Twin Peaks Episode Guide

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: Twin Peaks Episode Guide

Post by Jerry Horne »

Audrey, thanks! You are way too kind! I love Paula's photos and think it would be a real shame if we never get to see most of them.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Wow, Jerry -haven't been to your site for awhile. Just too busy in real life -but holy moly! Love the new interview, and also the DVD store. Just amazing. I have to go through them and see if there's anything I don't have already.

But you just keep getting better and better!
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Thank you Audrey! That really means a lot to me! :D Eddy has lead one interesting life - unlike me! Audrey, you place an order and i'll make sure and add on something very very cool! That goes for anyone else who places an order and mentions the 'Dugpa discussion board'!
kim 13781
Roadhouse Member

Post by kim 13781 »

:D Hi just checked out your episode guides they are fantastic! you are so damn clever at this stuff I tell you I wish I had your brain!
The guides are not only fantastically written they give you all the information you need about each episode and the pictures are brilliant so clear and completely fit in with the episodes being discussed.
I would love to see anything on a season 3 which never happened especially anything relating to Dale who is trapped in the Black Lodge as he is my favourite character of the show.
Keep up the good work.
Kim :)
Damn fine coffee...and hot - Agent Cooper
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Thanks Kim! Still working on the site. Trust me - you don't want my brain! Hey, check out the end of episode 29 on the guide for some quotes on where season 3 would have gone!
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

kim -don't remember who's blog this was from -but here's some info from when the Gold Edition came out-

Now that we can all watch TWIN PEAKS from start to finish, the question lingers: what if there had been a third season? Over the years, various snippets of info have slipped out about what future seasons and future films would have depicted, and I think it might be nice to collect that information for those who are interested.

First of all, in the recent DVD documentary, Mark Frost mentions that the theme of the third season would have been about Cooper being both the hero and the villain of TWIN PEAKS. Up until the second season finale, Cooper had mainly been a force of goodness and justice, so for him to become the villain as well would have played into the show's theme of duality.

Recently, a bunch of information about season three was revealed by Matt Haley. Haley is an artist who was trying to create a third season graphic novel which would have been distributed with the Gold Box edition. He got a thumbs up from Mark Frost, and spoke with Robert Engels about the writers' basic plans for year three. Unfortunately, David Lynch nixed the project for various reasons that are probably obvious, a decision that even Haley admits was understandable. However, Haley did reveal some of the things Engels told him about the direction the series would have taken. Apparently, the possession storyline was meant to be wrapped up fairly early in the third season; no surprise there, seeing as how evil Cooper/BOB really couldn't have been the star of the show for 22 episodes. When taking Frost's statement into account, this implies that even after being released from the Black Lodge, Cooper would continue to struggle with his unleashed dark side, possibly for the remainder of the series. After the possession story was finished, the show would jump ahead several years into the future, mainly because many of the characters were high-schoolers and the writers wanted to see what happened when Donna, James, Audrey, Bobby, Mike and Shelly were further along in their lives. In the future, Cooper would quit the FBI and become the town pharmacist (which I can totally see), and Harry would no longer be the sheriff and instead would have become the town recluse.

At some point during the third season, Sheryl Lee was going to join the show again, this time as a redhead (though doubtfully as another one of Laura's cousins). This would attract BOB, who would eventually murder her. This is probably the event which would have set a new storyline in motion. In regards to the show's mythology, the writers were going to reveal that Mike and BOB originated in a world full of creamed corn, which explains all the references to creamed corn in the movie. Haley also described a surreal scene where Truman would drive Mike backwards into the Black Lodge (what the fuck?). Haley has taken some flack for that last part, as some fans got confused and thought this was his idea, dismissing it as nothing more than bad fan fiction. But he didn't come up with that scene; he's just describing what Engels told him. This highlights the fact that much of TWIN PEAKS sounds pretty ridiculous on paper.

Hmmm, what else? Years ago in an interview with Fangoria, Ted Raimi (who played Rusty, the metalhead murdered by Windom Earle) revealed that he was going to return for the third season. Supposedly, Earle was eventually going to escape from the Lodge, possessing some of the dark powers of the beings which dwell there. He would wind up kidnapping a preppy college student (also played by Raimi), and transport the soul of Rusty into the college kid's body. This would have continued the concept of possession and twinning which PEAKS was playing with. I for one am happy to hear that Windom Earle would have lived.

