What's your Top 5 scenes in the series?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Dr. Jacoby
Roadhouse Member

What's your Top 5 scenes in the series?

Post by Dr. Jacoby »

#5-
Leland/Ben/Jerry Mares eat oates scene. Jerry Horne doing "the worm" on the floor and Ben tapdancing on the table is simply hillarious!

#4- Leland dancing in the living room with Laura's picture. What followed was an improptu breaking of the picture frame and cutting of Leland's hand sending blood all over the picture and a historical moment in the series' history

#3- Cooper Shot- "room service" "that milk'll get cool on ya" great beginning to the second season.

#2- Garland Briggs/Bobby Dream Conversation at the R&R. Emotional and truely gripping moment.

#1- Cooper/Harry/Log Lady gathering at the RoadHouse with Julie Cruise's performance of The World Spins. This scene gets me everytime and the ensuing "It is happening again" from the Giant is awesome.

Not necessarily scenes but honorable quotes that give me a chuckle are-

"Donna, whoever heard of diet lasagna?" -Doc Hayward-

and

"I feel like I've had my lips taped to the tailpipe of a bus" Pete Martell-
The word linkage reminds me of sausages, didn't care much for the links... prefered the patties.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Re: What's your Top 5 scenes in the series?

Post by TheArm »

#1 - Julee Cruise/"It is happening again"/Maddie's death/aftermath - Shocking, sad, terrifying, beautiful, haunting, dreamlike and stunning. Never seen anything like this sequence before or since on television.

#2 - The news of LP's death rippling through the town in the pilot - The entire sequence, from Sarah to Leland to the high school. I lived in a town where a young local girl was raped and murdered in the late '80s and this sequence just really nailed that horrible, eerie, tragic feeling and how it travels through and pierces everyone like a shockwave. Was also shocking at the time to see such raw emotion on TV, and on such a massive scale! Definitely led you realize you were in for something very different with this show.

#3 - Red Room dream - Just so iconic. That scene IS David Lynch to me.

#4 - "How's Annie?" - It's a good thing I didn't have a brick with me, or I would have thrown it at the television. An utter shock, but now I love it and wouldn't want it to end any other way.

#5 - "Just You & I"/Maddy's vision - I know people hate the song, but I love how daffy and dreamy it is; really capsures the melodrama and almost absurd intensity of teenage puppy love & hormones. I love the song. And then juxtaposition it with Maddy's BOB vision, and it's just awesome. A great example of how "Twin Peaks" can be funny, absurd, sweet and absolutely bloody terrifying all within the space of a few minutes.
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Good posts. All of these are classics.

Mine (at least today):
1) Leland confesses in episode 11.
2) The Roadhouse scene from the pilot. Julee Cruise singing while the fight is going on is perfect.
3) Audrey wakes up from her overdose and asks for Daddy. The whole sequence is perfect. So tense it's unbearable.
4) Yes, I like the Roadhouse/Maddy's death sequence too, like everyone else.
5) Cooper's dream. Because it's well, y'know, perfect.

Runners-up:
1) Laura's funeral. 2) Albert's philosophy. 3) Major Briggs's vision about his son. 4) The woods sequence from episode 5: first Log Lady visit, then Jacques's cabin.
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

yikes, I don't know how anyone could list five scenes -because the show works so well with one scene sliding into another scene -like a dream.

I think the third episode is so iconic (1.02) -providing the characters with their most famous moments- Cooper throwing rocks, Audrey dancing in the diner, Leland sobbing over Laura, and of course the dream. Visually it's the most satisfying of all the episodes.

The scenes that I would constantly rewind on my poor old tapes in 1990 were -all the Cooper/Audrey breakfast scenes -"Good morning, Colonel Cooper."

And sorry but the Audrey/Battis interview scene is genius -and what's more genius is when Audrey smokes in the closet.

I love the Audrey interview with Blackie and her Hester Pryne fakeout -followed by the cherry stem.

I love Leland's confession to killing Jacques.

Catherine's meeting with Walter Neft is glorious.

The Donna/Audrey bathroom scene is pretty darn nifty- excellent writing and visually arresting. "I think about Laura being in a place like that and I get all shivery inside... but it's like a hot cold like when you hold an ice cube to your skin for a long time..."

Cooper meeting Audrey for the first time -"just as long as those grapefruits are... freshly squeezed." The chemistry is electrifying.

Ah, screw it -no way I could choose five scenes.

Actually, one of my favorite moments is so simple -it's when the saddle shoes are shown and Audrey slips the note under Cooper's door, and glides a finger along the wall and locks eyes with the mysterious Asian gentlemen checking in.

I love Blackie's first entrance with all the OEJ girls lining up.

I love Audrey praying to Cooper.

I love Catherine dancing with Leland while Audrey cries.

I love the morgue fight scene with Truman and Albert.

too, too many to list.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

A list that changes somewhat. However, today it would be...

5) Hayward Supper Club. Amazing scene. The camera floats around like Laura's restless spirit. C'mon - Get Happy!

4) The rescue of Audrey from OEJ sequence.

3) The original dream sequence. Classic.

2) Final episode in the Sheriff's conference room - 'The Log Lady Stole my truck!" The music and mood drips like maple syrup.

and...

1) Roadhouse/Death of Maddy. Stunning. 'nuff said.

Too many runner ups to mention!
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Dr. Jacoby
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dr. Jacoby »

I wasn't attempting to limit it to 5, in fact mine change daily as well. Actually The Tibet Rock Throw scene would be up there for me as well.

