw away scenes in Twin Peaks, and this sequence is no exception. The next time you watch this scene, pay attention to the people behind Major Briggs as he begins to relate his vision to Bobby. They all basically freeze up. Curious.

Gerry, I'm right with you. Great scene!
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

sorry, meant an unnecessary scene in the usual typical plot sense. Most writers would only include scenes that are furthering information on the whodunit and setting up another arc. This one is almost like a time out. This one just allows them to be, allows two people to communicate. It could be plucked right out of the series and shown separately and it would stand on its own.

Meant unnecessary only in the best sense.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

#5 -the end of the second season premiere.

another great choice, Jerry. I think this would be on my top ten and on most other's as well.

It's scary, exciting, mysterious all at once. And even after it aired, no one fully knew what was going on.

The whole final moments of this episode really set up the potential for where the series could/would be going- and it's intense. I would include the whole segment of Cooper going to bed/Audrey praying/the giant/and Ronette's nightmare as possibly my favorite series of scenes.

Can't wait for 4-1. What could they be (don't tell!) -the rock throwing? "Going back to Masula!"? "Sometimes my arms bend back?" "God, I love this music?" The Roadhouse/World Spins?"
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

and aw hell -might as well stir the pot -my grades if I did a guide.

Pilot: A+
101- A
102- A+
103- A
104- A-
105- A+
106- A+
107- A

201- A-
202- A
203- B
204- B
205- B+
206- A
207- A+
208- B+
209- C+ (very controversial)
210- C+
211- C
212- C
213- C+
214- C
215- C
216- B
217- C-
218- B
219- C
220- B-
221- C-
222- A+
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

woah, haven't commented -but the dream is number 2?! wow. what the devil will be number one for you, Jerry.

I'm baffled, but of course when I see it, it will make sense.

Oh, no -of course. It has to be Maddy's death and the Roadhouse.

In any event, loved following your list, and I don't think I could ever come up with a top ten. Although, the two most cleverest scenes that make me smile everytime are Coop's rock throw, and the director's choice to have Audrey actually smoke in the closet while spying on Battis and Jenny.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Audrey - episode 16 as C+. I think I've stated elsewhere that I've always found this episode to be just a bit too convenient. It flows nicely, yet it seems to hint, both stylistically and visually, of the next batch of episodes that most people disapprove of. The ending with Coop embracing Leland has never gelled with me. It goes on too long and just seems wrong somehow. Let's comfort the man who raped and killed his own daughter. Yes, I realize Coop thinks that Leland was just a host for BOB (or whatever) but still, seems wrong to me somehow. I thought the ending was cool at the time, but now I'm not so sure. It doesn't help that this is the only episode of Twin Peaks with no night scenes. Twin Peaks thrives in the dark.

Also, very surprised that none of your rankings go below C-
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Whoo hoo! The list is complete.

Great list, Jerry. And duh, of course the number one scene comes as no surprise. It works on all levels -great filmmaking, riveting television, gives us a long awaited answer while forcing us into the then and now instead of reflection. And most importantly in television/soap land, makes us want to jump imeditately into the next episode.

Yeah, none of my ratings go below a C-. It's about right in my mind (grading and lists just really gives us a fun excuse to debate anyway, right?)

I know, I know 2.09 is high on most people's lists, but it never really gelled for me even when I saw it at sixteen. it's actually probably the episode I least ever rewatch. Wise is great in it, but of course he is -the material lends itself to it -and even a subbar actor is going to get accolades for it (note the countless actors who win Academy Awards for this type of material versus someone like Rosiland Russell and Cary Grant in a comedy like His Girl Friday and I'd point out infinitely which is the harder task). Again, not to take anything away fro Ray Wise -he's a firstrate actor all the way. But the whole delicate souffle deflated for me in this episode by essentially defining and justifying everything. I thought there was this fantastic tout tension is the episode preceeding it -which was the first outing after finding out Who Killed Laura Palmer. We had a wonderful atmosphere of Cooper telling Audrey to lock her door, and Maddy's body being found like Laura, bringing everything full circle. And then we essentially get a laundry list with Cooper checking everything off. Convenient is the best word.

But back to your list. So much fun.

I thought what would be my number one scene, and it's hard to pick -and frankly, I don't want to pick. I thought though, if I had a gun pointed to my head, and I could only watch one scene one last time- I know what my instinct would pick...

Beginning of episode six. Cooper tells Audrey that "secrets are dangerous things." It encapsulates (to me) all the strongest aspects of Twin Peaks. The surprise that Cooper is comforting the vixen, peeling away the layers that no one is as they seem. The purity, sadness, warmth, compassion. The innocent Norman Rockwell painting of two new friends sharing a milkshake; Audrey bringing up the memory of a phantom in Laura Palmer; Cooper being the knight in shinging armor- "finding that out is my job." Falling as a soundtrack. And Audrey's dream ever richer as she sighs like a earnest child when Cooper departs.

Yeah, no surprise my number one scene would be a Cooper/Audrey one.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Thanks Audrey. Lists like this are fun because no two persons will have the same exact top 10. I doubt if many other people out there would have the scene in the Sheriff station from episode 29 as I did. Or, even the rescue of Audrey from OEJ's might not make it. There are so many possibilities in this brilliant series. Audrey in the closet is brilliant. It reminds me of an old film noir!

One's opinions do change over time though. As a matter of fact, my opinion of episode 17 keeps going up. Curious.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

since this is basically my praise all things Jerry Horne, if anyone's been to TWIN PEAKS ARCHIVE, there's a big announcement he's unleashing on Oct. 26th.

Hmmm, since "big" is epic for Jerry, I doubt it's just another prop, a script or the actual plastic used for Sheryl Lee's body. Whatever it is, I'm on the edge of my seat.

I'll go for major bonus points, and say you've systematically kidnapped and cloned the DNA of all the castmembers. And are shooting new episodes. Either that or you've obtained Sherilyn Fenn's actual saddle shoes.

Can't wait.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Audrey Horne wrote:...I doubt it's just another prop, a script or the actual plastic used for Sheryl Lee's body. Whatever it is, I'm on the edge of my seat.
Audrey, you are gonna freak. I promise you.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

oh no! Jerry, listen to me. Release Sherilyn Fenn from your basement. I appreciate the thought, but you could get into a lot of trouble.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Yes, but I built her this special box and...

Seriously, it's better than that.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Ugh, erg, urg!!!@**@!!

You are just a little tease. Another picture of that eye. Pretty sure it's an Audrey eye. And maybe a reflection of the One-Eyed Jacks television in the pupil. (or is it the iris? can't remember) October 26th can't come quick enough.

Oh, and that quiz about Cooper and Sid? Bah! The only other choice is Annie?!! I'd take poison or a shotgun first.