Also in a Fangoria interview, Billy Zane mentioned that he would have likely returned for the third season as well. Apparently, Audrey was going to find out she was pregnant, which would have necessitated the return of John Justice Wheeler to Twin Peaks. This confirms that Audrey survived the bank explosion, which I don't think is a surprise to anybody. Lynch and Frost were actually considering a spin-off series where Audrey goes to Hollywood, which would have been called MULHOLLAND DRIVE. Obviously, this never happened, but Lynch did redevelop the project years later without the Audrey character.

And although this isn't really confirmed, I think it's a safe bet to assume Ben Horne would have returned to his evil ways following his head injury.

Another thing of note is the information contained in some of the spin-off books produced to tie-in with the series. While the books are not exactly canon, the writers did try to reference them when possible. (For instance, in THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF FBI SPECIAL AGENT DALE COOPER, Agent Cooper travels to Deer Meadow to investigate the murder of Teresa Banks, and encounters resistance from Sheriff Cable. In FIRE WALK WITH ME, it's Agent Desmond who investigates the murder, as his character was created to replace most of a reluctant-to-return Kyle MacLachlan's scenes. However, the elements of Deer Meadow and Sheriff Cable remain in the film). Anyway, the TWIN PEAKS ACCESS GUIDE seems to offer some clues about a third season. For one thing, the fact that Andrew Packard is alive seems to be well-known in Twin Peaks, perhaps indicating that he went public after the bank explosion. Another interesting fact is the revelation that Major Briggs' work is based at Unguin Field Observatory (U.F.O.). Weird. Also, the book introduces the concept of the Circulars, a tribe that once lived in the area. Apparently, they believed in absolute karma, and would do things such as consume the flesh of good people to absorb their goodness. They would also smear themselves in elk feces so that no one else would try to do the same thing to them. Anyhow, the tribe now exists in Twin Peaks as the Circular Lodge, a secret society whose ways are largely unknown, and who have some mysterious connection to Owl Cave. While this may all be nonsense created just to fill the pages of the Access Guide, many of these facts were indeed written by series writers Harley Peyton, Robert Engels and Tricia Brock, which might indicate they were trying to plant seeds for the show's mythology.

The movie TWIN PEAKS: FIRE WALK WITH ME also contains a handful of clues about what would have come next, as the film was made with the possibility of other sequels and prequels in mind. There's a scene in the shooting script (though it's unknown if it was actually filmed) set immediately after the conclusion of the series. Harry and Doc Hayward burst into Cooper's bathroom, where he's lying on the floor, bleeding and laughing hysterically. They pick him up and take him back to bed. Meanwhile, we see Annie at the hospital shortly after emerging from the Black Lodge. She has the Lodge ring on her finger, and a nurse lifts it off of her.

It's worth noting that all of the scenes featuring Dale and Laura together in the Lodge are, from Cooper's perspective, occurring after the end of the show. David Lynch confirmed that the message Annie gives to Laura about the good Dale being trapped in the Lodge was meant to be used either in the third season or in a future movie. Laura would have written this down, and eventually someone would've found the message, and it would then provide the clue about why Cooper is behaving so strangely, ultimately setting in motion the resolution of Cooper's possession storyline.

Robert Engels has said that, had the story continued, we would have seen more of Agent Chet Desmond and Phillip Jeffries, especially if the producers had trouble securing Kyle MacLachlan for more movies (as they had enough trouble getting him for his small role in FIRE WALK WITH ME). In particular, Jeffries' odd plotline about Judy in Seattle and the ring would have revealed more about the mythology of the Black Lodge. Supposedly, Engels explained that Judy is actually Josie's sister (probably their way of bringing Joan Chen back to the show), which is why Josie was always going to Seattle whenever she got in trouble. So, this implies that Josie's sister is mixed up with the forces of the Black Lodge and with a time-hopping FBI Agent. Interesting.

