Sarah Palmer

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Dr. Jacoby
Roadhouse Member

Sarah Palmer

Post by Dr. Jacoby »

I've recently viewed this series for a 6th time in it's entirety and most everything I have figured out to make some sort of sense. However after Leland (bob) drugs his wife and she's crawling around on the carpet she looks up and sees a white horse? I am still puzzled by the significance of this horse. Anyone have any opinions? Is this a vision from the White Lodge?
The word linkage reminds me of sausages, didn't care much for the links... prefered the patties.
motoko
Roadhouse Member

Re: Sarah Palmer

Post by motoko »

When I first saw the episode in '91, my first thought was of Laura's pony, Troy, I think his name was, however, later on, I heard and then subscribed to the theory that the white horse signifies death.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

i'm pretty sure in the book of revelations there is a knight called death that rides a white horse.
leopheard

Post by leopheard »

A white horse can also be viewed as a metaphor for heroine. Like "ride the white tiger" etc.
rabbitsuit37

Post by rabbitsuit37 »

I think it signifies death in general, or when Bob kills because you see it again when Maddie Dies.
charles
RR Diner Member

Post by charles »

Just thought I'd take this opportunity to say that I LOVE SARAH PALMER!
The Magician
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Magician »

Sarah Palmer saw God.

Let me back this up. The Black and White Lodges are the names given by the indigenous peoples of the Twin Peaks area for what is known as Heaven and Hell in the Judao-Christian world. Those who are sinful, and are impure, referred to in this series as being of "imperfect courage", go to the Black Lodge (HELL). I believe there are many inhabitants and characters that we do not see over the course of the series, but the Midget seems to hold a great deal of importance. I am not convinced that he is The Devil, however.

The White Lodge (heaven) is a place where the "spirits that reside over man and nature reside". Those pure of heart reside there, as do all animals because they do not have the capacity to be sinful. Now while the Giant is an agent of Heaven, it is quite plausible that those in charge could be spirits of animals, which are very important in Native religions. I believe that the White Horse is God, and attempted to intervene, but Sarah was too drugged up to comprehend.

And there you have it.
Sometimes things can happen just like this. *snap*

J'ai une âme solitaire.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

watching episode 1 today, i began to wonder - when maddy and sarah have their visions of bob, is he trying to taunt them when he appears or are they foreseeing some kind of vision that neither they or bob have control of?...

i also find it odd that sarah had never had visions of bob before in their 20+ years of marriage until laura is killed. just some food for thought.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

k, one more question from episode 1 and the pilot - coop says ronnette and laura had sex with 3 men that night - does leland supposedly rape them as well? i dont know who else it could be aside from jacques and leo.
appleavengergrl

Post by appleavengergrl »

I'm fairly certain it's implied in FWWM that Leland/bob raped Laura and Ronette in the train car.
appleavengergrl

Post by appleavengergrl »

Scratch that, in the FWWM shooting script Leland rapes Ronette in Jacques cabin before he takes them to the train car. It doesn't mention Laura being raped but I'm pretty sure that's implied.
Simbabbad
Roadhouse Member

Post by Simbabbad »

appleavengergrl wrote:Scratch that, in the FWWM shooting script Leland rapes Ronette in Jacques cabin before he takes them to the train car. It doesn't mention Laura being raped but I'm pretty sure that's implied.
It's heavily suggested in FWWM Laura is raped in the train car, when she's filmed from underneath with a blank look on her face.

Anyway, I doubt the horse is death since we see it in FWWM before Leland/BOB crawl through Laura's window and has sex with her. It's clearly connected to her taking a drug, and my guess is it's both a symbol of drugs and of purity (unicorn). By drugging her, she can't know what's going on and stays out of everything and isn't an accomplice.
human germ
Roadhouse Member

Post by human germ »

magician- an excellent explanation; well, at least to my mind it is...

on a lighter note, though, i found the idea of a horse in a livingroom to be vastly amusing, as did i regarding the llama/alpaca in the vet's office.
done bun; can't be undone
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

I realise I'm 8 years late to the party, but thought I'd chime in here rather than start a new thread.

In Hindu mythology, Uchaishravas is a White Horse with seven heads who is spawned while the Asuras & Devas (powerful supernatural beings) churn Kshir Sagar, the ocean of milk.
Now, I've seen Bob loosely equated with Indra, & garmonbozia with Soma, & this also fits neatly within the Uchaishravas myth.

The ocean of milk is churned to produce Amrita, which is another name for Soma (garmonbozia) in the Rigveda, the earliest Hindu text.
Uchaishravas was stolen & ridden by Indra (Bob), who had a penchant for white horses.

In Twin Peaks we have a White Horse preceding the ritual harvest of garmonbozia. This is stolen by Bob, who is greedy for garmonbozia.
Then we have Uchaishravas produced by the churning milky ocean (ie: Soma factory). This is stolen by Indra, who is also (notoriously) greedy for Soma.

A nice coincidence, if nothing else.
I know it's likely/possible that the white horse was Frost's idea initially, but I find it interesting that Indra's theft of Uchaishravas is told in the Ramayana, amongst other works.
Isn't this Lynch's pet favourite Hindu epic?
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Saturn's child wrote:I realise I'm 8 years late to the party, but thought I'd chime in here rather than start a new thread. ...
Just wanted to invite you to these two oldies-but-goodies as well:

religious concepts of TWIN PEAKS incl. FWWM

Vedic/Hindu influence on FWWM