What did you see first, The movie or the series?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

rabbitsuit37

Post by rabbitsuit37 »

I saw the movie first and thats how i got hooked.
guest315
Roadhouse Member

Re: What did you see first, The movie or the series?

Post by guest315 »

Last edited by guest315 on Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pete Martell
RR Diner Member

Post by Pete Martell »

I saw the first season first.Back in 2006 the Second Season wasn't available and i was desperate to learn more,so i saw the movie.
coolspringsj
RR Diner Member
Location: RR Diner drinking coffee blacker than midnight on a moonless night

Post by coolspringsj »

I saw the series when it first aired back in '90-'91. Saw FWWM when it opened in theaters in '92.
Welcome to amateur hour. Looks like an all-nighter, boys.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

i saw the series on its original run (up until maddy's murder) and didnt see FWWM till 98 when i watched the rest of the series.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

wow, weird Brad.

I saw the series -the finale first -and then luckily started taping them all when they were reran in the summer of 90. (they put 1.05 and 1.06 together -so I always thought that was a double episode, which works really well combined)

called in sick to my teenage job on September 30th, so I could watch the second season premiere. My tapes were hot commodities in high school -and I would make copies for people to catch up. Had the Cooper/Audrey pic hanging in my locker.

cried when I had to work Saturday nights until ten and found out my mom switched the station for the second episode of the second season (Carol Burnett and Friends was no Carol Burnett show) -luckily got hom in time to switch it back in time to know Audrey Horne "get what I want!" (glorious!)

screamed with about fifteen people when Leland killed Maddy.

ugh -we have to wait two weeks after Maddy's body was found?!!!

Darn -thanks Entertainment Weekly for spoiling a funeral will take place and printing that picture of Leland dying.

Oh god -what is happening? Roadhouse scene -frozen stills, that's how Cooper solves this?!! Oh God, computer animated owl! Noooooo! make it stop. And no Audrey?

Come on, come on -when's the next episode. Another two weeks?! Hmmm, not liking this orphan plot. Yes! great glorious scene with Denise and Audrey! whoo hoo -Audrey kisses Cooper and marks her territory -can we get Cooper back in black suits, please?

good scene with Shelly and Leo attacking her -some promise now. Ugh -go away James and blond boring woman. Shut up, Donna! What gives, where are the Cooper/Audrey scenes?

Whew -finally back on track -Windom and his third rate disguises just gave the note for Audrey Horne -the Cooper/Audrey/Windom plot is back on track.

What?!!! Nooo, who's this douche bag in the cowboy digs and the bad wig? Why is scooby doo villain sending messages to Shelly and Donna too? They have nothing to do with the Cooper/Audrey/Windom storyline. Uh oh -the story is going in a bad direction -cowboy douchbag better be a speedbump. oh cool -there's BOB and little Mike. Josie's in wood.

WHAT? another month and a half?!! until the next episode?

hey, how come no one is watching this show with me anymore? Audrey what the hell are you wearing -and you look like a bobble head! Oh dear lord -it's the girl from License to Drive. Great line reading, Heather. Gee, I never noticed but Norma always seems stoned. Picnic with douchbag -"there was someone but not anymore... there's no one." Okay, that better just be drama to keep Sam and Diane, sorry Ross and Rachel, no, I mean Audrey and Cooper apart. Told my dad to start watching the best thing ever on tv. yeah, the little pine weasel cam didn't convince him. Bad episode to try to convert someone.

Cooper, you're lame! "light's out, kinda like my brain" indeed. Is the casting of Heather Grahm a joke? Oh look, Windom in another disguise -this really has turned into Scooby Doo. What next, a horse disguise? Oh wait, spoke too soon. Seriously, writers and directors -stick in the pilot and take some notes.

Ugh -way to deflate the virginal/bad girl Audrey character -at least she and Pete have good chemistry -Sherilyn, you're hair is tooooo big! John Justice whatever your name is -go finally! Audrey, go to the Roadhouse and please club Annie Yoko to death and bring Cooper back to the land of cool. Oh, neat ending with BOB -this is more like it. UGH -Kimmy Robertson just announced that Twin Peaks will be back on June 10th. Does that mean two more episode along with the other two?

No dice, TP is yanked until June 10th. None of my fellow Peakers are still watching -sure, they can go get drunk on the golf course while I make my Annie Blackburne voodoo doll.

My faithful Peaker friend Andrea is the only one really watching with me come finale night. The tension is high -who could possibly win Miss Twin Peaks? Wow, Cooper is quite the Romeo with all the talk about trees- yeah Annie's "forest" is something. maybe Audrey was right to lose interest. Deflowered Audrey tells her father she misses Jack and hopes it "doesn't hurt this much in a week." (they have to get the joke on that one). Sigh, Ben and Audrey as BFFs is about as interesting as a James and Donna make-out session. Hmmm, what new and exciting ways can we cover up Piper Laurie's stout figure -put her in a giant orange coat!

wow, Miss Twin peaks is embarassing. Whew -finally Cooper and Audrey again. Maybe Maclachlan is realizing just what he's done. Hmm, if you read Fenn's lips, you can see her tell Boyle, "you're an idiot. get me outta this show!" Oh, Annie won -shocker! Nice dress from the young miss prom collection 1991, bitch! In the strobe light, Fenn can be seen walking through the commotion knowing all this sucks hard.