I've seen Jerry's brain -and he's right.
kim 13781
Roadhouse Member

Post by kim 13781 »

Audrey Horne wrote:kim -don't remember who's blog this was from -but here's some info from when the Gold Edition came out-

Now that we can all watch TWIN PEAKS from start to finish, the question lingers: what if there had been a third season? Over the years, various snippets of info have slipped out about what future seasons and future films would have depicted, and I think it might be nice to collect that information for those who are interested.

First of all, in the recent DVD documentary, Mark Frost mentions that the theme of the third season would have been about Cooper being both the hero and the villain of TWIN PEAKS. Up until the second season finale, Cooper had mainly been a force of goodness and justice, so for him to become the villain as well would have played into the show's theme of duality.

Recently, a bunch of information about season three was revealed by Matt Haley. Haley is an artist who was trying to create a third season graphic novel which would have been distributed with the Gold Box edition. He got a thumbs up from Mark Frost, and spoke with Robert Engels about the writers' basic plans for year three. Unfortunately, David Lynch nixed the project for various reasons that are probably obvious, a decision that even Haley admits was understandable. However, Haley did reveal some of the things Engels told him about the direction the series would have taken. Apparently, the possession storyline was meant to be wrapped up fairly early in the third season; no surprise there, seeing as how evil Cooper/BOB really couldn't have been the star of the show for 22 episodes. When taking Frost's statement into account, this implies that even after being released from the Black Lodge, Cooper would continue to struggle with his unleashed dark side, possibly for the remainder of the series. After the possession story was finished, the show would jump ahead several years into the future, mainly because many of the characters were high-schoolers and the writers wanted to see what happened when Donna, James, Audrey, Bobby, Mike and Shelly were further along in their lives. In the future, Cooper would quit the FBI and become the town pharmacist (which I can totally see), and Harry would no longer be the sheriff and instead would have become the town recluse.

At some point during the third season, Sheryl Lee was going to join the show again, this time as a redhead (though doubtfully as another one of Laura's cousins). This would attract BOB, who would eventually murder her. This is probably the event which would have set a new storyline in motion. In regards to the show's mythology, the writers were going to reveal that Mike and BOB originated in a world full of creamed corn, which explains all the references to creamed corn in the movie. Haley also described a surreal scene where Truman would drive Mike backwards into the Black Lodge (what the fuck?). Haley has taken some flack for that last part, as some fans got confused and thought this was his idea, dismissing it as nothing more than bad fan fiction. But he didn't come up with that scene; he's just describing what Engels told him. This highlights the fact that much of TWIN PEAKS sounds pretty ridiculous on paper.

Hmmm, what else? Years ago in an interview with Fangoria, Ted Raimi (who played Rusty, the metalhead murdered by Windom Earle) revealed that he was going to return for the third season. Supposedly, Earle was eventually going to escape from the Lodge, possessing some of the dark powers of the beings which dwell there. He would wind up kidnapping a preppy college student (also played by Raimi), and transport the soul of Rusty into the college kid's body. This would have continued the concept of possession and twinning which PEAKS was playing with. I for one am happy to hear that Windom Earle would have lived.

Also in a Fangoria interview, Billy Zane mentioned that he would have likely returned for the third season as well. Apparently, Audrey was going to find out she was pregnant, which would have necessitated the return of John Justice Wheeler to Twin Peaks. This confirms that Audrey survived the bank explosion, which I don't think is a surprise to anybody. Lynch and Frost were actually considering a spin-off series where Audrey goes to Hollywood, which would have been called MULHOLLAND DRIVE. Obviously, this never happened, but Lynch did redevelop the project years later without the Audrey character.

And although this isn't really confirmed, I think it's a safe bet to assume Ben Horne would have returned to his evil ways following his head injury.