Here's a question that doesn't have anything to do with the original topic. How do you all think the second note from Audrey went from the end table with the phone when cooper was shot to underneath his bed? Was it during room service or was there something more irregular at work?
The word linkage reminds me of sausages, didn't care much for the links... prefered the patties.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

plot device devised during the hiatus.

Needed more time for Audrey to be in danger and for Cooper to rescue her. Just like there aren't any white masks hanging on the wall behind Audrey in the first season cliffhanger.

I don't think the writers or creators gave it a second thought -and it doesn't bother me.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Another one I would actually list is Shelly giving Norma her notice in episode 14. I think it's a lovely moment between these 2 characters, and I love Angelo's music here, it just breaks your heart.
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

There are many great scenes between Pete and Catherine:

- Pete trying to make conversation with Tajimoro... "You're not from around here, are you?... Do you like musicals?" "NO. I find adherence to fantasy troubling, and unreasonable."

- Pete reciting Yeats to Catherine and her barely-contained irritation. "He's a poet." "Yes, Pete. I know."

- Catherine appealing to Pete for help in the first season - Pete desperately embracing her, and Catherine rolling her eyes as she feigns to console him.

- The Log Lady smacking Coop's hand when he tries to help himself to a cookie.

- And for good measure, "It's happening again" ... "I'm so sorry."
coolspringsj
RR Diner Member
Location: RR Diner drinking coffee blacker than midnight on a moonless night

Post by coolspringsj »

1. Maddy's death/Roadhouse aftermath scene - most horrifying death in series followed by most moving sadness to the tune of World Spins with an unlikely character Bobby getting choked up at something just beyond his grasp gets me every time.

2. Episode 2 Dream Sequence - never seen anything in same galaxy as this scene up until that point in my life.

3. Series finale Red Room sequence - an extended glimpse into the Lodges that carried a heavy weight due to the finality of the series.

4. Pilot episode sadness sweeping through town - they really showed how much this town cared about each other and how their idyllic portion of the world was never going to be the same.

5. Season 2 cliffhanger with BOB in the traincar - felt like a roller coaster ride through hell accompanied by demonic animal howls.
Welcome to amateur hour. Looks like an all-nighter, boys.
Dr. Jacoby
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dr. Jacoby »

garethw wrote:There are many great scenes between Pete and Catherine:

- Pete trying to make conversation with Tajimoro... "You're not from around here, are you?... Do you like musicals?" "NO.
I also enjoy the ensuing

"Can I offer you a saki?"
"No Thank you."
"Well then how about an ice cold Milk?"

And on the lines of Pete Martell- The "I owe it all to the late Jose Raul Capablanca"
MysteryMan
RR Diner Member

Post by MysteryMan »

So difficult to choose only 5 scenes. My favourite scenes also change with the times, so I have chosen some scenes I have enjoyed for the longest time and has moved me.

#1: Cooper, Truman and Annie talking at the diner in episode 25 with the beautiful "Hook Rug Dance" playing in the background.....
#2: Leland confessing to Laura's murder in episode 16.
#3: Leland comforting Maddy in episode 10 telling her "if life could be like those summers up at Pearl Lakes".
#4: Shelly telling Norma in episode 14 that she has to quit her job at the diner.
#5: Audrey talking to Cooper in his room at the Great Northern in episode 15, after Ben Horne's arrest.
#6: Donna, James and Maddy singing "Just You" in the Hayward living room.
#7: Maddy saying goodbye to James in episode 13
#8: The discovery of Laura's body in the pilot
#9: The gathering at the roadhouse in episode 16 when the mystery is finally solved and the giant returns Cooper's ring
#10: Audrey tying the cherry stem into a knot at Blackie's desk in episode 6
#11: Donna and James' rendezvous in the woods in the pilot
#12: the One Armed Man showing his true face and telling the lawmen where they can find Bob in episode 13
#13: Cooper telling Sarah that Laura forgave Leland in the beginning of episode 17.

The list goes on and on... So much for picking only 5! :-)
Last edited by MysteryMan on Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The next time you see me it won't be me...
b1chvj39

Post by b1chvj39 »

Here is my top 5:

1) Cooper and the whole Sherrif's Department Rock Throwing
2) Cooper, Truman, Hayward and Hawk having Tea with the Log Lady
3) Laura Palmer's Funeral
4) Andy Shooting Jaques Renault
5) Mayor Milford holding the Sherrif's Department at Gunpoint

Other favorites include: Hawk falling back while Andy opened the door, Josie getting caught, Brigg's return, etc.!!! I got so many of them!!!
What we do in Life, Echoes in Eternity!!!

Gladiator - 2000
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

this is impossible. especially with the first season and beginning of the second -it's like asking which gold is better this perfect gold or that perfect gold.

I love when the boys do the stakeout outside the Timber Pine Motel and Andy drops his gun causing Cooper to spin around and grit his teeth in frustration.

My favorite pause is Fenn's when Donna asks if she means OEJs is the "Western with Marlon Brando." It's so quick, but it's just the right amount of time that Fenn holds it before answering -like she's thinking "God, try to keep up!"

Can't believe no one has mentioned Laura's funeral when the reverand is speaking about Laura and it cuts to all the main players comparing them all to Laura.
Dr. Jacoby
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dr. Jacoby »

Yeah The Funeral was a good one too. I also enjoyed the conversation between Major Briggs and Bobby just before that.

"Don't be afraid son."

"I'm not afraid....

AFRAID!!??...I'm gonna turn it up...side...DOWN!"