Ronnette Palaski's back! Directed by Lynch!! woah, things are getting better. well, almost -Oh heather -can you every even put inflection into your voice? Shut up, Donna! (wow, so Ben Horne is her Daddy? -riveting!) holy shit -it's Sylvia Horne -it's been like a year and a half (poor, poor Jan D'arcy). OLD Audrey is back and is glorious again. This is more like it! "ask for Agent Cooper." -that's right, Audrey you tell them-Lynch isn't having any of that "Tell Jack he's the bee's knees." Boom! Holy shit -did Audrey just blow up? Twenty more minutes to fix that Lynch or I'm coming to hunt you down.

Red Room -coooool. Bye, bye Annie -that's right, you fade away. good riddance, Yoko "fuck up the best show" in the world. Yes! that's right, BOB -take out the lame Scooby Doo bad guys -"meddling kids." Laura Palmer is rocking this episode. Hi, Maddy. HIIIIII, Leland. (Ray Wise, you got out just in time, and came back at the right time). "How's Annie? How's Annie?" Actually, Coop -she's about as interesting as a bowl of cold oatmeal, but thanks for asking.

Ugh -I can't believe it's over. I need answers!

September 1991 -reading the local paper -TWIN PEAKS movie to start starring Kyle Maclachlan and Sherilyn Fenn. YES!!!!!!! this will put it back on track.

October 1991 -Fenn not doing it, Maclachlan only doing ten minutes. Prequel?! Laura Palmer? Oh come on!

Only poor Andrea goes with me to the movie in August 1992. great music. come on, come on -get out of Deer stupid meadow. YES, Twin Peaks sign. cheers from me -oh, only me -the rest of the audience has left or is asleep. Oh dear, Laura nice hair. okay, we get it -you couldn't have Audrey so we'll put Donna and everyone else in saddle shoes. tick, tick, how much longer is this thing? Oh, shut up, Laura. Harold Smith must have issues to listen to this whiny teenager. Yikes, shut up, Laura! you were more effective in flashback and a picture, now I just don't know why everyone didn't knock you off. Like a zillion hours later, is she dead yet? Finally.

Saddened that this is the end. TP nominated for a zillion raspberry awards.

Still love the soundtrack- and watch the movie a zillion times on VHS. Hey, Deer Meadow is pretty good.

keep making people watch the first half and reliving it. Hey, the internet is invented. Dugpa? what's that...

rest is history.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
motoko
Roadhouse Member

Post by motoko »

WOW, Audrey. That was just awesome! Can identify with a lot of your feelings, however, mostly I was just thankful another episode made it on the air. The way it was going, I thought every episode was going to be the last.
douglasb
RR Diner Member

Post by douglasb »

I can't be 100% on this, but I think the extended Euro cut of the pilot was available to rent over here before the TV show even aired Stateside. Either way, that was the first thing I saw.
b1chvj39

Post by b1chvj39 »

Saw the series on VHS in 1990 when my Mother was taping it on the night of the second season premiere. Got hooked on it!!! Saw the movie with an ex when it came out in 1992.
What we do in Life, Echoes in Eternity!!!

Gladiator - 2000
charles
RR Diner Member

Post by charles »

Audrey Horne wrote: I saw the series... ... ...
I watched series when it first aired. I think I'm in love with you Audrey Horne.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

charles wrote: I watched series when it first aired. I think I'm in love with you Audrey Horne.

who wouldn't be? :P

get that site of yours up!!
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Audrey Horne wrote:What?!!! Nooo, who's this douche bag in the cowboy digs and the bad wig?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

This made me laugh out loud. You know which parts I agree and disagree with already. I can definitely see the disappointment about Fenn not being in Fire Walk with Me, especially if you thought so beforehand. But Fire Walk with Me is still better than sliced bread.
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I like it now, but yeah just like all the others at Cannes and the general viewers, hated it when I saw it in the movie theater.
leopheard

Post by leopheard »

Thanks for the account Audrey!

Although, I think you liked it for many reasons I let pass me by. Sounds like you were into it more as a soap. I, as most I'm sure, loved Cooper & his pureness as an flawless character. Also loved the sci-fi element to it, not to mention deep sadness mixed with comedic moments.
The Magician
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Magician »

leopheard, You put it really well! I love the show for the same reasons.

I saw the entire series on DVD first, from beginning to end, watching one episode a night. I think the mix of consistency in viewings, and lack of pre-conceived notions helped make me love every fu#king second of it. I watched the movie on dvd about 2 months later (after having seen the series again, and read much about it online). I liked it okay the first time I watched it, but grew to dislike it more and more over time. I have yet to have seen it again.

I really feel sorry for people that saw the movie before the series. That would really have ruined it for me. Episode 14 was THE greatest shock of my life, and every episode before was filled with such suspense that would have been lost if the film had intervened...
Sometimes things can happen just like this. *snap*

J'ai une âme solitaire.