Another thing of note is the information contained in some of the spin-off books produced to tie-in with the series. While the books are not exactly canon, the writers did try to reference them when possible. (For instance, in THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF FBI SPECIAL AGENT DALE COOPER, Agent Cooper travels to Deer Meadow to investigate the murder of Teresa Banks, and encounters resistance from Sheriff Cable. In FIRE WALK WITH ME, it's Agent Desmond who investigates the murder, as his character was created to replace most of a reluctant-to-return Kyle MacLachlan's scenes. However, the elements of Deer Meadow and Sheriff Cable remain in the film). Anyway, the TWIN PEAKS ACCESS GUIDE seems to offer some clues about a third season. For one thing, the fact that Andrew Packard is alive seems to be well-known in Twin Peaks, perhaps indicating that he went public after the bank explosion. Another interesting fact is the revelation that Major Briggs' work is based at Unguin Field Observatory (U.F.O.). Weird. Also, the book introduces the concept of the Circulars, a tribe that once lived in the area. Apparently, they believed in absolute karma, and would do things such as consume the flesh of good people to absorb their goodness. They would also smear themselves in elk feces so that no one else would try to do the same thing to them. Anyhow, the tribe now exists in Twin Peaks as the Circular Lodge, a secret society whose ways are largely unknown, and who have some mysterious connection to Owl Cave. While this may all be nonsense created just to fill the pages of the Access Guide, many of these facts were indeed written by series writers Harley Peyton, Robert Engels and Tricia Brock, which might indicate they were trying to plant seeds for the show's mythology.

The movie TWIN PEAKS: FIRE WALK WITH ME also contains a handful of clues about what would have come next, as the film was made with the possibility of other sequels and prequels in mind. There's a scene in the shooting script (though it's unknown if it was actually filmed) set immediately after the conclusion of the series. Harry and Doc Hayward burst into Cooper's bathroom, where he's lying on the floor, bleeding and laughing hysterically. They pick him up and take him back to bed. Meanwhile, we see Annie at the hospital shortly after emerging from the Black Lodge. She has the Lodge ring on her finger, and a nurse lifts it off of her.

It's worth noting that all of the scenes featuring Dale and Laura together in the Lodge are, from Cooper's perspective, occurring after the end of the show. David Lynch confirmed that the message Annie gives to Laura about the good Dale being trapped in the Lodge was meant to be used either in the third season or in a future movie. Laura would have written this down, and eventually someone would've found the message, and it would then provide the clue about why Cooper is behaving so strangely, ultimately setting in motion the resolution of Cooper's possession storyline.

Robert Engels has said that, had the story continued, we would have seen more of Agent Chet Desmond and Phillip Jeffries, especially if the producers had trouble securing Kyle MacLachlan for more movies (as they had enough trouble getting him for his small role in FIRE WALK WITH ME). In particular, Jeffries' odd plotline about Judy in Seattle and the ring would have revealed more about the mythology of the Black Lodge. Supposedly, Engels explained that Judy is actually Josie's sister (probably their way of bringing Joan Chen back to the show), which is why Josie was always going to Seattle whenever she got in trouble. So, this implies that Josie's sister is mixed up with the forces of the Black Lodge and with a time-hopping FBI Agent. Interesting.

I've seen Jerry's brain -and he's right.

Thanks Audrey this is really good info and very intresting I'll trust you about Jerry's brain he can keep it :D ps - I don't know if I like the idea of coop being a pharmacist weird! :D
Damn fine coffee...and hot - Agent Cooper
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Jerry listing the top ten TP scenes now!!!

oh boy. I'm sure this won't spur any debates at all. And I won't have any opinions on this at all ----- holding breath. Nope, lots of opinions.

Looks great, Jer.

#10 -the eve before the Miss Twin Peaks contest at the Roadhouse -the Giant's warning.
Good solid choice. (suffers from being in the late second season when no one was watching, and featuring Annie's Yoko Ono to Cooper's Beatles). But can't beat the montage capped with Dance of the Dream Man. (the biggest let down was the closing credits following it -Kimmy Robertson announcing the next episode would be two months later -way to kill any momentum, ABC).

Hmmm, you said only one of two non directed Lynch scenes.

Non-directed Lynch scenes -

*the iconic cherry stem tying interview?
*the Leland dance with Audrey crying?
*Laura's funeral?

all worthy

ugh, I don't envy you choosing only ten scenes. and naturally, I can't wait until the next entry.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Oh, also on the edge of my seat for your Galyn Gorg interview.

Any chance she talked about if she filmed scenes in 2.01 and 2.02? (she was listed in the credits) And those scenes in the script were awesome.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Audrey Horne wrote:Hmmm, you said only one of two non directed Lynch scenes.

Non-directed Lynch scenes -

*the iconic cherry stem tying interview?
*the Leland dance with Audrey crying?
*Laura's funeral?

all worthy

ugh, I don't envy you choosing only ten scenes. and naturally, I can't wait until the next entry.
More worthy ones:

*Leland's confession (2x04)
*the Log Lady's cabin (1x05)
*Leo's birthday party (yes, I'm serious) (2x06)

Can't wait to see which ones you'll pick.
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Audrey Horne wrote:...suffers from being in the late second season when no one was watching...
Yep, only about 5 million people!
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Audrey Horne wrote:Oh, also on the edge of my seat for your Galyn Gorg interview.

Any chance she talked about if she filmed scenes in 2.01 and 2.02? (she was listed in the credits) And those scenes in the script were awesome.
I just watched the series again and I'm fairly sure we see her in 2.02 for about 1 second. I will have to recheck the interview. We concentrated on the rescue sequence. It's a pretty good interview actually, we talked to her from her home in Hawaii. I wonder if she hooks up with Ontkean at all as he lives over there too? She recently appeared in an episode of 'Lost'. She talks a bit about Ms. Fenn by the way...

As for the top ten list, I'm sure I don't need to mention that it's my opinion only, as any top list can be. I made the list while doing a fresh marathon though and did it in a unique way. I did not throw in scenes automatically considered iconic (I think the cherry stem scene is 12th) However, all the scenes that made the top ten - gave me goose bumps as I watched them. I figure that's a pretty good way to do it! It's super tough though - have you guys made a top ten list of scenes? I'm telling you - it's very tough.

My choice for number 11 freaked me out too. Yep, Josie in a drawer handle. No way you say? Face it, that is one of the most talked about scenes among 'Peaks Freaks'. And with the lingering questions about 'What happened to Josie' and 'Were not talking about Judy' (Hmmm... J and J) this area will be talked about for some time to come. I must admit, BOB's question to Coop during that scene has always fascinated me. Is this only question that BOB ever asks? One thing I noticed for the first time recently was that Pete actually waves to Josie at the Great Northern! How could I have missed that all this time?
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

oh, Jerry -just giving you a hard time. You know whenever one puts something into a list of ranking it's immediately going to be debated. And that's where all the fun comes in.

I don't know where I'd even begin.

But it could be a lot of fun. Now I'm already thinking what mine would be. I think I'll list top ten moments that were the most exciting to watch for me -that had me jumping up and down at the time. Like for example, the moment of Annie and Cooper at the Roadhouse is good and excellently filmed but by then my friends and I weren't talking about it - versus when Agent Cooper opens his door and gets shot and leaving us all screaming and clamoring for the next season.

Yay, this will be fun.

Again, great work Jerry and can't wait for the interview and your #9 entry. You're the best.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Another one that would probably make my top 10 list: Jean Renault comforting Audrey after shooting Emory Batis. It's definitely on the top 10 creepy list, with stellar acting by both Parks and Fenn. (I will admit that Jean really isn't my favourite character, but he really shines there. For the first time we really get how dangerous he is, and establishing that is crucial to the plot. He's no small-timer like Jacques and Bernie, and this is the first time I really felt that.)
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Even - I like that scene too, however I'm not even sure sure it would make my top 20. I probably like the scene where Jean kills Battis better.

Audrey - I hate Yoko Ono! Never mention her and Heather Graham's character in the same sentence again! After all, about the only thing we can blame Heather for is a slightly wooden performance (slightly saved by the fact that hers is a bit of wooden character?) It seems to me that the writers and Kyle/Lara are more too blame for that area than anything else. Just my opinion though.

There is all sorts of lists one could make. If I were to make a top ten list of iconic scenes, I would think the cherry stem scene would easily make top 5. After all, how many times was that mentioned in the press/media? Rick Dees even got Madchen to tie one on his show! Also making the iconic list would be the requisite pie and coffee scenes I suppose.

No, when I made my list, I tried to do it as impartially as possible (lol). I didn't throw in any scenes because I thought others would expect to see them there.

Would love to see other people's top ten scenes. And Audrey, if your list has three or more scenes with Ms Fenn, I'm declaring you officially partial!